Final Choice: SYSTEMS A, G or H ? (placing order very soon)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babar
    • Jan 2005

Final Choice: SYSTEMS A, G or H ? (placing order very soon)

FINALLY!

I HOPE TO PLACE THE ORDER WITHIN THE NEXT 24 - 48 HOURS :P

I threw in the Original system (A) along with the final choices G & H.

80:20 (HT/MUSIC)

Questions:

1. What other options exist besides the Rotel 1077? As I am going over store credit anyway, my options for this unit are open.

2. Do Classe come with audio wires for the three prong plugs as seen in the brochure?

3. With respect to color, I am leaning pretty open with the exception of the light wood. I like the one in the brochure (PDF) on page 28 and the black. The room decor is irrelevant as it will change, however the HT seating is La-Z-Boys' "BING CHERRY".

SYSTEM A:
    SIM2 Domino 35H
    Rotel RSP-1098
    B&W NautiluS 803D
    B&W 805
    B&W ASW 850
    B&W Nautilus HTM STAND
    B&W HTM 3S
    NEW:Speaker Cables Subwoofer Audio Interconnects Video Interconnects

SYSTEM G:
    Rotel RSP-1098
    Classe CA-5200
    B&W NautiluS 802D
    B&W Nautilus HTM2D
    B&W Nautilus HTM STAND
    OLD: 42" Plasma Minipods for Surround (6) Denon DVD 900 LCR 60 S3 (rear centre?) B&W ASW 500 sub Subwoofer wiring Previous Wiring (MonsterXP NW)

SYSTEM H:
    Rotel 1077
    Classe SSP-300
    Classe CA-3200
    B&W NautiluS 802D
    B&W Nautilus HTM2D
    B&W Nautilus HTM STAND
    OLD: 42" Plasma Minipods for Surround (6) Denon DVD 900 LCR 60 S3 (rear centre?) B&W ASW 500 sub Subwoofer wiring Previous Wiring (MonsterXP NW)

Thanks for everyone's help & Special Thanks ;x( to:

Aussie Geoff Moderator
    misterdoggy Senior Member
    norpus Member
    sikoniko Senior Member
    ti33er Senior Member

If anyone has any questions please read the original post/thread first which describes the confines I am working on along with my preferences:

Let the voting proceed. :T
    Attached Files
    SYSTEM A: SIM35H - BW 803D 805 HTM3S - RSP1098 RMB1095 RB1090 RT1080
    23.33%
    SYSTEM G: BW 802D, HTM2D - RSP1098 - CA-5200 (OLD: 42" plasma, Denon DVD 900, Minipods, ASW500)
    13.33%
    SYSTEM H: BW 802D, HTM2D -CA SSP300 CA-3200 -RMB1077 (OLD: 42" plasma, Denon 900, Minipods, ASW500)
    63.33%
    Last edited by babar; 14 August 2006, 10:55 Monday.
  • babar
    • Jan 2005

Comments on your choice in the poll are welcome

Comment

• norpus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by babar
      Comments on your choice in the poll are welcome
      I think you have a typo on the 1075 (the 1077 would get my vote if it were the option)
      Cheers
      Norpus
      "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Fraise
        • Dec 2004

What about system G but with 803D's and a classe preamp instead. I dont think the 5200 is the right amp for 802D's and i dont think any system consisting of 802D's or 803D's should contain any Rotel components.

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Fraise
          What about system G but with 803D's and a classe preamp instead. I dont think the 5200 is the right amp for 802D's and i dont think any system consisting of 802D's or 803D's should contain any Rotel components.
          :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• Fraise
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WI Rotel
            :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
            Thanks for your contribution.

Comment

• babar
              • Jan 2005

saving some $$

What about the following:

If you have been following this, you are aware I am purchasing the system on store credit. Keeping in mind a desire not to go over the credit I got thinking of the following:

i assume I will be using HT 80%-90% of the time.
              therefore classe ssp less useful
              classe amps will drive the speakers which was the main problem earlier

Electricals:
              Rotel RSP-1098 $2000
              Classe CA-3200 $6000

Speakers:
              BW 802D $12000
              BW HTM2D + Stand $5000

= $24,000

That just about uses up the store creidt and I don't have to fork out $4k.
              Also, I can upgrade the system later on with the money saved instead of shelling out right now.
              The dealer suggested that I will not see much of a difference in HT between using a Rotel and Classe. Recocmended buying the Classe CDP-300 but that's very expensive and I can probably do without it for now as my video (plasma) is not good enough to take advantage of it.

I have already ordered the speakers

Would really appreciate your help on the above. thanks.

