• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

HT upgrade!

I just got these 802D's and ASW's
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Aldo; 10 October 2006, 17:01 Tuesday.
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

comment on your system: what a nice lady your wife is!!!! :-)

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

Aldo;
      Wow!!!!! What a set up!.
      I was wondering about the rear surround LF'sfiring directly into the back of the couch. Would it be better to move them back some? Looks like you have room. Is there so little sound info to the lower speakers in the 802's in a rear speaker application that they can be covered like that without changing the sound?
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

Aldo,

Those subs, are that 825 or 855's???I've got two 855's and I'm wondering how high you put the level on the rear of your sub's.Mine are at one third and sometimes it's already too much.I'm using an MX-135 from McIntosh as Pre/Processor

Jericho
        BTW : Your setup looks SUPER!!! :T

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Aldo,

Nice setup. Way over the top, but hey, if you got it, why not

I mean where is the top anyhow. For those of you who didn't read in a previous thread Aldo does keep his speakers back as anyone who has taken the time to put togehter a system like this would not push his speakers up against a sofa.

They are there "just" for the foto.

Super system Aldo, felicitations on realizing all of our dreams. Now where can you go from here ????????????????????????????

Uh-Oh BiAmping Krell Evolutions Ay Caramba !! Andale los hijos .........

Comment

• Stoney
            • Dec 2004

I've been away for a while. Didn't see the earlier thread. Thanks for the clarification misterdoggy.
            Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
            Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
            B&W DM605 S2 Mains
            DM602 S2 Surrounds
            DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
            CC6 S2 Center.
            ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Aldo
              • Sep 2005

Thanks! all of you! Misterdoggy is right, the speakers are that close just for the picture.
              The back two asw855 are for LFE and the front two are conected with the main front speakers.
              The last 2 802D's arrive yesterday, and for now my wife is not speaking to me, I suposed that will be for about 2 weeks, but averything in this world have a price right?
              Whats Next? Sources and a preamp, I'm very interested in a Mark levinson CD player as Mister Doggy's with ML Preamp.
              I'm thinking seriously in a pair of original nautilus but that will be the topic of another thread.
              The system is like this:
              Halcro SSP100 Processor
              Two McIntosh MC252 amps for sorround
              One McIntosh MC501 amp for center speaker
              One Krell FPB 700cx for mains
              Marantz 9600 DVD player
              Marantz HD9300 Music Server
              Toshiba AX1 HD DVD
              Four B&W 802D Sorround
              Two B&W 800 Fronts
              One HTM1D Center
              Three ASW855
              One ASW850
              Marantz VP11S1 projector
              Stewart GreyHalk Screen
              Kimber Bifocal cables for front.
              Last edited by Aldo; 11 October 2006, 08:34 Wednesday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Crackingly great setup, Aldo :T

The Mark Levinson No 390S is one of the best CD players out there imho. Please let us know which source you get.

Enjoy

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I agree with Shadow about the 390S.

I posted this opinion before, but going "everything" in the same brand works great.

390S with a ML preamp and Amps all connected with ML connectors between the components, starts up and shuts down everything smoother then with a jack.

With a setup up like yours you might consider a pair of 33H's for the 800D's and a 433 for center and surrounds and 431 for the rears. That way the surrounds and rears and center all have similar power while the fronts have the best Amplifier ever made IMHO.

Comment

• Aldo
                    • Sep 2005

misterdoggy: That sounds like a dream, now I just need to rob and get 100k!
                    But who knows, maybe one day!
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

Aldo, your set up is :E well...I'm not sure what to say. Other than I might use your photo as a screen saver for a while.

Once I dumped a lot of $ into my system. My wife had no interest in listening to it. Women are strange that way.

Jeff

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Aldo, That is one impressive setup there! :T Do you use this setup to dry yourself after a shower? :W
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• skuzzyb
                          • Mar 2006

Aldo, very impressive. A huge fan of all the choices you have made. I must ask though: When does it get too much? Maybe the better question is: is it ever too much? Now that you have added two centre rears, can you hear the difference?

Comment

• Joey_V
                            • Jul 2005

Holy Crapola!!!!! You might as well be a BW dealer, you probably have more 802D than any single dealer has in stock anyway.

Great system! Fantastic!!

I really dont know where to start gushing about your system. :E :T ;x(
                            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• fauzigarib
                              • Aug 2006

Good stuff, Aldo,

Hey there,

Holy Mother of God!!! Aldo, very very nice.

Hey, this setup makes me think... And please don't take this the wrong way, I mean nothing about this particular setup.

