X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevek
    • Oct 2011

krell amps

hey guys,does anyone have any experience with the older krell amps like kav or fpb or ksa series amps.im looking to upgrade my amps but I just cant afford the newer models.im currently auditioning a krell s-275 and while it does sound better than my emo upa-1's its not that much better to drop 3 grand on.any thoughts or other recommendations would be great.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Hi Steve

I have the older KAV-3250 (3-channel 250 watt into 8 ohms and 500 watt into 4 ohms) and KAV-2250 (2-channel 250 watt into 8 ohms and 500 watt into 4 ohms). I originally used the KAV-3250 to drive a previous front-end setup I had which was B&W 803D left and right front + HTM2D. I used the KAV-2250 to drive the surrounds which were a pair of N804's.

I love these amps so much that I kept them when I did my upgrade about 3 years ago. I now drive my front-end (3 x 802D) using an Evo 403e and my surrounds (2 x 803D) using 2 channels of the KAV-3250. I'm still using my KAV-2250 but in a separate room.

IMHO your CM9's would benefit from an amp which is able to supply loads of current without running out of steam. My feel is that a KAV amp would be perfect for your setup.

Best of luck and please keep us posted

Comment

• stevek
      • Oct 2011

thanks for your reply.i have been listening to the newer krell amps at a near by dealer and was just amazed with what I heard,i cant afford to spend that kind of money right now and have always wondered if I could get that kind of performance from the older models.how would you compare the 403e to the kav.is it similar.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

When I upgraded my frontend from 803D to 802D, I continued to drive the 3 802D's using the Krell KAV-3250 3CH amp. The 802D's draw tons of current and are difficult to drive. I experienced what I believe to be "just a hint of clipping" with one of my live music blu-rays at the time. I can't remember which one it was - could have been "The Police - Certifiable - Live in Buenos Aires". It could be that the demands of the 802D's exceeded the KAV's current reserves and slew rate thresholds which manifested as distortion. Well that scared me a whole lot. In fact, I recall feeling quite down. I'd not owned the 802D's for too long. What to do? Well I had the Krell Evolution amps planted like an "out-of-control" germinating seed in my mind. Being at the age I am ... my music passion compounded itself and I took the choice to get the Evo 403e. I needed an amp which could drive the 3 802D's with ABSOLUTE ease, especially the extended frequencies and dynamics of live music blu-rays. 3 Mono's would have been great but I have limits in terms of space and wall outlets.

Looking back, some might say that I took quite a big risk. Well, I had finances available and yes, I can say that it was a calculated risk. I was not sufficiently satisfied driving the 3 802D's with the KAV-3250. Now ... I do feel comfortably satisfied. Compared to the KAV-3250 amp, the Evo 403e is simply effortless, has massive current reserves, controls the 802D's like babies and is lightning quick in its response. There is no strain nor hint of distortion or clipping at all. The only way that I can describe it is like this: It is as if there is no hi-fi system at all, only music. I have to take care with the volume control as one does not actually realize how loud it is until one gets up and leaves the room and then comes back in again. It's a fantastic shock!

What is important to note is that the law of diminishing returns applies when considering what to get compared to the cost factor. IMHO absolute perfection could be feeding your CM9's some Krell Evolution 302e juice. However, a KAV-2250 should get you say 96 percent there. An earlier FPB could probably even get you 98 percent there in pure class A (HOT) juice.

Hope that this is of some help.

Comment

• stevek
          • Oct 2011

thanks again for all of your imput,i have been researching all the older models because im not to familiar with them and I think I am leaning towards one of the fpb models.ive seen them anywhere from 4k to under 2 so I just need to figure out the differences.i like the fpb 300c or the 200.so you think I could come pretty close to the performance of the evo models with this line.i mentioned that I was auditioning the s275 right now and ive had it hooked up for a week now and it seems to sound a little better than it did last week but I don't feel its that much better to spend 3k on.i hope to make a purchase next month,there are lots of them out there

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Pleasure, Steve. Just bear in mind that the latest Evolution amps have been refined and are more up-to-date regarding electronic advancements. The older FPB amps can be a bit brash, will draw a huge amount of current from your home electricity outlet (your electricity utility bill will be a bit more pumped) and run very hot due to their class A status.

Comment

• stevek
              • Oct 2011

I went ahead and purchased the s-275, my dealer came down to 2500.00 so I feel it was well worth it.it has a much cleaner sound than the emo upa-1's and being a demo I get the full warranty as new.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

cool. :T
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Fantastic, Steve! I think that you're going to feel very satisfied. Enjoy!:T

Comment

• stevek
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                    Fantastic, Steve! I think that you're going to feel very satisfied. Enjoy!:T
                    hello again,well after a little time listening and learning how to properly dial in the s275 I can say that I love this amp.it has literally transformed my system.But on the other hand I still have that urge to take a look at the kav3250.the cm9.s have always sounded better with each upgrade I have made but this one was huge, they really sound like different speakers.while I hope to someday move into the 800 series I feel like these speakers really out perform their price point when fed some quality power.

Comment

• jim1961
                      • Nov 2012

If you can find a KSA-150/250 for the right price, id give those an audition.

Might run up your electric bill a bit given they pull 8 and 12 amps (approx) at idle though.
                      Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"