X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scarpi
    • Jul 2008

B&K amp question

I just installed a new B&K Reference 200.5 series two 5 channel amp in my home theater system. The specs state 200 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 375 watts/channel into 4 ohms and current peak to peak of 75 amps. Here is my question. I have this amp plugged into a typical 15 amp living room house circuit. This circuit is shared by the rest of my home theater gear (tv, preamp, and dvd player). I don't have a dedicated line in my living room for the amp. What causes me concern is that B&K states in the owners manual quite clearly "when possible, use a dedicated AC power line for the amp that is not shared by any other household component...This is very important". Will I damage the amp by using it on the same 15 amp line as my other home theater components? It seems to work fine and sound great. The staement in the owners manual has made me kind of nervous and I don't want to damage the amp. My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio 100 version two. I need an expert opinion. I appreciate any info.
    Don in Phoenix
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

As long as you're not tripping the branch circuit breaker you're okay and will not damage anything. Unless you listen at extremely high volume and drive the amp to its limits, a 15A circuit will do (that is provided you have no other equipment with significant current draw operating on that same circuit).

At normal listening levels you will be surprised at how little an amp draws from the power line. Even when musical peaks make sudden demands on the amp, the extra power consumption is momentary and easily handled by a 15A circuit.

Comment

• scarpi
      • Jul 2008

Thanks Glen. I don't usually listen at deafining levels and the 15 amp circuit has never blown. Like I said, the system seems to be working fine, I was just alarmed at how B&K stressed this in their owners manual. As a matter of fact, my amp and other gear is plugged into a Panamax 5510 power conditioner. If you're not familiar with this unit it is one of their best ones. I bought it to match my system and since I live in an area that has occasional brown outs and power outages, I felt I needed to protect my gear. The amp is plugged into the high current outlet and I talked to a tech from Panamax and he stated that my 5510 does not limit any current to the amp. The 5510 has a meter on it that displays the current drawn by all the gear plugged into it and even when all my home theater gear is playing a movie the amp meter on the Panamax shows the system only draws between 3 to at the most 5 amps. Thanks for the reply!
      Don
      Last edited by scarpi; 19 July 2008, 14:58 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"