B&W ASW855 in Home Cinema and 2 Channel Stereo..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiophile
    • Jan 2005

B&W ASW855 in Home Cinema and 2 Channel Stereo..

I just received the new ASW855 and plugged it in on Home Cinema....unbelievable sound. I need to fix the doors and windows so they do not tremble when I play a movie. So far so good.
    One question is on the 2 channel set-up. I feel it is too loud if played by the same setting as for Home Cinema. How do I set it up right without having to walk over and turn down the volume every time when I switch from surround to 2 channel...? Thanks for the advise....
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by audiophile
    I just received the new ASW855 and plugged it in on Home Cinema....unbelievable sound. I need to fix the doors and windows so they do not tremble when I play a movie. So far so good.
    One question is on the 2 channel set-up. I feel it is too loud if played by the same setting as for Home Cinema. How do I set it up right without having to walk over and turn down the volume every time when I switch from surround to 2 channel...? Thanks for the advise....
    First of all I think it depends on the processor you have.Mine I'm able to lower the volume on the processor with IR control.If this is not possible, you can add a room EQ with volume control (Velodyne SMS-1) which will allow you to change the volume of the sub and is able to drive 3 subs

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

audiophile, you don't mention the other equipment in your system, so it's hard to say. For example, I recently picked up an ASW850, and control it with my Rotel RSP-1068.

With this processor, I can choose a different setting for each format (e.g., stereo v. dts v. dolby digital, etc.). So, once you get it dialed in for one format, you can adjust accordingly for the others. One additional feature that the RSP-1068 provides is the ability to adjust the sub channel 'on-the-fly' (while listening). So, you can experiement and adjust a bit before you make the final setting.
      Brad

Comment

• audiophile
        • Jan 2005

Blindamood/jericho, thanks, I can control it on the Arcam AV9 processor when listening (which indeed is better than walking over to the sub). I just thought that you could put in a kind of preset sub volume when listening to 2 channel. I previously played with REL sub and that had two connections. One for 2channel, connected to the speakerconnection on the amp, and one for HT connected to the sub connection on the pre-amp. This was very handy as you could set volume control on the REL for both connections separately.
        Anyway, I can live with this small disadvantage... because the sound of the B&W is unbelievable (so much better than the REL).

Thanks again.

:T

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Not many times you hear a B&W sub approved over a REL. That is good to know. My current sub is a B&W800; looking for another to complement it.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
            • Apr 2005

The ASW855 is a dramatic leap forward for B&W
            The Rohacell driver material is world class...
            this sub must be heard

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Andrew,
              Since the ASW825 is essentially the same as the ASW800 (except for Rohacell driver), would it be possible to replace 800 driver with a 825 driver?

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by audiophile
                I just thought that you could put in a kind of preset sub volume when listening to 2 channel.
                That is exactly what I was referring to on my Rotel processor. Since you have the Arcam AV9, read page 15 of your user manual ("Subwoofer Settings")...there you will find exactly the setting you are looking for. :W
                Brad

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by miner
                  Andrew,
                  Since the ASW825 is essentially the same as the ASW800 (except for Rohacell driver), would it be possible to replace 800 driver with a 825 driver?
                  Not according to B&W service
                  The drivers screw-hole configuration is different.

Comment

• audiophile
                    • Jan 2005

Checked page 15, got it. A lot easier.
                    with regards of approving the B&W over the REL. the REL I have is a Storm3 which is obviously a bit more affordable than the ASW855, which could very well explain the difference. I am not sure how the 855 would compare with similar priced REL subs. And don't get me wrong, the Storm3 is a very fine sub and blends in very well in my system. It just that the 855 seems to go a lot deeper (Hz). Maybe it is also the difference between a down-firing (REL) and front-firing (B&W)...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"