X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nancy
    • Aug 2006

Say It Isn't So....

This is my first evening here as a registered user.
    I would like to get some feedback from members of this group, please.

My husband and I went to audition B&W's at our local dealer today. We listened to the 804S's thru the 802D's. I was really excited to get to those 802's and prepared to love them. I was disappointed.

I liked the 803D best. I found just as much definition with a smoother sound. The 802's made me feel a bit beat up. Yes. The sound was fuller but not as friendly.

Now I don't want to give up on those sexy 802's too soon so here's my question: Could it be the room was too small? The power source? Or what?

They powered them with a Classe CA2200 in a 15x18 room.

Thanks for your help!
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

The room position might be an issue. Did they move each pair into the room and/or the best position or did they have them all lined up and fixed?

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Nancy
      • Aug 2006

They brought them in one pair at a time and placed them.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

I also prefer the idea of getting 802D's, but I think that I might also prefer the 803D's. I didn't do a fair test (different room, etc.) but the 803D's sounded more "fun" to me. It could have been another factor though... good luck, and don't forget to have fun - welcome to the club!

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Welcome to the club, Nancy :T

Not an easy and immediate decision but a possible one given a little bit of time. In my opinion, positioning could be an issue. Also, if the 802D's being auditioned at the dealer are brand new the possibility exists that they are not "broken-in". This could be a reason for their "harsher" sound. I think that the room size of 15 x 18 is fine, however if it is not acoustically treated then that could possibly also account for what you heard.

A workaround may be to try to audition these fine speakers at another dealer or two and see if your opinions change.

Good luck

Comment

• devils&dust
            • May 2006

I found that the 802 really need a huge space to shine, the 803d can also handle big rooms, so very often the 803d are the better choice!
            What about a testing of the 803d at home, your local dealer should be helpful, so you might try them and maybe trade your 802s in even though they look great! Don't let you tell they are the best in any case!!!! :T
            It's all about Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce

Comment

• RNKC
              • Jun 2005

The room makes a big difference but ultimately, it's your room at home that matters most.

Another possibility is that the 802 weren't broken in yet. If they were brand new and didn't have many hours on them, they would sound pretty bad. Brand new out of the box B&W sounds quite horrible. But break them in for a few hundred hours and the music just flows.

Comment

• Nancy
                • Aug 2006

Thanks for all the replys. Just to try to fill in the blanks, the speakers have been on the showroom floor for about a year as demo's. The room was decent although a bit smaller than what we have...ours will be 13x26.
                I would like to listen to the same speakers in a different setting. Anyone know where I might find a DEALER LOCATOR? I didn't see one on the B&W site.

Comment

• Nancy
                  • Aug 2006

One more thing.....
                  The dealer told us there is a 'known problem' in the room at about 60 HZ

Comment

• RNKC
                    • Jun 2005

Which country / region are you in Nancy?

For what it's worth, you can try this link. Dealer Locator should be at the top of the page, 3rd link from the left.

Comment

• chuck1801
                      • Feb 2006

I auditioned both the 802D and 803D several times before buying the 802Ds. The first time I heard the 802D they did not sound that great. After that I had the 803D as my likely choice. The next time I heard them they were re-positioned in front of a different wall in the same room and then WOW. I listened to them again in a different room at the same dealer and again, awesome. I disagree that the 802D need a huge space. I would think that your dealer should be able to work it out. Is it their only room? The power source is not the issue, the Classe CA2200 is an outstanding amp for the 802D.

There is a dealer locator on the B&W site.

Comment

• Nancy
                        • Aug 2006

Thanks!
                        The dealer does have another room and we were talking about having him move the speakers in there this time. We hesitated before because it is such a different room from what ours will be but now we feel we need another test.

Comment

• Nancy
                          • Aug 2006

Oh, and we are in the midwest of the United States.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"