X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ami_gr
    • Sep 2006

Valve Amplifier For 802d

Anybody use a valve amplifier with 802D?

I would like to know your experience....
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Do you have one in mind? The MC275 works great but it's a 75wpc that outputs close to 100wpc.

Comment

• ami_gr
      • Sep 2006

No i dont have one in mind.
      I just want to know if a 802d/valve amp system could sound good. (You know, everybody uses transistor for 802d)

And I wonder if a valve amp is able to drive the 802d load.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

everyone? nah! I hear the McIntosh (MC275) on the 802D's at my dealer all the time. sounds great! The preamp (C220) gives more of a tube sound though if that is what you are looking for.

Comment

• boss
          • Aug 2006

jim777

I am struggling: C46 or C220?

I know nothing about tubes and never had one. Any words of wisdom re upkeeping a tube gear?

Sound wise do they (46 vs 220) differ much in your opinion?

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

I would definitely go for the C220, because of the way it sounds. If you want something musical (and almost magical!) instead of plain vanilla "studio monitor" sound, it is the way to go. You will get great sound and detail any way, but the C220 is special in some way. It will be the first big thing I buy after getting a new home, so it's already on my list

BTW the small signal transistors used in preamps last decades so it really isn't an issue. Thanks to guitarists, those tubes will be in easy supply for decades too.

Comment

• boss
              • Aug 2006

Jim777

What I like about C220 is its back panel. It looks like that of a pre-amp.

In this part of the world it is impossible for me to hook up C220+MC252 to audition the 803S.

I am making a gamble here, after reading all there is to know about the 'compatibility' of McIntosh and B&W.

Wish me luck, man!!!

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

You should listen to the MC252 before buying it. I would trust the MC275 or MC402 more than the MC252 (it can be a little more "harsh" than the others (for a mac), but on the other hand, the C220 will compensate)

Comment

• Eliav
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                  You should listen to the MC252 before buying it. I would trust the MC275 or MC402 more than the MC252 (it can be a little more "harsh" than the others (for a mac), but on the other hand, the C220 will compensate)
                  Hi Guys
                  By no means do I mean to interrupt the tubes nirvana, however, Some SS amps really do a great job reproducing "soft" "sweet" 'smooth" and "warm" sound. To my ears a certain SS amp sounded as smooth and warm as a well known brand tube amp..( hint hint... :W ) yet with more nuances and detail. again, this was to MY ears.
                  Cheers
                  Eliav
                  :T Socrat

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"