X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Are B&W Speakers Right For Me?

I'm going to be in the market for some new front speakers. (Center and surrounds later) Looking to spend around $5,000. I listen older rock, 70's and 80's stuff, with some of the newer music thrown in. I'm going to check the used market, and was thinking about the N802 or N803 speakers. I'm hoping that the next set of speakers I get will be my last. After all, I'm almost 50. With that being said, my ears are probably not what they used to be. So I''l be needing something with really good treble. But I don't want something fatiguing.
    I had heard a pair of N802's a few years ago. It was a very short listening session. Thought they sounded really nice. they were powered by some Spectral equipment I think. As of now I have Rotel a 1068 with 1070/1075 amps. I know that my 1070 at 130 wpc would be underpowering these speakers. But, it would have to do for now. However, I will be getting a 2 channel preamp for them. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks.
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Go for the B&W, and they should be your last set of speakers, because you will love the highs and Midrange of these speakers. :T The older you get, you tend to appreciate more correct, warm sounding speakers ,and B&W are exactly that. As you get older one also tends to like Jazz, Classical music, Blues, and some Classic rock ,and B&W does that perfect in every aspect, so YES, I would recommend B&W any day. ;x(
    I still think you should audition a few speakers to see what your taste dictates in sound, especially that you say that you want these speakers to be the last ones ,then an audition for youis simply critical. Only your ears would make that decision for you ,and of course your budget!! :roll:
    Happy Hollidays and Cheers!

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I'm also nearly fifty - wow, hard to believe. I listen to a wide variety of music, I think B&W does a good job with all of it. I recently bought 703. Later in life I might upgrade again.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

If you're worried about listening to "rock" music on B&Ws, Race Car Driver has the 802s and listens to Heavy metal/Rock/etc and absolutely loves the 802s and what they bring to the music. I believe, and you'd have to ask him, but I don't think he feels in any way that the speakers "aren't made" for that type of music.

It's more getting used to the "B&W sound" that takes some getting used to.

I have to say with my 604s, everyone comments on how "clean" music sounds on my system...so I think that's a great compliment.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I love my 802s! I listen to alot of different music. Lotta rock, some new some old. I like acoustic, have some rap, dance music whatever.

The speakers can handle it all! Ive been improving the sound over the last year and half with upgrades. Most recently last night with a new Denon DVDA/SACD player.
          The biggest improvement for me was some powerfull mono amps. The more power the better! Turn it up and the 802s come to life, the bottom end wakes up and the highs make the hairs on your neck stand up
          802s or another model, B&W's are right for EVERYONE! :T
          B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
            I'm going to be in the market for some new front speakers. (Center and surrounds later) Looking to spend around $5,000. I listen older rock, 70's and 80's stuff, with some of the newer music thrown in. I'm going to check the used market, and was thinking about the N802 or N803 speakers. I'm hoping that the next set of speakers I get will be my last. After all, I'm almost 50. With that being said, my ears are probably not what they used to be. So I''l be needing something with really good treble. But I don't want something fatiguing.
            I had heard a pair of N802's a few years ago. It was a very short listening session. Thought they sounded really nice. they were powered by some Spectral equipment I think. As of now I have Rotel a 1068 with 1070/1075 amps. I know that my 1070 at 130 wpc would be underpowering these speakers. But, it would have to do for now. However, I will be getting a 2 channel preamp for them. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks.
            I have seen N802 listed at $4500 on Audiogon. I have N801's and they are outstanding. If you are worried about an amp, you can use a pro amp like a Crown or a QSC with 500+ wpc that can be had used for about $600 or so and they sound great, then when you consider the price they are a no brainer. Just need to make sure you preamp matches the input impedance.

Check teh recent threads on "amps for 802's" or something like that.

Good luck.

Comment

• NMG
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
              802s or another model, B&W's are right for EVERYONE! :T
              Agreed :T

I currently own 703's and thay are awesome. I listen to all sorts of music and they sound great with everything, and really, why shouldn't they? They are a quality speaker and they are simply reproducing the signal they are fed. Like all speakers, they will have their own "flavour", but that doesn't mean they shouldn't sound great with all types of music.

