X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

B&W CAD versus USD pricing...

I began thinking about the very remote idea of maybe changing my 703's for 803D's or 802D's. Get the idea, not for this week guys...

At first, I was thinking that the 802D price of 17k$CAD is way out of my league, and the 803D at 11k$CAD is a large stretch. However, I live only a few hours from some US dealers and the prices there are 12k$USD and 8k$USD. The exchange rate is around 14-15%, not 42%, and you guys seem to get better discounts than with my small dealer in our little town. Some seem to get 802D's for around 9k$USD. That means around 10k$CAD before taxes, the price I would have to pay for 803D's...

What should I consider if I was to buy my speakers across the border? How much would it cost me in customs? Why is the difference so big between these prices (USD vs CAD)? I hate this because when I buy mac gear, I get a quote that is the US price multiplied by the exchange rate, period...

What are your thoughts on this matter, mostly now that the exchange rate has been under 20% for a year (while the price remained 40% higher in Canada).

Thank you guys!
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

jim777: Just a couple of notes for you, I brought a used pair of 801's across the border from the U.S., and because they were manufactured in the U.K., I had to pay a certain amount. Although the shipper quoted them at a much lower price, Canada Customs in Calgary told me, if I was to purchase new equipment from the U.S that wasn't manufactured there, I would be paying dearly bringing them into Canada. Just something to watch for Jim. Also if they mark them as a gift, the rates really drop, but a lot of shippers won't do that, as I think they can be fined if they are caught. Most buddies that I know are usually not sending me a new set of 802'd's as a wedding present. Although I would definately accept them, no problems !!

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Ok, from what I found, customs would cost 6.5% - but I guess I would have to call customs to be 100% sure. It might be more because I did not see different rates depending on the country of manufacture. I often get around 6-6.5% customs on stuff I buy on eBay so I wouldn't be surprised if that's it...

BTW I would buy new speakers and I would go get them myself (no "postal" shipping).

Comment

• Sim reality
        • Aug 2005

If you bring them over yourself, it's not bad... Basically GST an duty of 6.5% from what I can tell (I don't think there is a luxury tax on speakers)...

B&W needs to re-align the prices pretty badly... I know they want to keep the prices the same so that owners don't feel ripped off, but this is getting pretty rediculous...

Comment

• Alex999
          • Jun 2006

I just purchased Rotel RMB-1095 + Rotel RSP-1066 from the States (used) for $2100US. I phoned Canada Customs and was told that I'd pay 6.5% + GST. The guy I purchased them from claimed it as gift. I'm going to get them on Thursday this week. I'm a little bit nervous about duties, but hoping it won't be too bad.

Now, I couldn't agree more about canadian prices versa US pricing on Rotel and B&W. It is just silly. e.g. Rotel RSX-1057 retails at $1299US but it is $1999 CAD. If you convert $1299US to CAD it is only $1497. I just refuse to pay those prices. It's not fair. I'd rather purchase used equipment, or go to the states and pick them up there.

It is the same with B&W prices. I'm planning to purchase a pair of 703s in the States.

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Alex, I think that the "gift" thing gives you a limit of $60 free of duty instead of $20. A "sample" or something "repaired under waranty" might give you better chances...

If there is only a 6.5% duty + GST and no provincial tax, I would even be saving 1% in taxes

Anyone else has real experience with this?

BTW Alex, where do you live? I might have 703's for sale some day...
            Last edited by jim777; 18 July 2006, 17:35 Tuesday. Reason: more nfo

Comment

• Alex999
              • Jun 2006

Hey Jim,
              I live in Calgary. I'll let you know how much I paid for duties on Friday. Remind you we don't have PST in AB. I think you'd have to pay PST on top of GST If you have a pair of 703s for sale that would be aewsome. Please let me know.

