X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liotheles
    • Feb 2007

How to replace tweeter on 805s

Hi all B&W lovers.. :P
    Could you please explain to a novice like me, how to replace the whole tweeter on a pair of 805s. Happy if you could include some pictures or sketches. Thank you very much!
  • Liotheles
    • Feb 2007

Nobody have done this it seems ?

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

I'm shure someone did, just give some time for an answer!
      Do you already have your tweeter, if it was delivered directly from B&W it should came with that explanation!
      As far as I know it is very easy.

Comment

• Liotheles
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Aldo
        I'm shure someone did, just give some time for an answer!
        Do you already have your tweeter, if it was delivered directly from B&W it should came with that explanation!
        As far as I know it is very easy.
        OK, thank you for the response, I am maybe a bit restless :roll:
        No, I have not received the tweeter yet, so I hope it's explained in the documentation there.

Comment

• Aldo
          • Sep 2005

Shure it will, if it doesn't, let me know, I can call my dealer and ask for the favor!
          Last edited by Aldo; 16 February 2007, 16:04 Friday.

Comment

• Iggurk
            • Jun 2006

Hello!

First remove the medium speaker, then I bet that you will find inside screw(s) to remove the tweeter.

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

I blew one on my 805S, if that is what you have it's simple, just pull it out gently, it just sits in the tube, it's easy, and i am a complete retard, so you can do it

happy to help if you need a walk thru, you can call me off my website

regards

Kurt

Comment

• Liotheles
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kurtholz
                I blew one on my 805S, if that is what you have it's simple, just pull it out gently, it just sits in the tube, it's easy, and i am a complete retard, so you can do it

happy to help if you need a walk thru, you can call me off my website

regards

Kurt
                Thanks for the responses everyone.
                Yes it's a 805s. You say "pull it out of the tube" ? I think I will receive the complete tweeter-housing and thought I'd replace the entire thing.
                Then I guess I have to unscrew the midrange?

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                  • Nov 2006

Liotheles, if you dont mind me asking how much did the replacement of the tweeter run you in price?

Comment

• Liotheles
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
                    Liotheles, if you dont mind me asking how much did the replacement of the tweeter run you in price?
                    Not me paying for it so I don't know....

Comment

• BWterminator
                      • Dec 2008

Replacing B&W Matrix 805 Tweeter - easy and relative bargain

OK...just replaced tweeter on one of my 1997 manufactured B&W Matrix 805 speakers. Very simple process and B&W (and local dealer Myer Emco) made the entire experience a breeze.

At bottom of this thread are B&W contact links/telephone numbers/etc...

My tweeter diaphragm was damaged after the speaker fell forward onto edge of table.

I contacted B&W support through their web site, and was referred to my local dealer. I requested that the part be delivered in time for Christmas and as requested in came just in time (took only 2 weeks turnaround time).

Did NOT get the entire casing, just the tweeter unit, and cost was approx $160 including screen (believe it is $285 to get entire tweeter and casing unit).

1) I carefully lifted entire tweeter casing off top of speaker (I suggest pulling gently up from the front edge as back end has tongue/groove attachment and front end of base is designed to snap in/out).

2) Once released from base, there are connector wires, which you simple separate and then you will see one phillips head screw underneath.

3) Remove screw and then slide tweeter out from the front of plastic casing.

4) Replace with new unit and the reverse steps above to secure back to speaker base.

Note that it easier to replace screen cover while tweeter is detached.

Also note that the color of the tweeter diaphragm is different on the replacement unit (same part codes, etc.). My original damaged tweeter was a grey/green color…the replacement was silver. Also note that there were two metal prongs sticking out about 1/16 inch on originals, not present on replacement. There is no sound difference detected whatsoever (I tested Mobile Fidelity cds and SACDs) and I assume these are manufacturing changes that occurred after manufacture date on my original speakers.

Also note that I seemed to have received wrong screen both in depth and different plastic ring (matt color versus gloss and slightly higher edge of plastic. This cost approx $17 and confident dealer will take back for refund (I ended up bending back original screen into shape.

All in all, excellent experience with both B&W and local Washington DC dealer (Myer Emco). Prompt service and immediate feedback on email requests. Both took extra steps to ensure I received the parts before Christmas and gave immediate communication on status…I am impressed!

Hope this helps anyone who has similar experience!

Contact B&W dealer with worlwide link to details at:

In NA, here is contact info:

B&W Group North America
                      54 Concord Street
                      North Reading, Massachusetts
                      Tel: +1 978 664 2870
                      Fax: +1 978 664 4109
                      Email: marketing@bwgroupusa.com
                      Web: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com
                      Find your local retailer

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"