X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Which Rear Speakers with 804S?

Hello folks,

Well it's almost that time of season again, time to get that yearly bonus and I was looking to get a set of rear speakers to 'complement' my set of 804S speakers.

I went to the dealer and just took a quick look at a few models:

DS8, DS7 and finally the SCMS speakers. I like the size of the DS7. The DS8 looked really big. I haven't seen the SCMS. As for sound, the speakers do not have to tonally match my speakers 100%, I will accept 95% match if you know what i mean. I prefer wall mounted speakers for the 'theatre' look, but am open to suggestions.

I plan to do a 5.1 setup only - possible 7.1 down the road, can anyone share any advise on which rear speakers to get?

Thanks All,
    Steve
  • Chatterbot
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by scanido
    I prefer wall mounted speakers for the 'theatre' look, but am open to suggestions.

I plan to do a 5.1 setup only - possible 7.1 down the road, can anyone share any advise on which rear speakers to get?

Thanks All,
    Steve
    ahem... maybe 805s? 8)

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

I originally thought of the 805S, but they are too 'nice' to use as rear speakers and i would think it would be a waste considering their price.

I'm leaning towards the DS7, what do you think of these paired with 804S ?

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

So I guess 804s in the rear are out of the question? ;-)

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Believe me if i had it my way and money was no object i'd be putting these 804S in the rear and adding 800D's or something along those lines up front!

Back to reality, so which in wall rear speakers?

Anyone with DS6's care to comment?

Comment

• EastCoaster
            • Jan 2006

I originally thought of the 805S, but they are too 'nice' to use as rear speakers and i would think it would be a waste considering their price.
            They're not "too nice" if you're planning on using them for multi-channel music... But to be fair, the best option for multi-channel music is to get all 804s.... But then again, the difference between the 804 and 805 to my ears isn't all that great (I like the 805s better), so you're probably getting pretty close if you get two 805s for rears and listen to multi-channel... If you're just going to use the rears for HT, then maybe it's a waste (although then again, some would argue otherwise)... How's that for both sides of the coin(s)? :lol:

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I have the SCM1's, which are the precursor to the SCMS. I'd recommend a pair of SCMS highly.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Bluespower
                • Sep 2005

I have 804s and an HTM1 in front and DS6s (white) on the sides. They were the less of multiple evils as far as my wife was concerned and in all honesty, they really do a pretty good job for movies and music. Since I only have a few dozen DVD-As verus hundreds of CDs it really wasn't worth going to war over. If I was big into multi channel music that might be different. For movies/concerts they are just fine.

I leave mine in the monopole setting (for the improved response). With the DS6s you have to take the grill off to change from monopole to diapole (really dumb). The DS7s can be triggered to change their personality. If I didn't have to answer to the Secretary of the Interior I would probably have the CDM SNTs (in Rosenut).
                Bluespower

Comment

• Maverick71
                  • Nov 2006

What about CM1's for surround duties?

Mav

Comment

• Ted
                    • May 2006

I assume that this is primarily for HT and not music since you want that 'theatre' look. If the funds are available, I would go with the DS8 to keep it in the 800 series. Otherwise I'd go with the DS7 for your surround duty.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is the SCMS leans more towards multichannel music than HT. Have fun spending that bonus!! :T

Ted
                    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                      • Sep 2006

I have 804S on the fronts and I did pair them with the DS6 for the side (I have some small rear speakers as well). In my home they do a more than adaquate job, most of the sound for theater is effects and for music DVD's and ballgames it is crowd noise, my experience is the same as Bluespower (lots of CD's few SACD's on the music end so that colored my view). My key HT comparison was always the opening scenes from Master & Commander (when shopping for the different set ups). I have found my home theater area to sound very much like they did in the set up in the store dedicated room (which had better surround speakers). Thus they fulfilled my key HT goal (which is 60-70% of my "listening").

That being said I did hear the DS8 in the store multiple times and they were clearly better albeit 4X the price, if I would have had the $$ I would have probably moved up at the time. The advice I got from the sales person then was save a little on the surrounds and put that money in the front/center speakers and the sub (thus I got the HTM3S and a DD-15). For me that was sound advice (as I was buying everything in one shot). Now that I have had the system for a couple of months I could see upgrading my pre-amp/processor and amp before pushing additional money on the surrounds.

My two cents is make sure you have a good center (which you do) and a great sub, these will be more immediate benefit than $$ for the surrounds (unless you have a lot of SACD inventory to play).

P.S. My wife loved the looks of all of the DS stuff and did not want standing speakers in the rear, that too impacted what I did. Maybe my next wife (just kidding honey) would embrace the standing speakers all around look.

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

How about 805s as rear, best solution in terms of wall mounted etc..

I would go for 804s all around ,if that is possible, and in your price range.

