X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex999
    • Jun 2006

New B&W CM7 speakers

I was wondering if anybody had a chance to listen to these speakers. I'd purchase them just based on their look :-).
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

No, but they won EISA best loudspeaker so they should be great!

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

But did they win in the best LOOKING or best SOUNDING category? (;

Comment

• Aldo
        • Sep 2005

Official Quote from EISA:

"B&W's CM1 is a masterpiece in the audiophile class of mini-monitor loudspeaker. Physically small but big-hearted, the CM1 plays music with passion, having a full-bodied bass with fresh, clean and sweet highs. The acoustic concept is based on a minimalist first-order crossover using a carefully selected high-grade capacitor, united to the now-familiar B&W Kevlar and aluminium diaphragms drivers, here tuned to work at its optimum with the purer type of filtering. And the look of CM1 perfectly suits its sound - a simple, traditional shape of box, beautifully finished in natural veneers in fashionable colours, with polished aluminium rings to complement its drive units. The CM1 gives more than a touch of high-end quality at a comparatively modest price."

Comment

• DiveBaum
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aldo
          Official Quote from EISA:

"B&W's CM1 is a masterpiece in the audiophile class of mini-monitor loudspeaker. Physically small but big-hearted, the CM1 plays music with passion, having a full-bodied bass with fresh, clean and sweet highs."
          Hi all,

I registered just to hop into this discussion. I'm hoping someone hear will offer some firsthand experience of either the cm1s or the cm7s.

I think these will be my first foray in the world of B&W.

dB

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

I hate to say this, but, if you are interested in these speakers you really need to get the first hand experience yourself. That is why you cannot buy B&W by mail. They want you to go listen and decide for yourself. A good policy IMO

In my experience B&W does good job of matching price to performance. That is, in general, if you spend more you usually get something that sounds better in at least one way. But you may not feel the same way. And what you find important might not be the same as what I feel is important. In the end you have to go out and listen, then buy what best matches your wallet and ears. It is better IMO to listen to your wallet and ears than it is to listen to what people say on the internet.

I listened breifly to the CM1. But it was not what I wanted. I wanted as close to full range as I could get without using a subwoofer. I bought the 703. The cm7 I don't think was available when I was out listening, so I can't comment on it. My wallet liked the 603, my ears liked the 803, so I comprimised . . .

I'm not sure, but I think the CM7 might be the lowest priced b&w that uses the FST midrange driver. I really like this midrange driver compared to what other companies use, so the CM7 might be a really nice speaker for the price. But like I said, I have not heard it. Have you?

Comment

• Alex999
              • Jun 2006

I'm going to listen to them very soon (CM7 floor-standing speakers, I'm not interested in CM1 - although some guys are very happy with CM1, I don't want monitor speakers). I'm waiting to move to my new condo and then I'll be auditioning them. It seems to me that they are above 600 but bellow (or close) to 700 series in terms of quality. I was able to find only one review on the net (HIFI choice magazine - there is a link on B&W web site)

This is something I'm kinda worried - Freq. Response 62Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis. Hm, this can't be right! I thought that they could go lower than 62Hz. Any ideas about this?

Cheers,
              Alex

Comment

• Alex999
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Clepto
                But did they win in the best LOOKING or best SOUNDING category? (;

LOL Clepto. That's funny. Let's hope someone actually listened to them.

Comment

• Ted
                  • May 2006

I was looking at the CM7 and the CM Center specs on the B & W web page and I noticed that the center doesn't have the FST midrange like the CM7 does. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this will be like matching a htm7 with 703s? I know a lot of have complained about that combination in other threads. Any thoughts CM7s, a CM center, and either DS7 or DS6 S3 surrounds for HT? What about the 704's with the CM center (I don't physically have room for a HTM7 center channel, it is too tall.
                  Last edited by Ted; 14 October 2006, 10:01 Saturday.
                  Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• marcelhold
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Alex999

This is something I'm kinda worried - Freq. Response 62Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis. Hm, this can't be right! I thought that they could go lower than 62Hz. Any ideas about this?

Cheers,
                    Alex

I think it's the way B&W specify - the +/- 3dB on reference axis does sound a bit tight. HiFi choice report that it extends down to 24Hz with reflex bungs in place, this is in-room and for -6dB though, so there's a wider tolerance there. You think B&W like to understate the performance of their products?
                    Last edited by marcelhold; 18 October 2006, 11:48 Wednesday.

Comment

• Alex999
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by marcelhold
                      I think it's the way B&W specify - the +/- 3dB on reference axis does sound a bit tight. HiFi choice report that it extends down to 24Hz with reflex bungs in place, this is in-room and for -6dB though, so there's a wider tolerance there. You think B&W like to understate the performance of their products?

Interesting point marcelhold. I hope you are right .

A friend of mine listened to CM1s. He thinks they are amazing little speakers. I am getting excited about CM7s. I'm not sure if my local dealers have them in stock. They haven't responded to my email yet.

Comment

• Clepto
                        • Feb 2006

I like the magnetic attached grill concept, pretty neat.

Comment

• DiveBaum
                          • Oct 2006

HiFi Choice just put a review. they gave the cm7 an 86% and a best buy rating.

Comment

• Alex999
                            • Jun 2006

There are 2 B&W dealers here in Calgary. I talked to both. They haven't received them yet. They don't have any ETA at this time :-(. I'm wondering if US dealers got them.
                            Last edited by Alex999; 24 October 2006, 00:54 Tuesday.

Comment

• Cactus
                              • Feb 2006

Check out Georgia Home Theater in Atlanta. They just had a special B&W event at their store Monday the 23rd and debuted a pair of CM7 that night.

Comment

• Alex999
                                • Jun 2006

New review CM7

Hey guys,
                                CM7s were just reviewed on avreview.co.uk. Here is the link. It's very good.

CM7 review

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                  • May 2004

Just my opinion, and note that i have not heard them yet, but based on looks these are just boring. I think that B&W really stands out with beautiful cabinets and different but classy looks. This is just a box.
                                  Steel

Comment

• perato
                                    • Jan 2005

Audioholics review of CM1
                                    In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• Alex999
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
                                      Just my opinion, and note that i have not heard them yet, but based on looks these are just boring. I think that B&W really stands out with beautiful cabinets and different but classy looks. This is just a box.
                                      Steel
                                      I love this new contemporary retro look. I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I think they are beautiful. I just hope they sound good too :P

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                        • May 2004

Old Series

I've got the "old" CM series CM6's and CM1's along with the CMC.
                                        Love them would not trade them at all....well maybe for some 800 series

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"