X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

Acoustic system?

OK - so this is a bit off topic, but I do have all B&W speakers - so I'll give it a go.

A local dealer came round to my home yesterday and brought with him some "Acoustic System" room treatment.

They consisted of small wooden blocks with tiny cups on top.

The cups are made from different metals (silver, gold, platinum).

We listened to some music, then he proceeded to place 12 of these in various places on the walls usig a kind of blue tac putty.

We listened to the same music selections and he aksed if I could hear a difference.

Well - I could hear something different, and when he told me the price of the setup he had just installed I knew what it was.

It was the sound of snake oil dripping from his pocket (along with the money rattling in there as well).

The total cost of the room treatment?

4000 quid ! ! ! ! ! 8O

Anyone else out there heard of this system - and your thoughts?

P.S - he took the stuff away with him when he left.! :rofl:
  • chowhwk
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by caleb
    OK - so this is a bit off topic, but I do have all B&W speakers - so I'll give it a go.

A local dealer came round to my home yesterday and brought with him some "Acoustic System" room treatment.

They consisted of small wooden blocks with tiny cups on top.

The cups are made from different metals (silver, gold, platinum).

We listened to some music, then he proceeded to place 12 of these in various places on the walls usig a kind of blue tac putty.

We listened to the same music selections and he aksed if I could hear a difference.

Well - I could hear something different, and when he told me the price of the setup he had just installed I knew what it was.

It was the sound of snake oil dripping from his pocket (along with the money rattling in there as well).

The total cost of the room treatment?

4000 quid ! ! ! ! ! 8O

Anyone else out there heard of this system - and your thoughts?

P.S - he took the stuff away with him when he left.! :rofl:

never heard of this. But Harmonix in Japan sells set of refective/absorbing labels. It sticks on the the wall on where the reflections points are. So it will change/absorb some of the reflections in your room. In a room with little accoustics fittings, it could be effectives. Recently I saw pictures of similar ones but with different shapes and sizes.

I believe you can do the same, in treating the reflection points to achieve the same result.

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Yup!! That looks like snake oil and smells like Snake oil, I guess then it is Snake oil!!!

Does the dealer Hissss when he ssssspeaks?? Because he has been rattling a lot of Snake BS to you, and hope he crawls under that rock you have outside your home for him!!

4000 quid??? What is it? The Holy Grail!!! for God sake!. a cup is a cup!!!

cup a tea?? Anyone!!

Cheers!

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

The subtle science of hisss-tonomics

Attached Files

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

You mean these things?

Here's a review, but fair warning, the 6 Moons guys can hear things at the quantum level.

Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

oh that is crazy, the only thing that really works is Bixby dirt in a jar, i can get it wholesale for $100 a quart, you need about 12 to treat a whole room, works wonders,makes any speaker sound like a B & W 802D, and it is nasa approved

Kurt

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Kurt you Ssssnake!!!

Watch out guys!! The dealer with those cups was Kurt!!! :rofl:

He would sell you Bixby dirt for $100 ,just like he would sell his swords for 5,000 dollars, when he can get the same sword at The home Depot for 5 bucks!!! :E Are they NASA approved too like GING SING Knives?? :roll:

Kurt uses Bixby in all his Bose speakers to make them sound like 802D specs, and I believe he puts them in his Rotel gear too to make them sound like Krell Mono Blocks. :W
              Kurt Hisssssssssssses when he SSSSSSSppppeaks so the real and genuine Snake Oil Charmer award goes to our dear friend and Rotel freak KurtHolz :T

You Krell Dog you...Where have you been hidding pal!!

Keep In touch !!!!
              Cheers!! :T

Comment

• kurtholz
                • Feb 2005

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

you have taken all the wind out of me with that one

ok, here are a few for you

Changing lawyers is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animals aren't as stupid as people think: after all, they don't have any lawyers.

A man was on vacation when he ran into an old acquaintance. "Hello, Joe," he said. "I haven't seen you in years. What are you doing these days?"

"I'm practicing law," whispered Joe. "But don't tell my mother. She thinks I'm still a pimp."

hahahahhaha

regards

Kurt

Comment

• caleb
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by greggz
                  You mean these things?

Here's a review, but fair warning, the 6 Moons guys can hear things at the quantum level.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...esonators.html
                  Hi Gregzz,

yes - but the ones I was shown were on a small 2"x2" block of maple wood with one of these cups balanced on a kind of small tripod on top.
                  But basically the same approach.....

The cups were madef rom different materials in different places - gold, silver and gold "special" as my memory recalls.

- oh and of course some snake oil to lubricate them ! ! !

Comment

• Arneson
                    • Jan 2006

You mean these things?

Those silver helmuts are very effective.
                    I would not stick them on the wall, never, but my wife and I would look cool wearing them.
                    Jim

Comment

• RNKC
                      • Jun 2005

Most rooms could probably benefit from some form of acoustic treatment. (This is just my opnion - not informed in any way.) Having said that I wonder about the price tag of such an undertaking, along with the aesthetics of some of the treatments I've seen.

