What Amp with 803 series 2? (Aussie Friendly)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bokusman
    • Jun 2006

What Amp with 803 series 2? (Aussie Friendly)

Hello all
    My 803's need a good amp. I'm told my Electrocompaniet 100 is a bad choice. My pre is a VTL. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any Aussies got clues here? Or some general info would help if anybody knows my amps

Thank you in anticipation
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hmmm. Not a good choice? I bought my 804s after hearing them on the latest Electrocompaniet integrated. The one and only 800 series dealer in Brisbane demos the 804 and two 803 models with this amp. I thought the sound was pretty much spot on. From what I have read the n series (which I assume is series 2, correct me if I wrong) is more detailed sounding due to the crossover and tweeter design. The EC house sound is supposed to be very smooth and an excellent balance to the 800 series character. I loved the fact that it made the 804s not sound like a speaker, the music was just kind of there in the room. I sure you have been told that the Electrocompaniet's Nemo amps were designed specifically for the nautilus series on the request of Abbey Road Studios (gees thats a good sales line, and true apparently)
    It will be about 12 months before I can afford to shop around for an amp to match the talents of my new 804s, but I will be starting with the ECI5 as the benchmark. Bryston, Rotel, Classe and other brands popular with 800 series owners are available in Australia, although I am not aware of a Bryston dealer in Brisbane

I hope that is of some help
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bokusman
      • Jun 2006

Thanks for your info. Yes the 803 did for me what you have described. My amp is an early model and maybe they have improved. I've been out of the high end and haven't kept up since I purchased these in the early 90s therefore cannot comment about other gear, but I must say that this system sounded better in my smaller room in the previous houses. When I moved house, they were never as good. I thought a better amp may put a bit more of what you are talking about back into my system. The vocals used to sound great (that's what hooked me) unless it's my ears rolling off. Incidently, I've been told by a dealer in Melbourne that the 803's had some sort of circuitry to protect the drivers that worked against them. He has offered to "work them". I wonder if this is hype. I generally trust my ears, but I've got nothing to compare. I just can't get the sound that these speakers delivered. My Nakamichi CD player packed it in. Maybe the crappy one I'm using at the moment is inferior. Still love my Vinyl.
      Regards
      David

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

My 804s were the first step for me to focus back on 2 channel sound. I think your comment about the CD player is very true. I have my eye on a Naim or Meridian player, but like the amp it is going to have to wait. I love the high end sound but do not have the budget to match.

I read a review comparing the N804 with the 804s. They mentioned the improvements from the first order crossover employed on the S version vs the more complex arrangement on the old N models. I guess anything in the signal path, such as overload protection, is likely to have some impact on sound. Personally I would be looking at the CD player before modifying the speaker, particularly if you were happy with the sound before. Maybe some room treatment as suggested by others on this forum would be more effective.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Spearmint
          • Sep 2004

Norpus on here uses an Elektra Theatre 7 and is bi-amping his 802D’s with it.
          Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• norpus
            • Oct 2005

Yes I do Spearmint and it has oodles of grunt and detail as you can attest - not that we need that much to drive them to listening levels. Voices sound silky real to me with this combo. A pre with a valve output stage was even better when auditioned recently. Mmm even more finesse to come when the bank balance allows
            I do direct 10-60Hz bass to my sub though , so less taxing for the amp I guess.
            Cheers
            Norpus
            "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
              • Jun 2006

Try the Sunfire amps. I have listen to them on the 703, 804 and 803. This amp will impress.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"