This adds up to

Comment

• norpus
                • Oct 2005

Babar
                I voted G before in your poll for 27K, so I guess this is similar at 25K but without the extra 2ch and PS to boot. My reasoning was to have 2 extra quality/identical power channels to be able to passively biamp the 802d at a later stage upgrade, but some others here eg Kal may not agree that is worthy
                Cheers
                Norpus
                "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I think you can do better than the rotel 1098 at the same or lower price. It is an older pre and from my friends who have had them, the price doesnt justify the quality.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• babar
                    • Jan 2005

Corpus: What do you mean by PS? I see the change of the CA5200 --> CA3200.

Sikoniki: You probably forgot that my choices lie within Theta Digitas, Classe and Rotel. Therefore please advise within those brands.

Alternatively, I can go with a Subwoofer or surrounds (DS8 or SCM1S or 805's)

OR I can go with System H and drop the amplifier for the rear speakers to make the budget meet for now?

Keep in mind I have the minipods which I plan on currently using for surrounds.

I am really perplexed on this and need to order it by this weekend to make sure everything arrives at the same time...

Can someone please help clear this muddle I find myself in. The dealer told me that I will not benefit from teh Classe much because of the 'musical' quality it has and my preference being for HT and very rarely will I listen to music.

What is confirmed so far is:

802D
                    HTM2D + Stand
                    CA-3200

Can go with a CA-5200 but seems too much when I don't have the rears to support it's power...

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

the ssp300 is a surround processor. the ssp600 has the 2 channel pre amp added to the ssp 300 along with balanced connection. I dont see how the ssp300 would be beneficial for music.

I would honestly look into something like the sherwood newcastle p965, or a denon with audessy eq and use it as a preamp over the rotel. either that, or get the 1068, 1057 or whatever the newest flavor is. you dont need the 1098.

Comment

• babar
                        • Jan 2005

ANY IDEA ON THE PRICING OF THE DENON with AUDESSY EQ?

What is wrong with the 1098?

thanks.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

ANY IDEA ON THE PRICING OF THE DENON with AUDESSY EQ?

What is wrong with the 1098?

thanks.
                          There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1098. It lacks HDMI but personally I wouldnt care one little bit. It's without any qualms among the finest HT pre/pros in the market.

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                            There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1098. It lacks HDMI but personally I wouldnt care one little bit. It's without any qualms among the finest HT pre/pros in the market.
                            your paying for the lcd screen on the 1098. how often are you going to really use it?

The 2807 costs 1099$ and the 3806 costs 1299$ from denon, and both with audessy eq.

the other option is go the nuforce route with their avp16. (www.nuforce.com)

Im not rotel bashing, but everyone I know that had the 1098 (Andrew Pratt, Jimmy P, gostan) all switched out of the 1098 for less money and were happier.

Comment

• babar
                              • Jan 2005

The Denon looks nice. However it includes an amplifier. Isn't that a negative for it because of intereference it might generate, lessening the quality of the signal to the CA-3200?

I looked at the top of the line Denon's and can afford buy it, however will the amplifier go to waste if I use the CA-3200 to drive the Nautilus?

I am quite interested in knowing foremorstly if:

1. The Rotel will not the best buy at the price $2k, being a 3 year old model.

2. What among the following should I spend the remaining 3k in store credit on?
                              i. Nevo SL remote? w/h wifi extender?
                              ii. SMC1's
                              iii. 805's
                              iv. DS8
                              iv. BW subwoofer

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

The Denon looks nice. However it includes an amplifier. Isn't that a negative for it because of intereference it might generate, lessening the quality of the signal to the CA-3200?

I looked at the top of the line Denon's and can afford buy it, however will the amplifier go to waste if I use the CA-3200 to drive the Nautilus?

I am quite interested in knowing foremorstly if:

1. The Rotel will not the best buy at the price $2k, being a 3 year old model.

2. What among the following should I spend the remaining 3k in store credit on?
                                i. Nevo SL remote? w/h wifi extender?
                                ii. SMC1's
                                iii. 805's
                                iv. DS8
                                iv. BW subwoofer
                                I have not actually heard the denon, but the audessy eq is an awesome feature, and that seems to be the only place to get it. Audessy is supposed to release an external unit to offer audessy like velodyne does with the sms1.

the other alternative would be to get the rotel 1057. I used the 1055 as a preamp for almost a year with an external amp it I had no problems.

I have 2 pairs of SCM1's and highly recommend them. Id imagine the SCMs are just as good, but you can tilt them, as the wall mount is not fixed.

If you want to get the most out of the classe amp, you would get a classe preamp, as they are designed and tuned together. Otherwise, you are going to get tonal characteristics of whatever preamp you go with.

Comment

• babar
                                  • Jan 2005

Say Rotel everything:
                                  RSP-1098
                                  RB-1092
                                  RMP1095 or 1077
                                  RDV-1092
                                  &
                                  BW 802D
                                  HTM2D
                                  BW 805

The dealer suggests not mixing and matching, either CA-3200 & SSP-300 or the Rotel mentioned above.

