For those of you using a sub with 802D's...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • norpus
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
    Hey guys:

Would you mind please answering the questions below, which I think would be helpful to many forum members?: Sure

1) Considering that the 802D's are amazing full range speakers, what made you decide to integrate a sub into the mix? Yes I commented initially I would not need a sub after I 1st listened to them at home- then I added my IB sub and yes there was extra dynamic and pleasure. Whilst the 802d can do well to say 30Hz, the IB can go to 10 and on some techno tracks the bass rolling down below 30 and 20Hz is just 'missing'. If one hasn't experienced it, one doesn't know what is missing I found. Admittedly not that high% if tracks go this low, but unfortunately with the capability of the system, these tracks are now what I kinda like :P The IB sub is very easy to integrate into music also - it is in floor mounted between the mains.
    2) Do you only use the sub for movies and multichannel audio sources, or do you also use it for 2 channel audio CD's? Both 2ch and multichannel HT/TV/music

3) Do you cross over the frequencies, so that certain low frequencies are sent just to the sub and not the 802D's? Or do you double the bass, meaning that the same bass signals that are sent to the sub are also sent to the 802D's? Yes , I have tried both ways.
    Crossover in a 2ch only system is easily achieved with a Behringer CX2310 (<$110US). It has variable xover from 44Hz upwards (I found 60 in my room ideal, and fits in nicely with the natural rolloff of the 802d). We (a few mates and I) have found the behringer gear transparent to music and very affordable too
    I've also tried sending both 802d and sub full range signal and rolling off the sub at 12dB/octave above 40Hz. Seems to work nicely too - but can't work this way when I have my HT gear integrated also
    I find some small lift in the midbass clarity is nice when the crossover is in play - just takes a bit of load off the cones and amps to sound just that tad sweeter

4) For your crossover, around what frequency do you set it to? Do you vary it depending on movie or music, or did you find a compromise for one setting that always stays the same?
    60Hz for my room and speakers- generally set and forget. For HT lfe integration and rears bass management, I also use a behringer MX882 mixer and equalise the room with the fbq2496 behringer. The avr is set at 80Hz (for the rears are bookshelfs) and all speakers set to small. I wouldn't want to set the 802d to large when playing WOTW etc - the bass is too deep for the smallish cones not to lose some clarity and theres no point when the twin 18" Avalanches can eat that.

I know that with every audiophile type question, the answer can always be "it depends", but perhaps you can do the best you can "generally" answering the questions?

Much appreciated!

Thanks very much!!
    Dave
    Thanks for asking - good questions
    I am definitely in the camp of using sub with 2ch music if it is a great sub and well integrated. I am adamant my sub/802d combination would comfortably head off an 800d or 801d without sub, and yes I have heard the 800d (not knocking them, great speakers!). I no longer pine for speaker upgrades in the 800 series - put it that way. I'm fully replete
    Cheers
    Norpus
    "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"