X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • See-Fu
    • Oct 2006

Amp for 603's now & 802D's later

I've been using a rotel rsx-1057 receiver to run my two B&W 603's and the LCR 600 center channel. I've been considering a new amp. I've narrowed my search down to three amps. They

Rotel RB-1080
    Rotel RB-991
    Krell KAV-2250

These are all two channel amps. I would use the amps to drive the 603's and leave the center channel on the Rotel receiver. I would like the amp to be able to run some B&W 802D's later down the road. WOuld any of these amps be sufficient to run the B&W 802D's down the road? Do I really need to consider purchasing an amp with more power output for the 802D's down the road?
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

The Krell without any question in my view. I can't imagine comparing the two companies. Both are very good products but Krell is quite an impressive manufacturer. Superior to Rotel in my view. 802's respond well with powerfull bass control type amps. However, have you considered mono blocks? More expensive yes but since you are looking to the future perhaps it might be a long term consideration. I have found that McIntosh 501's are just simply astounding with the B&W 800 series. I listen to my 800D's with them and smile each and every time with pure contentment.

Comment

• wolfgang
      • Jul 2006

Comment

• See-Fu
        • Oct 2006

Would I be better off if i purchased the speakers first and ran them through the rotel 1057 receiver first and then got the amps later down the road? It's very possible that I may purchase the 803s instead due to space limitations.
        Last edited by See-Fu; 28 November 2006, 13:27 Tuesday.

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

I'm with Jesse on this one - I think the Krell will be noticably better than Rotel. Ultimatley though your ears will tell you what's right.

In the short term, I think a new amp will give you better gains than new speakers. Your 600 series are pretty good and I think they will still show you the benefits of a better amp.

On the 803 vs 802, if space is an issue then your solution is self-evident. But if you do have adequate space and perhaps more importantly adequate volume of air, the 802 will outclass the 803. While the 803 is obviously a very fine speaker, once you get into 802 and above you really gain from the better midrange driver and improved bass as well. The sonic difference between 803 and 802 is quite large, whereas 802 to 801 is more of a refinement than an actual change in sound.

Comment

• Jesse111
            • Jul 2005

That review is certainly one mans opinion but I don't think it in any way truly supports Rotel over Krell.

I think the quote below from the review is very honest and I can respect that.
            Originally posted by DrJRapp
            Right now the soundstage seems a bit flat front to back and also a bit narrow. However, I really think that I need to give her some run in time before I pick that apart.
            Originally posted by See-Fu
            Would I be better off if i purchased the speakers first and ran them through the rotel 1057 receiver first and then got the amps later down the road? It's very possible that I may purchase the 803s instead due to space limitations.
            I'd love to say go for the 803 because of the enormous leap in quality you would be taking. But unfortunately your Reciever has no where near the power you need to appreciate them. If you could live with that for awhile then do it if you have a good deal available to you. But I'd probably get the power first then look for a good deal on some speakers later. 250 watts would be an absolute minimum I'd run through 803's. As for the possible 802D down the road, the Krell 250 would also do well but 400 plus watts would bring out what you would really expect from them much better. Something like a McInstosh 402 or Classe M400's would be beautiful.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Jesse111
              Something like a McInstosh 402 or Classe M400's would be beautiful.
              While there may be no such thing as too much, that is kind of misleading. With the right amp, you would be perfectly happy with 200W from something like classe, krell, ML, McI, or any brand you enjoy.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• See-Fu
                • Oct 2006

I ended up going with the Krell KAV 2250. I'll use those to drive my 603's for a while till I can find a deal on the 803D/S. Thanks for everyones input. Now to track down some cables.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"