X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Please Help! Which B&W's to Buy

I was ready to squeeze the trigger on a clean pair of 802 N speakers, when I got other choices presented that have me confused. I could really use some help making my final decision.

Current set-up: Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS (7 x 130 watts receiver); Classe CAV-150 (6 x 150 watts amp with 3 channel bi-amp or bridge options = 300 watts per channel); Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD/CD player; Sony KDL-46XBR3 flat panel TV; B&W 703 fronts; B&W HTM3S center channel; two Velodyne SC-15 subs; Transparent speaker cables for bi-amping.

Room dimensions: 32'L x 18'W x 22' ceilings. Seating facing entertainment setup from the width of the room.

My plan is to use the pair of 703s for the rear channels and select a stronger pair of front speakers.

Here are my choices at this point:
    - A traded pair of 803 N from a B&W dealer for $3,599 delivered, including $400 freight charges (ouch) to Florida.
    - A traded pair of 802 N from a stereo store. The dealer will deliver and set them up at my house for $5,300.
    - A demo pair of 803D (under warranty) for $6,000 plus tax = $6,390.

If you were looking for a well rounded speaker that can play a broad variety of music extremely well (including rock & roll), and is also the best bang for the buck . . . which would you choose?
    Last edited by beden1; 28 March 2007, 18:41 Wednesday.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Nautilus 803 with $400 freight charge = No
    I personally would go with the Nautilus 802, but there have been some testing here by a few that showed the the 803D can be just as good as the Nautilus 802 in most cases, and ever better. I only had a chance to listen the the D series in the store. Off the bat, I think the new 800 series is better suited for rock & roll than the Nautilus series. However, with that said, I still find the 700 series the best for rock & roll and other heavy music (rap, house, etc). Are you unhappy with your 703s?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I like my 703s very much, and even more so, the more time they get on them. In my primary home setup, I have kept my ADS 910 II Reference Monitor speakers that I bought in the late 70s. They are large with twin 10" woofers, and they have a very full sound with the large enclosures. They are also terrific rock and roll speakers that I will continue to use.

With the 703s, I think I'm missing the full engulfing sound presence that they just can't produce because of their smaller design. I do want to keep them in my setup, however.

I'm also right now only using 3 speakers (LRC) and two subs. My other setup has seven speakers plus two subs . . . so it's not a fair comparison for the 703s.

I have toyed with the idea of adding two more 703s, but, I still think I need larger cabinets for my main speakers.
      Last edited by beden1; 29 March 2007, 23:04 Thursday.

Comment

• Cambs12
        • Jul 2006

Hi Beden,

I am also looking to change to the above mentioned speakers,to replace my CDM9nts.
        I have listened to 803d,and was very impressed,i believe it is worth the difference in price from 803s or 803n
        I am curious now to hear the Nautilus 802n in comparison,but is difficult in getting to do this in the same listening conditions,due to 802n being on the used market.
        The 802d i have heard,and thought they offered a more effortless and detailed presentation to the 803d,tho how this relates to 802n i cannot say at the moment.
        If you look through this forum,there are a few threads relating closely to your question,one train of thought is the mid-range on 802n is better than 803d due to the marlan head enclosure,but that the tweeter on 803d is better...
        The 803n sound to expensive in relation to your other 2 options,so i guess you would need to audition to them in as close conditions as you can.Both are superb speakers,and represent i think good value for money.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by beden1
          With the 703s, I think I'm missing the full engulfing sound presence that they just can't produce because of their smaller design.
          You think you're missing it. You don't know yet, right? I suggest doing one thing. You have the money, right. Go to the dealer, talk about your thoughts on getting the 803D, but mention that you are very concerned on how they would sound in your home vs the 703s, and ask about borrowing them.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
            You think you're missing it. You don't know yet, right? I suggest doing one thing. You have the money, right. Go to the dealer, talk about your thoughts on getting the 803D, but mention that you are very concerned on how they would sound in your home vs the 703s, and ask about borrowing them.
            I should not have used the word "think". I am missing it!

I took your suggestion to heart and went to a B&W dealer near me to audition the 803Ds. I also listened to the 802Ds and the 803S.

I brought Santana's Abraxis, Phantom of the Opera, and Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live to audition. They were powered with a Classe 3200 amp and a pre-amp.

I felt the 803S is a great speaker for the money (in relative terms to the other models) that plays just about everything well. I could have definitely lived with these speakers after listening to them first.

I felt the 802Ds were wonderful speakers, and they sparkled with playing the Phantom of the Opera. I just closed my eyes during the vocals and felt I was floating. It was truly a nirvana experience. I can only imagine what the 800Ds sound like (but, I didn't even want to know due to their price). In my opinion however, the 802Ds are not the best suited for rock N' roll. I just got the feeling they were born to play jazz and concertos, and it would almost be sacrilege to listen to rock or new age music. In fact, if I had these speakers, I would trash my CD player and run out to get a high end turn table and only listen to LPs.

Which brings me to the 803Ds and listening to two of my favorite recordings in Abraxis and Growing Up Live. Where the 802Ds are brilliant in playing the likes of the Phantom, the 803Ds just really excelled in what I listen to most. These speakers bring it from the gut. They are very accurate and lively, and have a much fuller and smoother sound than do my 703s (they should for the price difference). When my neck hairs started standing up, I knew I was in love. These things did everything well for me, including the base response that was heart pounding when we cranked it up. And like most B&W speakers, these just love it when you up the juice. I listened for a while, and never had a sense that my ears were strained or ready to bleed, etc. Just very very good speakers for my needs.

I got home and called my B&W dealer in Florida and bought the demo pair that they just decided to sell off of their floor. I got a great deal along with the 5 year warranty. I am really looking forward to getting these babies staged. The dealer is also giving me a 30 days satisfaction should I decide they sound like trash in my home . . . which I would doubt.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

I would have suggested getting the 802N from the Florida dealer.... but you beat me to it. :T

Great choice! Let us know how the 703.... ahem... stacks up.

Enjoy your new babies!
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Joey_V
                I would have suggested getting the 802N from the Florida dealer.... but you beat me to it. :T

Great choice! Let us know how the 703.... ahem... stacks up.

Enjoy your new babies!
                Thanks Joey! I'll be setting up next week and will let you know my thoughts afterwards. I'll try to take some pictures too if I can figure out how to post them on the forum, but, that's a whole nother subject.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

The 803Ds will love the Classe' power (bridging may induce distortion). With the 3 woofer setup you may not need your subs for music.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by miner
                    The 803Ds will love the Classe' power (bridging may induce distortion). With the 3 woofer setup you may not need your subs for music.
                    I have yet to set-up the Classe amp. It's interesting that I got differing opinions when asking about the best way to utilize the amp to power the three front speakers. When speaking directly with Classe, they felt it was best to use the bridge option. I later spoke with two Classe/B&W dealers, and their opinions were to use bi-amping.

I am going to first set them up with bi-amping, and then I'll play with it back and forth when I get the chance. I like the flexibility of either bi-amping or bridging with this amp though.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"