I do consider myself a purist - that's one of the reasons I use B&W after all. But when the logical part of my mind thinks about it, digital room correction does make sense. Instead of altering the sound by spending lots on odd-looking stuff you stick to your walls, why not just alter the sound at source? But then the purist part of me kicks back in and says, "Noooo!! C a n ' t ... a l t e r ... s o u n d ... a t ... s o u r c e!!!!"

So if I can ever resolve this minor, moral dilemna I'll probably take a look at TaCT systems for digital room correction. Fortunately (for me) in the meantime, my room sounds OK so I don't feel the urge for room treatment.

Comment

• Clepto
                        • Feb 2006

Lol, why they need to be made of gold is beyond me. Fabric acoustic treatments are probably more effective, and cheaper to boot!

Comment

• greggz
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by caleb
                          yes - but the ones I was shown were on a small 2"x2" block of maple wood with one of these cups balanced on a kind of small tripod on top.
                          You mean like this...

Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Jesse111
                            • Jul 2005

You mean these things?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...esonators.html
                            6 moons has no credibility except with the voodoo venders. LaLa land for the supersonicfregulisticexpialidocious goobers of audio. :rofl:

Comment

• Clepto
                              • Feb 2006

You mean like this...

I think I made something like that in 2nd grade for a crafts project :W

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

You mean like this...

Yes - these are the ones - stuck onto the walls by a kind of blu tac putty only theirs is yellow.

Comment

• chinets
                                  • Jun 2005

Sword Fever Kurt!!!!!!!!!!

Kurt you Sword monger!!!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha for the Lawyer Jokes!!! :T
                                  Her are a few for you Pal!!:

Once the Shogun gave a reception to honor the best swordsmen in Japan. All the top samurai were in attendance along with Court nobles and beautiful geisha. A geisha approached the third highest ranked swordsmen and asked; "Sir, can you demonstrate your sword skills for me?" At once, the samurai drew his sword a cut a hovering fly in half. "Very impressive", said the geisha. When she saw the samurai who was the second highest ranked swordsmen in Japan she asked him the same question. He immediately drew his sword and cut two pesky flys in half. "Most impressive", said the geisha. Then she spotted the samurai that was the highest ranked swordsmen in all of Japan. "Honorable Sir", she said "would you be so kind as to demonstrate your sword skill for me?". The samurai drew his sword and cut into the air in the direction of a nearby fly, but the fly buzzed away. "Oh, so sorry you missed", said the geisha. "But I didn't miss", said the samurai humbly "that fly will have no offspring." :rofl:

The katana asked the wakizashi, "Isn't that blade you're carrying heavy?"
                                  The wakizashi replied, "He's not heavy, He's my kozuka." :W

Q: Why did the sword cross the road?
                                  A: Because it was strapped to a chicken!

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
                                  A: Because it was going to a sword show. :W

There once was a samurai from Kyoto.
                                  The sword he carried was Koto.
                                  My blade it is sharp he was heard to remark,
                                  And the rest of the mounts are by Goto. :E

Japanese Sword Auction Terminology "True" Meanings

"slight stains on blade" = (the blade is more rust than steel)
                                  "light rust spots" = (the blade is rusted beyond recognition)
                                  "rare" = (it's the only one I have at the moment)
                                  "scabbard slightly dented" = (it looks like a train ran over it)
                                  "some minor pitting" = (you can see light thru the rust holes)
                                  "blade has small nicks in edge" = (you could use it as a saw)
                                  "good sword for martial arts" = (no collector would buy it)
                                  "blade could use a light polish" = (it will only cost $2000 to restore this jewel)
                                  "missing tsuba" = (sold the tsuba for big bucks, but the blade is junk)
                                  "it's a mumei gendaito blade" = (got some ocean front property in Utah if you want it too)
                                  "sword needs some restoration" = (it will cost $5000 and two years work to save this dog)
                                  "sword just came out of the woodwork" = (it's been in the back of my closet for years)
                                  "handle wrap somewhat frayed" = (the handle looks like it went through a shredder)
                                  "selling this sword with no reserve" = (I'll take anything to get rid of this loser)
                                  "blade is unsigned" = (the maker was too embarassed to sign it)
                                  "blade has minor flaws" = (the steel is peeling off in chunks)
                                  "a good study sword" = (blade is damaged beyond repair)
                                  "blade is slightly bent" = (it looks like a cork screw) :lol: :E :rofl:

Now swallow those swords pal and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
                                  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!! ;x(
                                  Miss you buddy and hope you always keep in touch!!!
                                  Have a wonderful day to you and the family!!!!!!
                                  Ciao Amigo!!!!
                                  Chinets

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

Where is the SWORD-MAN!!!?????????????????
                                    I am having swordfish for dinner tonight!! Care to join???
                                    Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"