Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

I dont like the look of them at all.

Kobus

Comment

• RNKC
            • Jun 2005

Interesting look, but I think I'll stick to the 800 series myself. Anyone heard them yet?

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I haven't heard them but they are supposed to sound simply amazing for a 2-way setup. Geared more of the super efficient crowd I suppose..
              -Joe

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                • May 2003

Wow thats a funky looking speaker.

*in my best connery voice*
                "Give me a ping, Vasily..one ping only, please."
                "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Cambs12
                  • Jul 2006

They look interesting,and i'm sure they sound very good,but for the price,if that is confirmed,i can't believe they are as good as 802d/801d/800d etc.I guess you would have to want them for the looks and what they are over absolute sound quality...

Comment

• Joey_V
                    • Jul 2005

Not even full range... and for 20K....

I want to see how this compares to the 800D (for the same price) or something like the Magico Minis (for similar price).... I like the marble tweeter enclosure though!

Joey
                    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• hd99yr
                      • Apr 2007

According to specs only rated for 50w -120w.
                      " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I think they are probably an exercise in marketing/collectibles/prestige.

I am sure they will sound a treat (just like 805s with a diamond tweeter and a bit more tweeking of the bass driver). They will only make 1,000 and will get us all to visit a B&W dealer to have a listen to them. While we are there it will be an excellent opportunity for us to consider upgrading something in our systems (speakers they hope), or if we are really cashed up we will buy a pair as much for their exclusivity as anything else, happy in the knowledge that their value will not diminish like more common B&Ws.

For non-b&W owners they raise the profile of the brand by looking unusual. I don't think this is an exercise like the snails where they were trying to push the boundaries of audio quality.

After saying that I will be the first to visit my friendly B&W dealer if they stock a pair, just for a listen you understand. I would be there even quicker if they had a pair of demo snails.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                          • Apr 2006

$18k.....its really a collectors issue....that will also sound marvelous I am sure, although you will definitely need a sub...I wish they would also sell a matching sub...I like the look....its different, but I dig it. Get in line, they will go fast.

The Silver Signature was one of the first speakers I ever drooled over when I was a teen. Still is. B&W's limited edition stuff is always very well done IMHO. Is it worth $18k? To some.

PS....looks like a new mid/woofer. Its not FST. So it must have some excursion to be able to get fairly low...

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

is there a market for collectible speakers? I mean we buy these to listen to, right? or is it an investment like previous posts allude to? I know I'm into vintage guitars and amps, but in 20 years, I won't be looking for these speakers I don't think...
                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Joey_V
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                              PS....looks like a new mid/woofer. Its not FST. So it must have some excursion to be able to get fairly low...
                              How come they got rid of the FST driver for midrange use? I thought that's BW's signature woofer....
                              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                • Apr 2006

It is likely an improved and larger version of whats in the 805. The FST drivers cant play low enough to cut it in a 2-way system. Its a 7" as opposed to the 6.5" in the 805.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

You almost said it yourself ie "FST driver for midrange use".

The FST is not suited to 2-way duties. It does not move enough air to woof and produce decent bass.

(as stated in the post above)
                                  Last edited by Briz vegas; 25 April 2007, 00:24 Wednesday. Reason: Audiophiliac types faster than I do
                                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

OMG, they really made the Bed Bath & Beyond trash can speaker!?
                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Gremal
                                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                      OMG, they really made the Bed Bath & Beyond trash can speaker!?
                                      No, it's a fire hydrant. Probably sounds ;x(
                                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                                        I haven't heard them but they are supposed to sound simply amazing for a 2-way setup. Geared more of the super efficient crowd I suppose..
                                        88 db. Not quite for the efficiant crowd.

Comment

• joetama
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                          88 db. Not quite for the efficiant crowd.
                                          You do have a point there... I figured it would be higher... I guess they were just trying to make a really over the top 2-way...
                                          -Joe

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2007

They are $18,000.00 US and there will be 500 pairs available in each of the two colors world wide. No more, no less. They are going to number them, 1 of 500, etc. so people will know which ones they have. The marble tweeter housing is alone is $5500.00 and the enclosure for the rest of the speaker has no visible seams all the way around it. They even put the inputs on the bottom of the speaker to keep the enclosure as whole as possible.

Eric

Comment

• Joey_V
                                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                              They are $18,000.00 US and there will be 500 pairs available in each of the two colors world wide. No more, no less. They are going to number them, 1 of 500, etc. so people will know which ones they have. The marble tweeter housing is alone is $5500.00 and the enclosure for the rest of the speaker has no visible seams all the way around it. They even put the inputs on the bottom of the speaker to keep the enclosure as whole as possible.

Eric
                                              Nice..... :T .

I, for one, really want to hear this sucker.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joey_V
                                                Nice..... :T .

I, for one, really want to hear this sucker.
                                                I doubt many dealers, if any at all, will put them on display to audition. B&W is asking dealers how many they want now and are going to bring in only what dealers know they will sell. You may get lucky in a big city, but with only 1000 world wide, they aren't going to sit on a dealers floor.

Eric

Comment

• Aldo
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi

Eric
                                                  Hi:
                                                  Could you tell me where you get that price? I can't get my dealer under 20K and he insist there is not a single dollar discount on them!
                                                  Thanks!

Comment

• Maverick71
                                                    • Nov 2006

They're about 16.000 € and I listened to them 2 weeks ago at the Lisbon HiFiShow 2007 (there are some pics over here: http://www.hificlube.net/common/ver_...o=Reportagens).