My thinking states that having a gorgeous and dynamic speaker like the 800 series is under-utilizing it enough even in the front channels in HT... But in the rear channels? Isn't that just a tad overkill?

A friend of mine (who owned a series of Focal speakers, including the Electra! sigh!) challenged me that, no matter how much money he had spent in his HT with the JM Labs all around (I believe it was the Cobalt used as surrounds, and the Electra with a matching center up front), he felt that most speakers could do as good a job in HT as his $6,000 Electras and $3,000 Cobalts. He then proceeded to take me into his second room, where he had a Klipsch setup (the old KG series, I believe).

Well, suffice it to say that it wasn't nearly as good as the Focal room... But man oh man, once we shifted the Electra center into the Klipsch room, it was unreal. Yes the front didn't match... but I think most would be hard pressed to be able to tell that in a dark room.

The point is, I really think that HT duty really under utilizes a speaker. Therefore, Aldo, I'll pm you my mailing address... you can send me any two of the 4 surround speakers you have!

Good stuff man..

Fauzi

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                • Aug 2006

Good stuff, Aldo,

Hey there,

Hey, this setup makes me think... And please don't take this the wrong way, I mean nothing about this particular setup.

My thinking states that having a gorgeous and dynamic speaker like the 800 series is under-utilizing it enough even in the front channels in HT... But in the rear channels? Isn't that just a tad overkill?

A friend of mine (who owned a series of Focal speakers, including the Electra! sigh!) challenged me that, no matter how much money he had spent in his HT with the JM Labs all around (I believe it was the Cobalt used as surrounds, and the Electra with a matching center up front), he felt that most speakers could do as good a job in HT as his $6,000 Electras and $3,000 Cobalts. He then proceeded to take me into his second room, where he had a Klipsch setup (the old KG series, I believe).

Well, suffice it to say that it wasn't nearly as good as the Focal room... But man oh man, once we shifted the Electra center into the Klipsch room, it was unreal. Yes the front didn't match... but I think most would be hard pressed to be able to tell that in a dark room.

The point is, I really think that HT duty really under utilizes a speaker. Therefore, Aldo, I'll pm you my mailing address... you can send me any two of the 4 surround speakers you have!

Good stuff man..

Fauzi

Comment

• chinets
                                  • Jun 2005

Aldo,
                                  You are the MAN you are the HERO!!!!!!!!!
                                  With my Jaw dropped ,I can say a large WWWWWWWWWWOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!
                                  Love your set-up, Love your equipment, and love that room.
                                  Would you adopt me???????? I want to visit your house dude ,as I am impressed beyond words.
                                  Congratulations!!! I am working to get to your level, and one day I will!!!! God Bless!
                                  Send us more pictures, we are in heaven just salivating at your system.
                                  Ciao,
                                  Chinets

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

Fauzi you Hog!! You replies on this thread twice with the same stuff!!!
                                    Don't worry Aldo will send you his rear duty 802Ds, so no need to persist in asking him twice. Aldo is a nice guy and will take care of you. Right???
                                    Fauzi ,send me a a pair of them, if Aldo sends you four!!!
                                    Ciuao Amigos y suerte!!
                                    Cheers!!

Comment

• Lewing
                                      • Oct 2004

:jawdrop: I am just speechless, you probably has one of the best looking and most expensive setups among us in this forum. I think by the time i am able to afford system like yours... well, not sure not sure....

Great system aldo!
                                      Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• Aldo
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                                        Aldo, very impressive. A huge fan of all the choices you have made. I must ask though: When does it get too much? Maybe the better question is: is it ever too much? Now that you have added two centre rears, can you hear the difference?
                                        Yesterday I saw X men 3 for the first time! It sound great, but better decition than the 802D centers were the extra subs, it is just amazing how it sound.
                                        The trick with the subs is that we all know Bass is omnidirectional and we cannot tell were the saound is coming from, but an the movies with big expotions and all, we certainly can, and one subwofer makes the forniture and walls rattle, BUT when you put more than one the other makes a little diferent sound wich neutraliza the vibrations or resonances that the first one is making.
                                        The thing here is not to make more volume but better sound!
                                        Last edited by Aldo; 11 October 2006, 08:36 Wednesday.

Comment

• Aldo
                                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jericho
                                          Aldo,

Those subs, are that 825 or 855's???I've got two 855's and I'm wondering how high you put the level on the rear of your sub's.Mine are at one third and sometimes it's already too much.I'm using an MX-135 from McIntosh as Pre/Processor

Jericho
                                          BTW : Your setup looks SUPER!!! :T
                                          At 12 O'clock but my Processor is taking -6dB from them!