Cheers,
              Alex

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

Jim, I just sent and recieved my Krell 300 cd to Krell for a tune up, and I had no issues whatsoever with customs. I was a little worried when I first recieved a quote from UPS for $190.00. I then went to Canada Post, and it cost me $98.00 return. Also a whole lot less paperwork then UPS. The unit was not under warranty, but Krell was great and marked it in as repair. I never paid any extra. You have to watch for them charging you again for something that you have already brought through Customs. I have heard of a couple guys being charged again, and it was either pay, or the unit sits until it is. Good luck on your purchase if that is the way you are going. Prices in Calgary for anything high-end is ridiculous. I found Edmonton better to deal with.....dg

Comment

• Sim reality
                  • Aug 2005

I believe if you purchase something from the states you don't need to pay PST... I think this is a quirk that the border is controlled by the federal government and therefore they don't enforce PST unless you are using the merchandise for business (but then you file that when you declare you revenue).

The trick is getting the store you bought then from to not charge you local sales taxes because you are supposed to be tax exempt if it is sold to someone taking the merchandise out of the US...

You should be okay if you are taking the speakers across the border yourself... Where it doesn't pay is if you have to use a customs broker (I still have not figured out how they determine their rates for brokerage but it hurts).

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

I'm near New Hampshire so I would try to find a B&W dealer there. Unless things changed since I left NH, they had no sales taxes. Quite a surprise when I came hear in QC and I always needed to add 9% (at the time, 14% now) to everything we buy!

I liked my trip to Paris where tax (and even "gratuities") where included in sales prices...

Anyway I'll try to get some info from the gvt if I can reach someone..

Comment

• jlr_1304
                      • Aug 2005

You have to pay 14% taxes when it comes thru duties. Yes, PST is always there.

Dont even think of using UPS. They are thieves when it comes to brokerage fees.

Try to call fillion electroniue in Montreal as they have a pair of 802d demo for sale. Ask for Bruno.

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                        Try to call fillion electroniue in Montreal as they have a pair of 802d demo for sale. Ask for Bruno.
                        Is it rosenut? I was thinking of buying new because the color is important for me.

Comment

• Alex999
                          • Jun 2006

You have to pay 14% taxes when it comes thru duties. Yes, PST is always there.

Dont even think of using UPS. They are thieves when it comes to brokerage fees.

Jlr, can you plese elaborate on UPS. I'm affraid because they are shipping my rotels. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when they arrive.

Comment

• jlr_1304
                            • Aug 2005

That's for the quebec province. I dont know about Alberta's taxes. Sometime, it is better to take UPS expedited, as they include brokerage fees in the shipping costs.

Jim777, i think they have a clear natural color. Is rosenut kind of mohogany (burgundy) ?

Comment

• jim777
                              • Mar 2005

Jim777, i think they have a clear natural color. Is rosenut kind of mohogany (burgundy) ?
                              Yep, a kind of reddish-brown.

Check over here, you'll see why I don't want to change color.. (to match my furniture)
                              Hi, One of the most popular threads in Club Rotel is an area where members can post pictures of their Rotel equipment... I thought - why not :banana: join the party in our own club! So let’s use this thread to post pictures of any aspect of your B&W setups that you've all invested so much energy in! Some examples might

Comment

• Alex999
                                • Jun 2006

Jim,
                                Your system looks awesome. I want those 703s badly I'm hopin to find a used pair in good condition. My local dealer wants $4400.00 for them. I don't think so :M

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Alex999
                                  Jim,
                                  Your system looks awesome. I want those 703s badly I'm hopin to find a used pair in good condition. My local dealer wants $4400.00 for them. I don't think so :M
                                  They are worth every penny though... :B

Comment

• jim777
                                    • Mar 2005

I called the canadian customs agency. They told me that importing speakers will cost the normal sales taxes (TPS+TVQ=14%) plus an additionnal 6.5% for those made outside the US (like B&W's made in the UK). That is not as bad as I would have thought..

Services like UPS will charge more because they are doing some of the work at the border for you, but that would not be my case.

So at least now I can better compare prices in the US with those in Canada...

Comment

• Alex999
                                      • Jun 2006

I just wanted to update you on my Rotel RMB-1095 and RSP-1066 that I purchased from the States (used units from Audiogon). All I paid was $67.00 CAD fee. It is awesome. I'm not sure if I was lucky or what. Remind you, my seller declaired it as a gift (I did pay him $2100.00 USD). I hope this helps to all Canadians.

Cheers,
                                      Alex

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"