• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crisinho
    • Apr 2005

New B&W 600 series??

Hi everyone!!!
    At first, i must apologize for the poor english
    I got a question; is there a new 600 series coming out at the market??
    Thanks.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Yes. They will be shipping in the US in about 60 - 75 days. I don't have any real detailed info, but my B&W rep told me there will be two bookshelf, two floorstanding, two center channel, two subwoofer, and one rear channel models.

Eric

Comment

• Lectoid
      • Jan 2007

Damn, I just bought my DM603s3's two months ago. I called B&W at that time and they had no info about a new line of 600 series.

Not that I am complaining about my 603's, but I with I had known to at least wait it out.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Stereo equipment is getting like computers and TVs . . . new models coming out once a year+. Just makes one feel so very special forking out top dollars for stuff that is obsolete before the money has even cleared the bank.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

How does a speaker become obsolete? I made a jump to the B&W 800 Series last year, and plan to keep them around for a loooooooong time. :W
          Brad

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by beden1
            Stereo equipment is getting like computers and TVs . . . new models coming out once a year+. Just makes one feel so very special forking out top dollars for stuff that is obsolete before the money has even cleared the bank.
            For electronics - yes, especially the run of the mill makers i.e: Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer etc, as we see new equipment each year. This is less of an issue for mid-fi or hi-fi brands.

For speakers - no. Look at the last generation of B&W 800 series which were out for what over 7yrs. I'm sure this current generation will follow suit. Speakers are more of a "long" term investment in my opinion.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

I agree that speakers are a long term investment. Actually, I still use main speakers in one of my setups that I've had since 1978.

But, that doesn't stop manufacturers from trying to woo you into thinking that what they are offering today, is the latest and greatest "have to have" equipment. Just ask the people who bought the B&W Nautilus Series speakers that are trading/selling their speakers for the latest and greatest Diamond Series.

And, in so doing, they also "have to have" matching Diamond Series center speakers and surrounds . . . just to match the timbre.

Sony, Pioneer, etc., are not alone in their strategies to keep attracting one's hard earned dollars.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

scandio is right. If you look a the 600 Series, the current version (Series 3) is the oldest in the B&W line. It's been around for 6 years or so now. I'd call that staying power. Even at that "age" they are great sounding speakers and hold up against anything in the market place for the same money.

Eric

Comment

• corysmith01
                  • Feb 2005

This is interesting. Does anyone have any info on them? I did a search, but nothing turned up. Will they just be the new series, i.e. B&W 600 Series 4 (6xx s4)? I parted with my 601 s3's a while back just because I love to try out new stuff, but I remember liking...okay, loving...them for how little they set me back. Maybe I'll have to give the new version a whirl and sell of my current pair. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :T

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

noooooooooo. I just bought some bookshelves. i'm hoping this one looks a lot cooler (the s3 did over the s2)

if it looks cool enough, I might double dip

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by corysmith01
                      This is interesting. Does anyone have any info on them? I did a search, but nothing turned up. Will they just be the new series, i.e. B&W 600 Series 4 (6xx s4)? I parted with my 601 s3's a while back just because I love to try out new stuff, but I remember liking...okay, loving...them for how little they set me back. Maybe I'll have to give the new version a whirl and sell of my current pair. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :T
                      There is no info yet. My rep will be by my store in a few weeks with all of the info. As soon as I get something solid I'll try to post it ASAP.

Eric

Comment

• beehive
                        • May 2005

hmmm

Call it sourgraping, but i already given my heart
                        to my 602 S3's speakers.
                        on my level, I already came into the realization that the sound is sweet so I stopped looking for amps, wires,etc..etc... i have beated the upgraditis before i shelled out more money too... i instead invested on CDs and DVDs....on my part, the Nirvana is here, what is more sweeter than liking what you already have now, its a Bowers and Wilkins speaker anyway.

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Really this might be a great time to pick up some S3 stuff for a cheap price...
                          -Joe

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                            I agree that speakers are a long term investment. Actually, I still use main speakers in one of my setups that I've had since 1978.

But, that doesn't stop manufacturers from trying to woo you into thinking that what they are offering today, is the latest and greatest "have to have" equipment. Just ask the people who bought the B&W Nautilus Series speakers that are trading/selling their speakers for the latest and greatest Diamond Series.

And, in so doing, they also "have to have" matching Diamond Series center speakers and surrounds . . . just to match the timbre.

Sony, Pioneer, etc., are not alone in their strategies to keep attracting one's hard earned dollars.

Consumers were begging B&W for a new line of 800 series products... it wasn't quite a marketing trick as implied...

and the 600 has been around for years and years... it's time (right now)

-

Comment

• marano
                              • May 2006

Here They Are

Originally posted by joetama
                              Really this might be a great time to pick up some S3 stuff for a cheap price...
                              That's what I'm hoping, Maybe I can pick up a nice LCR600 S3 cheap. Anyway here's some pics of the new S4's from the PDF that has been floating around.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• marano
                                • May 2006

Here's a few more

Available colors, New Tweeter and In action
                                Attached Files

Comment

• krek
                                  • Jun 2005

Will the S4 serie have an internal matrix structure like the 800's? As far as I know S3 does not have this feature, so this will make the units interact (or so I am told...).

Comment

• worldys
                                    • Dec 2005

is that an FST on the 683 (604s3 replacement), if you look at the midrange, it doesn't have the same rubber surround on the midrange as the 684 (603s3 replacement)

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Yes the DM683 and the HTM61 both have an FST midrange.

The 600 Series won't have a matrix cabinet, but I don't know if the FST will have it's own enclosure in the DM683 and HTM61. I'll know in about three weeks when my rep comes by for a full training.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"