I did find them to have an amazing midrange and highs. Very precise, neutral and articulate sound. I don't like the looks that much but as stated here, they're supposed to be a collectors item. They are original, to say the least.

But still, I must confess that I'm totally addicted to my 802D's grip and full range, full bodied ability and could not go the 'standmount' route again. I listened to them for a few songs but when we changed them for the 802D's I thought "now that's more like it!". These do make me dance! Bless I have a pair at home 8) .

Mav

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Dog tags and trash cans... nice! What's next, balloons? :rofl:
                                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Maverick71
                                                        They're about 16.000 € and I listened to them 2 weeks ago at the Lisbon HiFiShow 2007 (there are some pics over here: http://www.hificlube.net/common/ver_...o=Reportagens).

I did find them to have an amazing midrange and highs. Very precise, neutral and articulate sound. I don't like the looks that much but as stated here, they're supposed to be a collectors item. They are original, to say the least.

But still, I must confess that I'm totally addicted to my 802D's grip and full range, full bodied ability and could not go the 'standmount' route again. I listened to them for a few songs but when we changed them for the 802D's I thought "now that's more like it!". These do make me dance! Bless I have a pair at home 8) .

Mav
                                                        Nice to hear some impressions!

Other than the obvious lack of bass extension, any other qualms with this collector's item?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Aldo
                                                          Hi:
                                                          Could you tell me where you get that price? I can't get my dealer under 20K and he insist there is not a single dollar discount on them!
                                                          Thanks!
                                                          My rep was in our store yesterday and that's what he gave me for MSRP.

Eric

Comment

• KRC
                                                            • Aug 2004

I also do not care fo the looks, collector or not. I would put that kind of money into 802 etc. They remind me of the round metal flue coming out of a pot belly stove. Nothing like the look of real wood!

Kevin

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                              • Jul 2006

FUGLY and ridicuously expensive. Simply a toy for those who must have everythimg.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                • Jul 2006

I think they look awful,and cannot understand why anyone would buy them over 802/800d...
                                                                If the sound is not as good overall as the above,then they will only appeal to people with more money than sense,tho i guess they might work in smaller rooms that 800d can't.
                                                                I can't understand why B&W has made them,unless some of the technology will filter down to other models in time,like the granite(or was it marble) tweeter housing.At least the Nautilus snails sounded superb.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                                                  I think they look awful,and cannot understand why anyone would buy them over 802/800d...
                                                                  If the sound is not as good overall as the above,then they will only appeal to people with more money than sense,tho i guess they might work in smaller rooms that 800d can't.
                                                                  I can't understand why B&W has made them,unless some of the technology will filter down to other models in time,like the granite(or was it marble) tweeter housing.At least the Nautilus snails sounded superb.
                                                                  I think that the most important is that we must hear them first to make conclutions!
                                                                  Oh! And I do like their look! A lot! :B

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

See... told you. ha ha

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

See... told you. ha ha

:B :B :B :rofl: :B :B :B I have to admit they look alike!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2006

I think there is a possibility to build our own version,i have a similar bin.. Now,where's my soldering iron and spare fst mid-range gone?

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 1199

Yeah it would be easy to knock one up - bet you it does not sound as good. It takes skill to turn a periscope into the ultimate 2 way speaker system

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                            • 191

Could just look at them,and have a pair of 800ds beside them to listen to!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

#39
                                                                              See... told you. ha ha
                                                                              Get in line Amigo... :B

My post.

Original thread.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 1930

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                Get in line Amigo... :B

My post.

Original thread.

Picture posted first... Ha ha :B
                                                                                If you reply back, you're just as retarded as I am. Ha ha

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

#41
                                                                                  If you reply back, you're just as retarded as I am. Ha ha
                                                                                  Okay you tempted me. :P

Nothing retarded about have an eye for detail, which you and I both have. Just having a little fun on B&W's expense I say.

Sorry B&W we love ya but I think it maybe time to re-evaluate the head of your design team.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2007
                                                                                    • 1532

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                    Okay you tempted me. :P

Nothing retarded about have an eye for detail, which you and I both have. Just having a little fun on B&W's expense I say.

Sorry B&W we love ya but I think it maybe time to re-evaluate the head of your design team.
                                                                                    Kenneth Grange is the one who designed these speakers. He as designed a number of speakers for B&W over the years going back to the first Matrix speakers. He has done the Matrix Series, the Silver Signature, the Signature 30 (one of the best sounding B&W speakers ever!), and a few others. He is one of the most famous industrial designers in the UK.

Eric

Comment

• Pato
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 23

#43
                                                                                      I do recognize that the white-bin-version is puke alike but the Wakame version is simply... f...great.

And i do fancy the sound of it, more refined than the 802D. But yes, the big 802 is more complete, say like Beyoncé. The Sigs are more like Carmen Electra... delight but with less *bottom*. :W
                                                                                      Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

• Gremal
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2007
                                                                                        • 195

#44
                                                                                        Hmmmmmmmm....wonder if i should ask my dealer about the possibility of a trade for my 802Ds...I really don't need all that bass and my room is so small I kind of like the idea of going for the smaller, more detailed speaker.
                                                                                        Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                                                                        Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                                                                        B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                                                                        VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                                                                        Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 4143

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Pato
                                                                                          I do recognize that the white-bin-version is puke alike but the Wakame version is simply... f...great.

And i do fancy the sound of it, more refined than the 802D. But yes, the big 802 is more complete, say like Beyoncé. The Sigs are more like Carmen Electra... delight but with less *bottom*. :W
                                                                                          If Carmen Electra has deficient "bottom" I'm looking at the wrong pictures!
                                                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"