X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

Big Mono Blocks driving 800D's

Would love to hear everyones experience and opinions with monoblocks around the 1000 watt 8 ohm range.

(As tboooe already knows) I'm considering the McIntosh 1201. Just beginning the shopping around stage.
    Last edited by Jesse111; 26 August 2006, 22:50 Saturday.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
    Would love to hear everyones experience and opinions with monoblocks around the 1000 watt 8 ohm range.

(As tboooe already knows) I'm considering the McIntosh 1201. Just beginning the shopping around stage.
    FWIW, I am at 500 watts at 8 ohms and 800 or 900 watts at 4 ohms and don't even come close to pushing them to even break a sweat on N801's.

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Jesse111....Pass Labs 600W monoblocks are calling your name...succomb to the temptation...you need Pass Labs...

Comment

• Jesse111
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
        Jesse111....Pass Labs 600W monoblocks are calling your name...succomb to the temptation...you need Pass Labs...
        Good grief man! That MOFO is 18 large! Are you crazy? You think I got a money tree in my back yard? You must be out of your mind.

I had to say that. The wife was watching.

I like it.
        But I like the 1000.5 better. YEEEHAAA!
        NOW were talking mono blocks baby.

Comment

• Jesse111
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
          FWIW, I am at 500 watts at 8 ohms and 800 or 900 watts at 4 ohms and don't even come close to pushing them to even break a sweat on N801's.
          Thanks DM3000,

When my 800D's come in, I plan on giving them a few weeks with my Mac 501's. If I'm completely satisfied I will most likely stay where I'm at. I have no doubt the 501's will perform superbly. I had a long talk with the tech at Mac about the 1201 and that is what has got my juices flowing on the subject. But as you say, 500 high quality watts may be everything I want. But those 1201's sure are pretty.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Mmmmm, 18 large..... [/drool]

Now where is that money tree,

I am also running 500 watt monos on the N802s, 1000..... Hrm, that would rock... so would a pair of 800s.
            B&W

Comment

• DeepEndX
              • Feb 2005

I have krell 750 mcx for my 800D's. It's 750 watts 8 ohms. If you like rock, hip hop, r&b, you got to audtion it. Music is very explosive, detail, thick, awesome soundstage....

RH

Comment

• tboooe
                • Jun 2005

Good grief man! That MOFO is 18 large! Are you crazy? You think I got a money tree in my back yard? You must be out of your mind.

I had to say that. The wife was watching.

I like it.
                But I like the 1000.5 better. YEEEHAAA!
                NOW were talking mono blocks baby.
                Your 800D deserve the extra power. Whats another few grand after dropping serious cash on those awesome speakers? Shoot, now you got me thinkign...1000.5. WOW!!!! Time to go back and raid the kids' college fund (again)....

Comment

• jericho
                  • Dec 2004

I'm pushing my 800D's with Mac 1201's Jesse.It's still a big difference the 1201 too the 501.I did the test because I've got a 501 too for my HTM-1D but I am going to put a 1201 on this one too and afterwards I will use the 501 on my 802D's I just ordered as rear channel.If you like I post a picture!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I've got a friend just over the Swiss border who has the same configuration as Jericho pair of 1201's with 800D's and a Htm1D driven by a 501 and he is as happy as a clam.

He was driving them with krell 400CX's (2x400w) one for each speaker =800 watts and I asked him why he was changing and he just answered that he like the blue meters.

Jericho I would love to see some pic's

Comment

• jericho
                      • Dec 2004

Well Misterdoggy you wanted pictures, here they are!I've ordered a pair of 802D's as surrounds, first I tried with the 805's I have in my living room but They look very small compared with the rest in my upper room.As said before, afterwards I'll change the Mac 501 in a 1201.I'll buy a second one to use with the 802D's.
                      I'm using a PS Audio power generator and changed all my power cables in PS Audio Statement.The processor is the MX-135, the DVD is the MVP-861 and the IR is from Nuevo.
                      Thanks Jericho
                      Belgium
                      Attached Files

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

That is one nice looking listening Room. ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

The Carpet and ceilings look like its a nice listening area.

No Home Cinema ? Screen ?

Congratulations, beautifully put together

The Amps plug directly in to the wall I guess.

Did you make a dedicated mains line to the room ?

Tell me more :T :T

Comment

• jericho
                          • Dec 2004

Well in my other living I have a plasma (see picture), but as we all know, high end material costs a lot of money , there is always the WAF,so I first buy all sound material, afterwards well get a large 50" screen to put on top, meanwhile we have a small monitor for doing the setting on the Mac's.
                          I indeed plug the Amps strait into wall units.I brought a special cable 5 time 2,5 mm upstairs in that room just to connect everything.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Everything looks well chosen in your life (including the little lady)

Once again, my compliments !!

Comment

• Jesse111
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jericho
                              I'm pushing my 800D's with Mac 1201's Jesse.It's still a big difference the 1201 too the 501.I did the test because I've got a 501 too for my HTM-1D but I am going to put a 1201 on this one too and afterwards I will use the 501 on my 802D's I just ordered as rear channel.If you like I post a picture!!
                              Excellent pics Jericho. Thank you and your room looks just great. Your first hand experiece with the two amps in question mean a great deal to me. I"m leaning very heavy towards the 1201.

Would you mind sharing some of the finer points of the differences that you notice between the 501 and the 1201 on the 800D's? I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Comment

• jericho
                                • Dec 2004

Excellent pics Jericho. Thank you and your room looks just great. Your first hand experiece with the two amps in question mean a great deal to me. I"m leaning very heavy towards the 1201.

