X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goffriller
    • Jan 2006

802 versus 802D

I have a pair of 802 Nautilus.
    How much better are the 802D's. I have top electronics by Spectral and Clearaudio Table with Strad cartidge.
    THanks.
    I'm into classical stuff, basically
  • Rob72
    • Dec 2005

Hi G,

First I wanted to ask you how you like the Spectral combo with B&W. Spectral is one of my favorite audio companies! Which spectral amp do you have? Dma-150, 250 or the 360's? The usual match with these amps are the wilson/martin logan or verity so it really cool to see someone match it with the B&W's.

I have the 802D's coming in tomorrow (purchased them last week). I was blown away when I heard them. I had the N802 for about 2 weeks at my place on demo before I purchased my 802D's. Its pretty hard for me to compare the two without them being side by side but I liked the sound better when I auditioned the 802D's.

Do a search for 802D. Some have done some pretty nice comparisons.

Comment

• goffriller
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply. I did find a good review.
      I picked Spectral because in a fairly quick comparison I found that it resolved more details than the competition in stuff like Heifetz records. I play in the BSO for a living, am used to Symphony Hall eupohonics, so what I value in hi fi equipment is clarity and nuetrality.
      And BW is sort of a loyalty thing. Started with the dm6, then 802 matrix, then 802n.
      I have a hunch its a good value too, since its more mass-marketed than some of the other speakers you mentioned.
      I will definitely buy the 802Ds, but probably not for a while.
      Do you like sound-anchors with them? I use them.
      I have the Spectral dma 150 and the preamp #20.
      Best
      G

Comment

• Rob72
        • Dec 2005

Hi G,

Yes the 802D's are really nice. I guess I could say it was a loyalty thing as well since I have used b&w speakers for the last 10 years. I actually was choosing between the 802D and the Wilson Audio Sophia but decided on the 802D. It suited my purposes of 2ch and HT really well and looks were a bonus. My wife really did not like the look of the Wilson's and since the 802D's are in the living room I had to satisfy her as well. Both speakers were tremendous in soundstage.

I do not use sound anchors......I thought about it but have decided to place them on spikes. It's a little more of a cleaner look for me. I know the sound anchors though work really well.

Great Spectral combo. At some point I will be looking at the Spectral Dma-250 and 15 or 30 pre amp. My pocket book needs to recover from the 802D's. Did you get your gear at Goodwins?

I don't think you'll be dissappointed in the 802D's audition them and you'll see.

Cheers
        -R

Comment

• goffriller
          • Jan 2006

yes

Got it at Goodwins.
          Also, I had an earlier version of Spectral stuff before the 150 and 20.
          My friend who is an accoustic engineer who recorded my solo cds is the one who started me on the 802d . He's trading his old ones.
          I just thought I'd relay his opinion to you: that the electronics don't matter much at all - its the room and the speakers.
          Alan wouldn't agree with that, would he?
          J

Comment

• Rob72
            • Dec 2005

HaHa.....no I doubt alan would agree.

Interesting observation especially from an acoustic engineer. Its great to hear that he gives a vote of confidence to the new 802D's.

Comment

• Pieter
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by goffriller
              ...I found that it resolved more details than the competition in stuff like Heifetz records.
              May I ask which Heifetz recordings?

Comment

• goffriller
                • Jan 2006

I have so many - it doesn't matter - the point is that the SPectral equipment is very very fast and transparent.
                I acknowledge that my testing was not up to a true "scientific methodology"
                I'm not really an audiophile by hobby. My system is a window to look into the musical landscape, and its a clean window.
                Having said that, I still am burning to acquire the 802Ds even though until I learned of their existence, I was totally happy with the 802Ns.
                G

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"