One of my 805S speakers got knocked over and damaged.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romnation
    • Jan 2010

One of my 805S speakers got knocked over and damaged.

Someone knocked over one of my stand mounted 805S speakers and it proceeded to fall into my power amp, which left a big gash in the top of the wood, and some scraping near the back, as well as some scraping on the side of the speaker. Also looking at the tweeter it looks like back of the tweeter (where the silver tube part is) got scraped a little. It's hard to see in the picture though.

The speakers seem to be sound fine still, but I am wondering if anything was hurt, aside from cosmetics when it fell.

Also how should I go about getting the speaker fixed? What can I do? I know I could just replace the tweeter, but what can I do about the wood damage? (I'd rather not have to do anything DIY if possible)

Here is a picture
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

That makes me want to cry... This is my single biggest fear with my 804s...
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• azazel
      • Dec 2010

Ouch. If you have insurance you could claim and get them replaced. If not, you could get them repaired but it will not be invisable. A good french polisher will be able to fill the dents and scratches with coloured wax or shelac fillers which will make it less noticable. You could try it yourself with the coloured waxes that are widely available. I would recommend looking on youtube at videos on repairing scratches to furniture like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8b9c...eature=channel The complete tweeter housing can be replaced with spares from B&W. I doubt that there will be any internal damage.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by azazel
        Ouch. If you have insurance you could claim and get them replaced. If not, you could get them repaired but it will not be invisable. A good french polisher will be able to fill the dents and scratches with coloured wax or shelac fillers which will make it less noticable. You could try it yourself with the coloured waxes that are widely available. I would recommend looking on youtube at videos on repairing scratches to furniture like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8b9c...eature=channel The complete tweeter housing can be replaced with spares from B&W. I doubt that there will be any internal damage.
        What do they use!!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• quan325i
          • Apr 2005

Functionally, I think it's ok. Unless you're really good with woodworking, I wouldn't touch any finishing materials. To me, it's better having a scratch than having two speakers with different colors.

Comment

• Isaac
            • Jan 2006

Get better stands, The B&W 805 stands filled with sand/shot will work wonders.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by quan325i
              Functionally, I think it's ok. Unless you're really good with woodworking, I wouldn't touch any finishing materials. To me, it's better having a scratch than having two speakers with different colors.
              Or you could have it refinished entirely
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• romnation
                • Jan 2010

Well I am having it worked on at a furniture repair shop right now. He says it won't be perfect, but it will look a lot better. Only charged me $80.

Also the mark on the side of the speaker actually appears to be dented in slightly. It's very slight, and you can't really tell unless you actually run your hand over it. I'm just wondering, will any of this damage to the cabinet affect the audio quality of the speaker?

Comment

• azazel
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by romnation
                  Well I am having it worked on at a furniture repair shop right now. He says it won't be perfect, but it will look a lot better. Only charged me $80.

Also the mark on the side of the speaker actually appears to be dented in slightly. It's very slight, and you can't really tell unless you actually run your hand over it. I'm just wondering, will any of this damage to the cabinet affect the audio quality of the speaker?
                  Oh yes.....The sound will radiate around the smooth sides of the cabinet until it reaches the scratch where the sound will refract like a ball in a pinball machine until it ricochets out completely destroying the imaging illusion. You need to get that scratch filled. :roll:

Comment

• azazel
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by wettou
                    What do they use!!
                    Think now....Ok, I will make it easier for you.

"fill the dents and scratches with coloured wax or shelac fillers"

Its the flouride in the water. Nice teeth though.... :B

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"