Good luck!

Comment

• DelRay
                • Jun 2004

Well, I took a trip to "The big city" today. Wanted to give a listen to some speakers. First went to listen to some Paradigm Sigs S8. They were being driven by some Mcintosh equipment. Power amps were the 501's. I had the wife with me during these auditions. I was really expecting alot from these. I was a little dissapointed. The highs seemed a bit harsh when really driven, and although there are (4) 7" woofers, the bass was a little thin. Wife didn't really care for them.

Next stop was to the B&W dealer. It's located next to the OSU campus. Closed, damn. It was hard to tell, but they may have went out of business. So I drive to the other end of town to another high end shop. They carry Revel and Energy and a few others. All-in-all some nice stuff. Well, the salesman steers me towards a pair of Mirage OMD-28's. A little more costly than the Paradigms ($7500 a pair vs. $6500 a pair).

They were being driven by som Mark Levinson equipment. I was a little more than impressed. Big soundstage, Great stereo separation. And for only having (2)8" woofers, the bass was tight and "deep". My wife looked over at me and said WOW. I knew she like them. They had a rosewood finish and they had a beautiful build. Great for the WAF. Next up is a B&W listing test. I may have to go to Cincy for an audition. I was wondering if there is a real big difference in sound between the N802 and the 802D? Any thoughts.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
                  Well, I took a trip to "The big city" today. Wanted to give a listen to some speakers. First went to listen to some Paradigm Sigs S8. They were being driven by some Mcintosh equipment. Power amps were the 501's. I had the wife with me during these auditions. I was really expecting alot from these. I was a little dissapointed. The highs seemed a bit harsh when really driven, and although there are (4) 7" woofers, the bass was a little thin. Wife didn't really care for them.

Next stop was to the B&W dealer. It's located next to the OSU campus. Closed, damn. It was hard to tell, but they may have went out of business. So I drive to the other end of town to another high end shop. They carry Revel and Energy and a few others. All-in-all some nice stuff. Well, the salesman steers me towards a pair of Mirage OMD-28's. A little more costly than the Paradigms ($7500 a pair vs. $6500 a pair).

They were being driven by som Mark Levinson equipment. I was a little more than impressed. Big soundstage, Great stereo separation. And for only having (2)8" woofers, the bass was tight and "deep". My wife looked over at me and said WOW. I knew she like them. They had a rosewood finish and they had a beautiful build. Great for the WAF. Next up is a B&W listing test. I may have to go to Cincy for an audition. I was wondering if there is a real big difference in sound between the N802 and the 802D? Any thoughts.
                  Take the auditions with a grain of salt. B&W 802D's were the harshest speakers that I have ever heard. Now I know this cannot be true, but they sounded terrible at the dealers. They were fresh out of the box and driven by Bryston equipment.

As far as the difference, its up to you. You are looking at double the price for the 802D's.

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

I would like to provide a different point of view about BW (especially the 802d). Hopefully I wont get crushed for these opinions:

I find the BW sound to be best suited for vocals and jazz. As some have pointed out, the mids are fantastic, one of the most realistic and palpable I have ever heard. The highs are very smooth with the diamond tweeter. That being said, I think the BW (at least the 802d and 804s, which I have owned) are slower and less dynamic than other speakers. The diamond tweeters can sound a bit rolled off to me and not capable of keeping pace with faster music, especially guitar.

Definitely audition the BW, bring your own music, especially songs that you know very well. Dont get me wrong, BW are fantastic, but not suited for everyone's personal and musical preferences.

Comment

• Angioguy
                      • Nov 2005

You've picked a very good place to start. What I love about this company is that since my first listen-- about 20 years ago-- they have held true to the idea of creating a loudspeaker that delivers natural, uncolored sound.
                      Do yourself a favor and listen to the Rotel - B&W combo at your dealer, (unless you are thinking of upgrading your power supply).
                      Lots of other great companies are out there, and you will likely be pleasantly surprised by the differences you hear. In particular, I was blown away by the Revel's Concerta and Performa speakers. Obviously it's all a very subjective thing. Good luck with your search.
                      B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"