Comment

• Aldo
                                            • Sep 2005

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO YOU ALL! ops:
                                            Maybe, just maybe I will share my equipment with one of you, because my wife is not speaking to me since the last 802D pair and if she kicks me out of the house I will need a new home, any interested? :B

Comment

• Aldo
                                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                                              Hey there,

Good stuff man..

Fauzi
                                              Dear Fauzi, one of the last posts you put was titled Bose & Wilkings, Could you really hear that the center does not match :rofl: ?
                                              But thanks you for your concern!

Comment

• jericho
                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Aldo
                                                At 12 O'clock but my Processor is taking -6dB from them!
                                                Thanks Aldo, I'll give it a try, and thanks for the compliment

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                  • Aug 2006

HT Conundrum!

Dear Fauzi, one of the last posts you put was titled Bose & Wilkings, Could you really hear that the center does not match :rofl: ?
                                                  But thanks you for your concern!
                                                  Hey Aldo,

It's so sad... Here I am sitting in my HT, wanting to plug in a movie, but all I can do is think about your setup!!! Very very nice...

I don't know if you were serious or not in your last question, but yes, I think that I can hear the center not matching... It just does not sound as wide as it should.

And once again, please don't get me wrong about your setup... I think that, each night, as I drift off to sleep, I say a quick fleeting prayer to have a setup like yours! However, it seems that, on my budget, I wouldnt' be doing my purchase justice by putting a speaker like that on rear duty.

Of course, we also have the likes of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer who has 7 Nautiluses in his HT... So, to each his own, I guess!

Take care, man...

Fauzi

Comment

• Aldo
                                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                                                    Hey Aldo,

It's so sad... Here I am sitting in my HT, wanting to plug in a movie, but all I can do is think about your setup!!! Very very nice...

I don't know if you were serious or not in your last question, but yes, I think that I can hear the center not matching... It just does not sound as wide as it should.

And once again, please don't get me wrong about your setup... I think that, each night, as I drift off to sleep, I say a quick fleeting prayer to have a setup like yours! However, it seems that, on my budget, I wouldnt' be doing my purchase justice by putting a speaker like that on rear duty.

Of course, we also have the likes of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer who has 7 Nautiluses in his HT... So, to each his own, I guess!

Take care, man...

Fauzi
                                                    Shure I'm kiding :B :B :B
                                                    You have a point, two weeks ago I never though to put 802D at the back where less than 10% of sound comes but hey, they look great dont you think! 8)

Comment

• johan
                                                      • Dec 2004

Aldo,

Great setup, wonderful to see all those B&W's staring at the sweetspot.
                                                      What do you think about the 800's in stereo? Have you compared them to the 802D's? Or even better have you compared them to N802's cause thats what I have and I might be upgrading to Sig 800's.

Regards Johan.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                        • Sep 2005

Dear Johan, do you want to upgrade to the signature 800, They are out of fabrication and they are great, I love their look, specially the tigers eye!
                                                        When I bought my first 800's I could't afford does!
                                                        I think the dimond tweeter is a great discovery, I do belive that the dimond ones are better, bot the signature 800 is a GREAT speaker!
                                                        Now I hear things from my speakers that I didn't 1 year ago, every day you train your ears, I'm shure it is hard to be expert in that matter but I'm shure there is people who hear complitely diferent sounds from diferent speakers after hours and hours of listening sesions!

Do you ever think of these: When you are at a restaurant with someone speaking in front of you, and there is a lot of noise from the other tables, you can hear fairly well what the person with you is telling you right?
                                                        If you put a microphone just in the midle of you two, the mic. will record all the noise and you will hardly notice what you where talking about!
                                                        This is because we can FOCUS our ears....Interesting don't you think?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

This is because we can FOCUS our ears....Interesting don't you think?
                                                          Well, mebbe you can. What most people do is rely on level, frequency and phase info to try to enable their brains to distinguish what they want to attend to and to try to ignore the rest.

Kal
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          _______________________________
                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                            Well, mebbe you can. What most people do is rely on level, frequency and phase info to try to enable their brains to distinguish what they want to attend to and to try to ignore the rest.

Kal
                                                            heh. ask my wife.. i tend to focus on the conversations around me more than the one in front of me... doh!
                                                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aldo
                                                              • Sep 2005

I focus on the TV, I try several years to ignore the rest but it's almost impossible!

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson

Kal
                                                                The fisical, cientific way we do it doesn't change the final perception, and that is that as many here can tell you over the years we learn to listen better, focus better, or what ever you call it better!