Now for guts, with serious bonus spending: Get 803s for the front L&R and put your 804s as rear duty surround! Now that would be FUN! :T I love this option ,as that is what I had a few months ago(Fantastic combo), and Upgraditis got me in the bu...!! :lol: So I'm In the 800D for fronts and 802D for rear type of guy!!! So don't listen to me :rofl:

Seriously 805s is your best bet, and just what your Dr. recommended :roll:

Keep us posted on what you have decided on?

Cheers

Comment

• Pez
                          • May 2004

When I had the 804S's I was in the same boat. I like to try and keep and the speakers all the same (or at least in the same series) but I had a hard time justifying the cost of the DS8's. When I got the 804S's I had to stretch the budget a little so spending almost as much on surrounds just wasnt possible. But like I said I always try to keep the speakers in the same series for seemless surround sound. I would have "settled" for the DS7's but there would have been this nagging voice in my head saying my speakers were "mismatched". Then I lost my job and had to sell the 804S's as it took some time to find another job - I seem to have bad luck in that I have worked for a lot companies that either relocate, downsize, or go out of business.

If you dont want to go for the DS8's I would vote for the DS7's. For me it comes to comfort level with what I spend compared to what the speaker will be used for.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

rear spaek

@chinets,
                            Ok, graet 803S front and the 804s as rear :T
                            ---------------

@scanido
                            804s l/r for 5.? i think a new CM7 or 704,
                            for 7.? 4 x CM1 or 4 x 705 (event.805 :T )
                            (electronic Arcam 700 and Bryston and for the rear? a new Bryton or rotel
                            new RB1092/91)?????

By style

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

THanks all for your input thus far. Everyone has been very helpful! From what i gathered so far i believe the DS7 are it! THe DS8 are nice but i believe are way too large! I believe these would be better suited for 803D and above.

I do not listen to multi-channel music so going with the DS series is right up my avenue.

Sticky Hawk brought up a good point, whereby i should spend more money on the L/C/R speakers. I currently use a center speaker that came with my plasma. Nothing to fancy and it works, wouldi be better off spending the money on say a HTM3S center instead? I currently do not have rear speakers.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• Ted
                                • May 2006

If you say the center is working for now, go with new surrounds so you are getting more of the theater experience, then down the road you'll problably want a new center (the HTM3S is a great match for the 804s) .

Just my thoughts...
                                Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Sticky Hawk brought up a good point, whereby i should spend more money on the L/C/R speakers. I currently use a center speaker that came with my plasma. Nothing to fancy and it works, wouldi be better off spending the money on say a HTM3S center instead? I currently do not have rear speakers.

Any thoughts?

Scanido,

I like the choice of DS7's. I have 705's as my rears with N804's and HTM1 up front. The 705's blend very well with the Nautilus'. As to your L/C/R question, I would tend to suggest that the money should first go towards a matching center channel, then rear speakers. In general, more stuff comes from the center channel than the rears. Hopefully the budget can allow a good center channel and maybe some entry type speakers for the rears (like the LM-1's, which are wall mountable). This would give you decent surround until you can get some DS7's.

Hope this helps.
                                  Last edited by htsteve; 29 November 2006, 21:39 Wednesday.

Comment

• akhter
                                    • Jun 2005

Hello folks,

Well it's almost that time of season again, time to get that yearly bonus and I was looking to get a set of rear speakers to 'complement' my set of 804S speakers.

I went to the dealer and just took a quick look at a few models:

DS8, DS7 and finally the SCMS speakers. I like the size of the DS7. The DS8 looked really big. I haven't seen the SCMS. As for sound, the speakers do not have to tonally match my speakers 100%, I will accept 95% match if you know what i mean. I prefer wall mounted speakers for the 'theatre' look, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks All,
                                    Steve
                                    I am in a the same situation and an considering getting the XT2 as surrounds to go with my XTC center. My mains are N804.

Comment

• weijst
                                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by akhter
                                      I am in a the same situation and an considering getting the XT2 as surrounds to go with my XTC center. My mains are N804.
                                      Now here's an option that sounds interesting!!! Someone cares to comment on this? I'm currently considering adding these (XT2) to my 805S and HTM4S setup. Second option is a pair of CM2's and the third option is a pair of DM601/600 S3 ((budget restrains).
                                      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

I have the 805S and HTM4S in the front, paired with non-matching CDM 1NTs in the rear. I have been wanting to upgrade for quite a while, and have been constantly going back-and-forth between another pair of 805S or a pair of SCMS.

Based on all of the various factors that I have been considering, I believe I've settled on the SCMS. I will be ordering these in a couple of days. Will be going with Natural Cherry to match the rest of my setup.

For me, the primary considerations include room size (13'W x 17'L) and height relative to my seating position. Mounting higher on the wall will provide me with a more unobstructed path between to the listener (i.e., ME!). In addition, I will be able to worry much less about potential damage to the stand-mount speaker, which is currently positioned next to the room entrance.

