X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

Monoblocks vs Stereo

Hi all. I'm currently powering my N802 with a Mark Levinson 432 (400w x 2). It's a fantastic setup! But ... there's always that niggling doubt that things could be better somehow ...

Has anyone here moved from a stereo amp to monoblocks and noticed a big difference?
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

For me, everything improved with monos. More accurate low end for one thing was obvious to me right away. More magic in the entire sound as in sound stage and imaging. Things just seem more controlled with monos to me.

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

:agree:
      Originally posted by Jesse111
      For me, everything improved with monos. More accurate low end for one thing was obvious to me right away. More magic in the entire sound as in sound stage and imaging. Things just seem more controlled with monos to me.
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

Of course the type of amp and amount of amplification should also be considered...

It really should be an apples to apples comparison, in terms of the amplifier technology, type, etc.

i.e. going from 400wpc x2 to a yamaha 1000wpc x1 won't necessarily show an improvement.

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

depends on the stereo amp in question. many are these days built dual mono under the skin anyways. effectively a couple of mono blocs in hte same case. going mono blocs in that case might not provide much benefit at all. apart from the additional cost of separate case etc.

check out the option in your system. that way you'll know if any benfit to be had or not. rather than make the jump and then wonder why.
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

It really depends on the specific amps as others have said. The individual characteristics of the amps can overshadow changes from stereo to mono operation.

I had N802s that I first powered with Sonic Frontiers Power 3 monos (200 WPC tube amps). I then got rid of those and went to a Levinson 333 (stereo amp). The Levinson resulted in better sound.
            Danish

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

I went from an old yamaha mx1000 to classe 15 monoblocks on my older matrix 801 series 3 speakers, and the difference was like night and day. I have them matched up with 2 dd-15's and it is a whole different listening level for me anyway.

Comment

• Clepto
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by gross30
                I went from an old yamaha mx1000 to classe 15 monoblocks on my older matrix 801 series 3 speakers, and the difference was like night and day. I have them matched up with 2 dd-15's and it is a whole different listening level for me anyway.
                that's like going from horse and buggy to porsche /: I don't think momoblocks would necessarily even be a factor there (;

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

RNKC, your Levinson is an awsome amp. As long as you enjoy the Levinson sound. On my 802's I found two sets of speaker wire per speaker provided a much fuller sound.

If you do find something better, it'll only be due to a different design producing a different sound. Not because the amp is much better. I'll be the signature "sound" of that mfr.

As long as you not experiencing listener fatigue sooner than you should, the amp may be the one for you.

Jeff

Comment

• gross30
                    • Jun 2005

Clepto, you are so correct, I probably shouldn't have even compared that, but there was a definate change there. Thats a no-brainer. My next upgrade in the spring will be some newer up to date main speakers. I have to let the wife calm down after my new truck !!

Comment

• RNKC
                      • Jun 2005

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I love my Levinson 432. It is a dual mono as opposed to a stereo amp. I'm idly playing with the concept of moving to Mark Levinson monoblocs - perhaps the 436 models which are 350w each so should be comparable to my 432. Of course, those massive 33H and 33 beckon ...

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

The degree of improvement won't necessarily come from more power but from a better implementation of the circuit topology. Like Jesse, I noticed a marked improvement going from the Classe' CA-2200 to the CA-M400 in the lower registers as well. Making low level listening possible.

The ML432 is already quite impressive. I wouldn't suspect much audible gain would be had going to a pair of ML436. Maybe misterdoggy will chime in with his experience.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• chowhwk
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by RNKC
                          Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I love my Levinson 432. It is a dual mono as opposed to a stereo amp. I'm idly playing with the concept of moving to Mark Levinson monoblocs - perhaps the 436 models which are 350w each so should be comparable to my 432. Of course, those massive 33H and 33 beckon ...
                          you will have to go to monoblocks in the same class as 33H before you have have a distinctive difference.

If you like Mark's sound, go for a 33H.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
                            Hi all. I'm currently powering my N802 with a Mark Levinson 432 (400w x 2). It's a fantastic setup! But ... there's always that niggling doubt that things could be better somehow ...

Has anyone here moved from a stereo amp to monoblocks and noticed a big difference?
                            RNKC,

I was powering my 802D's with a Mark Levinson 432 and went thru the same thing you are going thru. I switched to Mark Levinson Mono's 2 x 436's and there was improvement. Mids, definition, depth, detail. Not shocking night and day difference, but a small jump rather than a Giant Leap. Was it worth the cost ? Is it ever...... I'm happy.

Comment

• RNKC
                              • Jun 2005

I guess that's the issue for us at this level - is it ever really worth the cost?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"