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                                  • Aug 2006

Shure I'm kiding :B :B :B
                                                                  You have a point, two weeks ago I never though to put 802D at the back where less than 10% of sound comes but hey, they look great dont you think! 8)
                                                                  Yes, Aldo.. I really do think they look great!!! Good for you!

Congrats once again!

Fauzi

Comment

• pramod
                                                                    • Dec 2005

I just got these 802D's and ASW's
                                                                    All I can say is a Big WAOoooooooo ;x(
                                                                    as Misterdoggy said,WHEN YOU CAN, WHY NOT............

Nice Set up, please send some more pics, All Luck Man...

Comment

• chinets
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2005

Aldo,
                                                                      I showed your set-up to my wife ,as that is exactly the path I am taking ,y me quiere matar hombre. Que hago porfavor?? How did you convince the wife hermano!!!
                                                                      La mujer me dice basta ya basta de musica y tirar dinero!!!
                                                                      Shall I sell my M-5 or X-5 to show her that I mean business with my Upgraditis??
                                                                      How do you do it?? This curious guy wants to know!!
                                                                      Gracias amigo y hast pronto!!
                                                                      Suerte,
                                                                      Chinets

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Estimado chinet:

Ahora mismo te explico!
                                                                        I will explain to you how I do it!

I had a Mercedes CLK320, then I change it for a CLK430, then one day we get robbed our watches at a chocolate store with gun in hand because of the car.
                                                                        One mond after that 4 cabrones (four armed guys) try to kidnap me, thank god I scape!

In Mexico, the violence is getting worst everyday so you can't buy watches, cars, even you can't walk in sertain streets with sertain clothes!

So, my wife told me sold your PINCHE (nice) car and buy whatever you want but keep it in the house.

Now, everytime I want to upgrade something, I tell her, darling it's time to change my Touareg, it's getting old, What do you think about the new Audi RS4.

And she said, WHAT! are you crazzie, GO AND UPGRADE YOUR STEREO y deja de estar chingando! (and stop thinking about that).

I think I should patent this idea then I could get rich and buy a 7 channel Nautilus setup!
                                                                        Last edited by Aldo; 07 October 2006, 14:18 Saturday.

Comment

• chinets
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2005

che!! sos Vivo vos!!!!

Estimado Amigo Aldo,
                                                                          No to puedo crer che!! Sos un Vivo eh!! Y te tenes bolas viejo;x(

Me voy a vender el BMW M-5 y el X-5 porque me roban tambien aca!!
                                                                          Amor quiero, Los caracoles Snail de B&W y tambien los B&W 802D porgue me voy a comprar un Toyota Y no me compra el nuevo S 500 do Mercedez para que no me fanan mas !! Que Lindo!! :E

You have to Patent that mi amigo aldo, y soy abogado ,y te lo hago gratis con gusto che!! :T

Me matas de risa cuando me mandaste tu razon ,y como lograste todo esto con la mujer!! Wow.!! :rofl:

Mi mujer me dice que no me hincha las pelotas con el auto y comprate los B&W lo que sea!!! Parece que handa tu cosita sin patente !!! :W

Pero la verdad hay veces soy boludo porque quiero todo, los autos y el estereo de musica.!!! Si el chavo lo dice!!!!! 8O

Por ahora estoy sigiendo tu manera en comprar B&W cada ves hay mi cupleanos o anniversario me compro un B&W 802D o si no un nuevo auto!! :Z

Esta ves me voy a compleantar el System que tengo pare tener lo que tengas vos, cabron!! Tenes Lo mejor!!! Me encanta tu system!!! Es magnifico y halucinante!!! I love it and will sell my car or not upgrade any car for two years and get what you have. ;x(

Estoy enamorado con tu System hermano!! :T

Thanks for your insight on how to charm your wife into accepting One thing for another!! Very VIVO as I would put it!! :T
                                                                          Bravo!!!
                                                                          Hope to hera from you soon,
                                                                          Lovely hearing from you.
                                                                          Ciao hermano y que tenags mucha suerte y un buen dia para usted!!
                                                                          Un Abrazo,
                                                                          Chinets.

Comment

• yourtoys7
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 169

WOW, WOW, WOW, I'm lost for words.
                                                                            Aldo' this is the best looking system I have seen. Enjoy it all the way.........
                                                                            Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                                                                            PSB T6,
                                                                            Velodyne SPL 1000R
                                                                            Rotel RSX-1057
                                                                            Rotel RB-1070
                                                                            OPPO 103
                                                                            Apple TV
                                                                            [

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 448

#39
                                                                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"