X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Rear Imaging

Wow...... I just had an incredible experience with the 804S's which are surrounds.

This is tweaking to the max. I have a 5.1 setup.

First, just in 'Stereo' (2 x 802D's) you have to get up from the couch and double check that the center speaker is not on. Thats great imaging. :T

But this takes all. In THX mode on the Lexicon MC12B and 804S', I had sounds coming from behind my head, as if I had rear speakers !! This mode on the MC12 creates the "illusion" of 7.1 from a 5.1 setup.

Now I don't have the room behind my couch as there is a wall, but how sounds came from behind my head I will never figure out.

I never had it tweaked like this with either Rotel 1098 or the Halo C1. Was it a question of tweaking or processing ability.

I spent lots of hours with dpl meter in hand, 2 mic's, trying out speaker positions, modes, levels, distances the whole lot, but feel this is it.

The system is Tweaked ;x(
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

That Lexicon is magic man. I was looking at them because of some of the things that I was reading on a forum in the UK avtalk.co.uk There is a guy there in England who runs the Mc12bV5 and is great about the technical side of tweaking those bad boys.
    Unfortunately I could not afford the Lex so I settled with the Classe- SSP300...
    Your system has gone through some major changes lately. AWESOME!!!!!
    Stew

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
      That Lexicon is magic man. I was looking at them because of some of the things that I was reading on a forum in the UK avtalk.co.uk There is a guy there in England who runs the Mc12bV5 and is great about the technical side of tweaking those bad boys.
      Unfortunately I could not afford the Lex so I settled with the Classe- SSP300...
      Your system has gone through some major changes lately. AWESOME!!!!!
      I checked out that English site not bad "Mate" Can you send me the link to that discussion.

"Settling" for Classe ain't bad at all.

The reality is the differences at this level of the game are slight. Noticeable, but ony little moves at this point.

One couldn't say the changes between a $3000 item X and a $6000 item Y would be night and day. They would be slight but noticeable.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Misterdoggy, that is how a properly setup surround system is supposed to sound, I have always believed that you should treat your surround speaker placement just as you have for the front stereo setup the only difference is that it is behind you. You should have the same aspects, imaging, sound stage height and depth, great center image. Also another aspect is what I call the "side imaging". This is where the front mains and surrounds come together and create a seamless image of height and depth all around you. Have you watched the new War of the Worlds with this new setup yet? If not pay special attention to the scene with Tom Cruise and Tim Robinson in the basement when the probe comes in. Watch and listen what the sound does then. It will amaze you. :T
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
          Misterdoggy, that is how a properly setup surround system is supposed to sound, I have always believed that you should treat your surround speaker placement just as you have for the front stereo setup the only difference is that it is behind you. You should have the same aspects, imaging, sound stage height and depth, great center image. Also another aspect is what I call the "side imaging". This is where the front mains and surrounds come together and create a seamless image of height and depth all around you. Have you watched the new War of the Worlds with this new setup yet? If not pay special attention to the scene with Tom Cruise and Tim Robinson in the basement when the probe comes in. Watch and listen what the sound does then. It will amaze you. :T
          Soundgravy,

I will check that out that scene.

The difference between Stereo imaging in the front was with the front, it seemed that the center speaker was on.

The Rear effect "ONLY" came from "behind" my head, but there's nothing but wall. Yet it was directly behind me.!!

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Thats pretty cool isnt it! Another DVD to try is the Free DVD that B&W gave out when the new Diamond series came out, There is a track on there that is a spoken poem, I cant think of the track number or title but it really shows of the surround capabilities. Congrats on getting it setup!!
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

That's impressive, especially with a wall directly behind the listening position. I didn't even think that with a wall there, you COULD create that effect. Any chance you can put a few pics of yer room/setup on the forum?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by grit
                That's impressive, especially with a wall directly behind the listening position. I didn't even think that with a wall there, you COULD create that effect. Any chance you can put a few pics of yer room/setup on the forum?
                What might help it work is the fact that the surrounds are slightly forward (in front of) to the couch but toe in torwards the couch. Maybe thats how it throws the image there so easily.

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

Ahhh, yeah, that may do it, especially if they are pointed behind the listener/sweet spot, even just a bit. Doggy, I really would like to see pics if you ever get a chance.

Comment

• EastCoaster
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                    The Rear effect "ONLY" came from "behind" my head, but there's nothing but wall. Yet it was directly behind me.!!
                    Funny I only saw your posting today Misterdoggy! When I posted my thread on "sweet spot" a few days ago, I was experiencing quite a bit of what you described in this thread with my set-up (same 5.1 on a 7.1 sound field), except I had both back L&R pointed directly at my ears (no room behind the sofa)...

What happened to me which sent me vibrating with excitement was that I wasn't hearing the sound BEHIND my head, but rather INSIDE my head! As one of my friends commented: "I feel like the sound is a marble rolling around inside my brain!"...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"