I will be using the system for HT 80% of the time. The advantage here is a complete system with surrounds, etc and a DVD player.
                                  It's 1k over but that's with a pre-programmed Nevo.

When I listen to music it's with headphones. The HT room is on the ground floor and my wife and we rarely use that portion of the house. We will move in 2-3 years and want a system to enjoy movies.

This will be my first proper HT and haven't previously had anything as expensive as this. My systems include the minipods with B&K and BW center & sub, B&O basic.

Any thoughts...

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Its been more then 24-48 hours. Place your order already and just enjoy the system.
                                    Why let others decide how your gonna spend the big bucks? Were not gonna be listening to it.
                                    B&W

Comment

• babar
                                      • Jan 2005

I ordered the speakers 802D and HTM2D + Stand. have a little more time to confirm the rest and wanted to run the dealer's comments by on the components.
                                      The advantage is that I wil not have to upgrade or do anything for a while to the system which is nice, + I get a good DVD player as well.
                                      Same time I don't get the classe. Essentially he is saying that because I listen to HT much more I would not be able to see the difference between the 2.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

my last comment on the subject...

With Rotel, you'll never maximize the capabilities of your 802ds.

Comment

• Eliav
                                          • Jul 2005

I think you should choose your electronics based on YOUR ears, not on someone's elses. My own experience with classe and rotel ( I have both) is that for HT rotel are fine, however for two channel, there is no comparison, classe to my ears have much more detail and clear sweet sound, rotel sounds more harsh and metalic and definitely lacks detail.

regards
                                          Eliav
                                          :T Socrat

Comment

• babar
                                            • Jan 2005

Thanks for your help so far. I will likely upgrade from the Rotel after 2 years. I have never purchased a component as expensive as the cheapest I am getting, so imagine everything will sound great- let me know your thoughts on whether this assumption carries much weight. I will be spending $20k on the speakers and that is the long term investment which I won’t change for a while.

I am hesitant because Rotel might not be able to run the system and give a harsh sound as many point out. As I am not used to the great sound produced by the Classe, how much will I be missing with Rotel?

Comment

• Eliav
                                              • Jul 2005

Thanks for your help so far. I will likely upgrade from the Rotel after 2 years. I have never purchased a component as expensive as the cheapest I am getting, so imagine everything will sound great- let me know your thoughts on whether this assumption carries much weight. I will be spending $20k on the speakers and that is the long term investment which I won’t change for a while.

I am hesitant because Rotel might not be able to run the system and give a harsh sound as many point out. As I am not used to the great sound produced by the Classe, how much will I be missing with Rotel?
                                              I guess you will not be missing nothing with rotel, until you actually listen to classe... :W , seriously now, rotel are not bad, they are fine for an entry level , I have had them for a year before upgrading to Classe, though not as refind, the rotel are musical and you will definitely enjoy them. many of us here started at a certain level and took it higher as they could afford. bottom line is that YOU enjoy what you buy be happy with it. "upgraditis bug" will hit you anyhow..... :W
                                              enjoy
                                              Eliav

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

It will, save the aggravation and get classe to begin with.
                                                B&W

Comment

• babar
                                                  • Jan 2005

Thanks for your help. I think that for my needs being HT largely the Rotels will work because the added advantage of having the surrounds (BW805) makign it a complete system along with a DVD player give the Rotels a price preference.

Even if I were to get the Classe, my input would be an ordinary mass market DVD player and for music MP3's from iTunes would be the weak link in my system. Do you agree on this?

I do really like the Classe and was compeltely sold on it. Nevertheless, in buying the Classe, I will have to purchase the surrounds, amp for rear speakers, dvd player in the future which I do not see myself doing for a while as it is not currently my primary indulgence.

Over the next year I still have to buy a projector and screen with either system. Lastly, there is some value to having a completel HT experience which buying the Rotels would give me.

If I do go with Rotels, will the RB-1095 (200w x 5) and RSP 1098 do the job or should I invest in the RB-1090 (375w x 2) in addition to drive the 802D's?

Thanks for your continued help...

Comment

• Eliav
                                                    • Jul 2005

the 1095 can definitelly drive the 802d. the 802d is said to be an easy speaker to drive, that said, the more quality power you put behind it - the better is sings, if Rotel is what you're going with, go with the bigger power amp.
                                                    regards
                                                    Eliav

Comment

• babar
                                                      • Jan 2005

how about the denon AVC-A1XVA or lesser model?

Wondering if it can drive the 802d's and how it compares to the Rotel 1098 / 1095 combo. I like the versatility it offers... (would probably pair with a CA3200) and run surrounds with the denon

Any thoughts on the sounds versus the 1098?

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"