Would you mind sharing some of the finer points of the differences that you notice between the 501 and the 1201 on the 800D's? I'd really like to hear your opinion.
                                Well Jess dynamic the 1201's are a lot better, they've got a lot of punch, when I play in surround for example I have to set the pre out for the center +6 dB to get him playing more or less like the main speakers.

What you also can do is bi amping those 800D's with two 501's, but that's a choice you need to make for yourself.I heard those 1201's and compared them with a lot of other amp's like Classé CAM-400, Accuphase, Linn, Krell etc...
                                I can tell you they have all their own sound, and depending on your taste you have to buy.At the end there were two choices left for me, Krell 700 watt or those 1201's.I was leaning to Krell but did not like the pre also I bought my stuff in the Netherlands and got a better deal on those 1201's.Very glad I took them

Comment

• jericho
                                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                  Everything looks well chosen in your life (including the little lady)

Once again, my compliments !!
                                  Sorry MD have to disappoint you, the little lady is 1,74 m tall

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Its not meant literally that she is little, Its an expression "the little lady" meaning any of our wives

......."the little lady in your life"

She's gorgeous you're lucky, you've got it all beautiful Hifi and a beautiful wife

Comment

• Indytown
                                      • Apr 2005

Well Misterdoggy you wanted pictures, here they are!I've ordered a pair of 802D's as surrounds, first I tried with the 805's I have in my living room but They look very small compared with the rest in my upper room.As said before, afterwards I'll change the Mac 501 in a 1201.I'll buy a second one to use with the 802D's.
                                      I'm using a PS Audio power generator and changed all my power cables in PS Audio Statement.The processor is the MX-135, the DVD is the MVP-861 and the IR is from Nuevo.
                                      Thanks Jericho
                                      Belgium
                                      Jericho,

Spectacular, simply gorgeous, the MAC's have a definite sound to them, true, detailed, very romantic.

What speaker cable are you using curently? And why the change to the PS power cables.

Indy

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Jericho...... WOW!

:T

Simply amazing!
                                        B&W

Comment

• jericho
                                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Indytown
                                          Jericho,

Spectacular, simply gorgeous, the MAC's have a definite sound to them, true, detailed, very romantic.

What speaker cable are you using curently? And why the change to the PS power cables.

Indy
                                          I'm using Siltech Classic LS 188 MK2 for the speakers, a siltech diamond six cable for the DVD to the processor and I changed power cables in PS Audio Statement, the conducting material is better, a lower noise floor, gives you also increased depth, bass, and richness of the sonic tapestry

Comment

• Jesse111
                                            • Jul 2005

and I changed power cables in PS Audio Statement, the conducting material is better, a lower noise floor, gives you also increased depth, bass, and richness of the sonic tapestry
                                            Power cords did all that? Hey Kal, what do you think about that?

Comment

• Al Garay
                                              • Jan 2004

Jericho,

I feel sad that you left yourself very little room for improvement. Now, you will need to find another hobby or another room to install a system.

How do you like the subwoofers? How do you have them setup to compliment the 800Ds?

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                                • Aug 2005

The room for improvement would be maybe room treatment. What are you using for first reflection ?

Nice equipment.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

Power cords did all that? Hey Kal, what do you think about that?
                                                  What do you think? :roll:

Kal
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                    What do you think? :roll:

Kal
                                                    Ok then, we'll both pass the buck.

I believe exactly what Audioholics has to say on the matter.

Are expensive HDMI cables are worth the money? What's science and what's marketing? Learn about the different kinds and qualities of home theater cables here. We push through the marketing BS and

Scroll down to power leads.

Comment

• jericho
                                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Al Garay
                                                      Jericho,

I feel sad that you left yourself very little room for improvement. Now, you will need to find another hobby or another room to install a system.

How do you like the subwoofers? How do you have them setup to compliment the 800Ds?

Hey Al, where did you get the name "Garay"Is this your real name????Because that's my real name!!!!

I like the subs (asw-855) very much.I tried the velodyne sms-1 to combine but it was worse.I can better do the settings on my McIntosh MX-135.

Comment

• jericho
                                                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                                                        The room for improvement would be maybe room treatment. What are you using for first reflection ?

Nice equipment.
                                                        I'm thinking about adding some Harmonix feet under my main speakers, the subs and the center, but again we're talking about al lot of dollars if you take the RF-999MT, almost 1000$ for one set, I need five of them.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Im wondering why with no video, you didnt go with another 800D as the center?

And again, I sure as hell would not complain!
                                                          B&W

Comment

• jericho
                                                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                            Im wondering why with no video, you didnt go with another 800D as the center?

And again, I sure as hell would not complain!
                                                            Don't worry the TV and video are coming, just need to wait for some $ because I already spend a small fortune

Comment

• Al Garay
                                                              • Jan 2004

Jericho,

I'm proud to be related to you. Seriously, that is my real name. I would be interested in hearing stories about your family tree. My dad has told me stories that go back to Christoher Columbus. Contact me, algarayATgmail.com

Al

Comment

• jericho
                                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Al Garay
                                                                Jericho,

I'm proud to be related to you. Seriously, that is my real name. I would be interested in hearing stories about your family tree. My dad has told me stories that go back to Christoher Columbus. Contact me, algarayATgmail.com

Al
                                                                Thanks Al

I'll try to contact you by PM this weekend.Middle of the week we are busy at work (as police officer in police academy Brussels in Belgium)
                                                                My mail is rudi.garay@pandora.be

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"