From all that I have read here, as well as the B&W specifications, the SCMS should be an excellent match to the rest of my setup. And, I will finally be able to complete my 800 series setup -- yeah!
                                        Brad

Comment

• Blindamood
                                          • Sep 2003

Loving the SCMS

Picked up my new pair of SCMS this week, and just finished installing on my wall this morning. I've been wanting to complete this setup for quite a while now, and finally have matching 800 series all around. Working on breaking them in at the moment, and so far it sounds awesome. Will post pics when I get a chance to 'finish' the wiring...currently just hanging loose on the wall.
                                          Brad

Comment

• weijst
                                            • Jun 2004

Congrats Blindamood! Enjoy your new purchase and I'll be waiting for some photo's!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

I think you need to upgrade the center first. For HT, that is THE most important speaker. Spend the money on the HTM3 and buy some cheap speaker for the rears for now. You will be happy you did.
                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• akhter
                                                • Jun 2005

THanks all for your input thus far. Everyone has been very helpful! From what i gathered so far i believe the DS7 are it! THe DS8 are nice but i believe are way too large! I believe these would be better suited for 803D and above.

I do not listen to multi-channel music so going with the DS series is right up my avenue.

Any thoughts?
                                                I would say upgrade the Center before even the surrounds. I first got the N804. Then I added the Sub, then I added the center (XTC HTM4S was way too big for my plasma table). Before adding the center I used the plasma speakers and I have to say the center made about as big an impact on the video experience as the sub.

Just got my bonus too and was seriously considering getting the XT2 bookselves for surrounds but decided not to upgrade any HT gear this year. I am planning on waiting a couple of years and getting the 802D and relegating my N804 to surround duty .

Comment

• scanido
                                                  • Apr 2006

Indeed the center speaker is the most important so that is what i went with! I just bought the HTM3s and will receive it later today.

THanks again folks.

Comment

• scanido
                                                    • Apr 2006

Got it in. So far so good, movies and gaming is unlike before. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                      • Sep 2003

SCMS Pics

Originally posted by weijst
                                                      Congrats Blindamood! Enjoy your new purchase and I'll be waiting for some photo's!
                                                      Finally got the installation of my SCMS rear speakers completed today. Here are some pictures, as promised. Included a couple of close-ups for those who want to know more about these speakers. They install on a very flexible, but heavy-duty 'folding' bracket. They are also ported on the bottom of the speaker, rather than on the front, as with the older SCM1.

I'm loving the sound of these. I think the height vs. my former standmounts (CDM 1NTs) allows me to be more enveloped in the sound. I also notice that the tweeters are a bit smoother than the 1NTs. Very nice match the rest of my 805S/HTM4S setup!
                                                      Attached Files
                                                      Brad

Comment

• wb2fcr
                                                        • Dec 2005

Nice looking setup Blindamood. :T

Wish I didn't see those pics, its got me thinking about getting a pair.
                                                        Last edited by wb2fcr; 14 January 2007, 09:51 Sunday.
                                                        Dave

Comment

• weijst
                                                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                                          ...I also notice that the tweeters are a bit smoother than the 1NTs.
                                                          Would you care to share more on this comparisson, for instance the width of the surround stage, the high frequencies (compared to your front channels), the drivability of the SCMS's compared to the 1NTs (are the 800 series noticable harder to drive?)

I'm still looking for surround speakers and am considering using the 1NTs due to budget restrains...

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                            • Sep 2003

The 1NTs work very well for surround speakers. They're also a very good value, IMO. I'm not very good at describing sound differences though...

The specs look very similar between the 1NT and SCMS. The dynamic range is the same, and both have a sensitivity of 88dB. So, as far as driving them, it would be about the same.

I think the SCMS sound just a little more refined, which is to be expected. I think the tweeter is just a bit smoother, such as when I listen to the female backing vocals on the SACD of Steely Dan's "Gaucho." I think the higher placement on the wall, as well as a wider horizontal dispersion of the SCMS make them 'disappear' a bit more, rather than being able to pinpoint the source. With the height of my seating, the SCMS on-wall placement was a big factor for me.

Of course, they're probably still breaking in also, so we'll see if the sound changes any over the next couple of weeks.
                                                            Brad

Comment

• weijst
                                                              • Jun 2004

Thanx Blindamood!

Comment

• Telefunken72
                                                                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                                                Finally got the installation of my SCMS rear speakers completed today. Here are some pictures, as promised. Included a couple of close-ups for those who want to know more about these speakers. They install on a very flexible, but heavy-duty 'folding' bracket. They are also ported on the bottom of the speaker, rather than on the front, as with the older SCM1.

I'm loving the sound of these. I think the height vs. my former standmounts (CDM 1NTs) allows me to be more enveloped in the sound. I also notice that the tweeters are a bit smoother than the 1NTs. Very nice match the rest of my 805S/HTM4S setup!
                                                                9 years later and I'm wishing I hadn't seen these... But in a good way.:W

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"