X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEF
    • Aug 2004

Would you buy a New RBCD player now?

I have been kicking this around now for a while, and still have not been able to decide one way or the other, so I am look for some opinions.

I would like to replace my CD player (Rotel RCD-1072) with something else. I am driving my N803s with a FPB-300cx and a Krell KAV pre. My two upgrades for this year are moving to the 802Ds, and a new source.

The problem is, I can't decide if a digital medial server is the way to go (like the Escient Fireball E2-300) or a better dedicated RBCD player like the Cary 303/300 (or similar).

Part of me wants the flexibility of the tubes / digital output that the Cary offers (or something similar) just to play with, but every fiber in my body is screaming I'd be nuts not to hop on the Media Server bandwagon.

I suppose the Escient plus a high end DAC (with tubes) could be the most flexible...

So what do you guys think? If you had to make a choice today, would you go RBCD only or make the leap into Digital Media / DAC?

Cheers,
    Keith
  • SCULLY
    • Jan 2007

Take advantage of Krell and balanced inputs , get a krell SACD , it is great in redbook and SACD.

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I use a Mac as my primary source. Once you get used to the point and click interface to music it is hard to go back.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

No way would I buy a new RBCD now - I just bought one 3 weeks ago.

I like music on physical media, the CD (or record) collection in the corner. Reading the sleeve notes, searching for the case when it is right behind me. Its the ritual of the whole thing. CDs will still be round in 10 years - and if not I can aways burn my own.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

My CD collection is reasonably extensive and I intend to grow it further over the next little while. Accordingly I just picked up a brand spanking new Mark Levinson 390s. Early impressions now that I can listen to it at home - I am deeply impressed. I didn't know that CDs could sound this good!

System:

N802
          N805
          HTM4
          Mark Levinson 432 (400w x 2)
          Proceed Amp 3
          Proceed AVP2
          Pioneer Elite DV37 (dvd)
          Mark Levinson 390s

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
            I have two systems set up at home. My main listening room system is audio only. Actually, 2 channel only. For this system I would definitely buy a specialized Redbook only player. In fact I am seeking one right now.

My HT 5.1 bedroom system is not as good as my main system (but still good) and I would not buy a CD only player. While I am set up for an for an audio only mode, I watch movies on this system which is its primary use. I use one player for both audio and video. It would be silly to limit the system to Redbook only. But, I'm not in the market for a new player until the format wars settle down. Then maybe.....

While the march of technology has some real benefits, I sure wish things would settle down. I don't have an infinite money supply.

Sparky

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

LINN could be a good choice too !!
              Cheers

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

I went around 360 degrees. I have a Denon 5910 CD/DVD player that also does SACDs. About 4 months ago I bought a Slim Devices Transporter... I used EAC and FLAC to rip CD collection at high quality. Loved the sound on my B&W 800Ds. I A/B'd the Denon vs Transporter and thought the Denon was slightly better on my Levinson 320s. Since the Transporter was close in sound quality, I thought the convience of server based music was better. Then I made a mistake. I got a loaner ARC LS26 (smaller REF3), and a Meridian 808 CD player (Reference Meridian CD Player). The sound of the music was stunning! So much better than the Denon and Transporter that I bought the REF3 (won't get it for 3 weeks) and the Meridian 808. Here's my new strategy. Sell the Denon and use my new Blue Ray player for Blue Ray Discs and upscaled DVDs. For casual listening or background music use the Transporter. For critical listening the 808 CD player all the way with a smile!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                  Then I made a mistake. I got a loaner ARC LS26 (smaller REF3), and a Meridian 808 CD player (Reference Meridian CD Player). The sound of the music was stunning!
                  For the cost of those two jewels it oughta be!!!
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

On 800Ds - I would have thought Meridian 808 would almost be a standard ancillary for a system at that level. Of course you could have looked at the Naim 555 also, but I am Naim biased (like most owners of their stuff) and I believe they cost more also.

I think it is great that you can now get such great sound quality at the Shanling T80/ Rega Apollo price point. I only spent more because I wanted to make sure I was not tempted to upgrade again........and I guess I just preferred the Naim sound.
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

If I didnt have a RBCD plaeyr already, would buy one in a flash witout hesitation. CD is the biggest part of my music collection which includes vinyl and sacd as well. Vinyl an sacd are limited in availability and choice of titles and anyways superb results can be had of CD. As posted by others CD si probably the most accepted audio format right now and likely to be around for a long ...long time in the future..
                      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                        • Mar 2005

Britz vegas... I didn't look at the Naim 555 (maybe next pass at this)... I looked at the Esoteric X-01 Limited and EMM Labs (on paper only) and decided since I also have a Meridian G68, I would get the Meridian 808 to pass HQ data via MHR. So I can listen to the REFf3 and 808 for excellent analouge or if I want room correction at it's highest quality in my system, use the G68 with MHR from the 808.

alebonau, after trying the server routee and hearing it at high quality, I have to agree with you, for critical listening and choice of titles, CDs are here for a while. Yet for casual listening server based music is excellent.

Comment

• KEF
                          • Aug 2004

Interesting

Thanks for the comments guys, it is interesting that most of you still haven't jumped on the this trend.

Appreciate the comments -

Keith

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"