X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

Upgrade to 800D

I currently have a pair of 802D's. I used them for 2 channel stereo about 75% of the time and 5-channel home theater about 25%. They sit in my hearth room which is about 19 feet wide and 20 feet deep, but open to the kitchen area at the rear. The ceilings are about 10 feet high. Acoustically the room stinks, as there are many windows, glass cabinets, glass fireplace, 50" plasma and a glass tabletop. The floor is tile with a nice rug covering about 80% of it. In other words, the acoustics are horrible, but that's what's there.

My question is this: I can get near full value for my 802's and a pretty good price on the 800's. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade, or do you think it would be a waste of money because the poor acoustics would defeat any increase in sound quality? I'm also concerned about 800D's because their weight could make them difficult to handle.
  • VictorHRS
    • Apr 2005

I wouldn't do it because the acoustics will clearly limit the results you get, probably you will hear very little difference from the 802Ds to the 800Ds...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Stockinv,

It also depends on what you would be using to drive the 800Ds. They are more demanding of their amplifiers than the 802D but are also more rewarding of high quality signals.

When you say your accoustics are bad - do you notice it in the room or are you just saying that becuase you know the room has lots of other things in it etc? Some rooms with a good rug and lots of different surfaces and furniture are surprisingly good accoustically - al the difference surfaces break things up. If you are happy with the sound you have from the 802Ds and have (or can afford) the good amplificaiton needed - IMO the 800Ds will make you even happier - they are world class speakers and you can hear a real steep up for stereo listenning!

Geoff

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        Stockinv,

It also depends on what you would be using to drive the 800Ds. They are more demanding of their amplifiers than the 802D but are also more rewarding of high quality signals.

Geoff
        Interesting one this Geoff,

I also had thoughts of going to 800Ds.

I currently have 802s driven by Bryston 7B SST monoblocks.

I was worried that they would not drive the 800s sufficiently well.

The 802s are rated 50 to 500 watts, but the 800s are rated 50 to 1000 watts.

What is your opinion?

By the way - anyone ever heard of driving an 800D with the minimum rated 50 watts ? ? ?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Caleb
          I currently have 802s driven by Bryston 7B SST monoblocks.

I was worried that they would not drive the 800s sufficiently well.
          The Brystons - with 600W into 8 ohm and 900W into 4 Ohm are exactly the type of high current clean power that the 800D's thrive on... Your new 800Ds will love them... Be a devil!

Geoff

Comment

• caleb
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
            The Brystons - with 600W into 8 ohm and 900W into 4 Ohm are exactly the type of high current clean power that the 800D's thrive on... Your new 800Ds will love them... Be a devil!

Geoff
            Hmmmm - decisions, decisions ! ! !

You have given me the "push" I needed Geoff.

We've had a good year in the business, so bugger it - we're having the 800Ds.

They should be here end June - I'll let you know.

Comment

• Stockinv
              • Jan 2005

Aussie Geoff, I have the McIntosh MC-501's. What do you think about them for the 800's?
              Last edited by Stockinv; 12 June 2006, 18:29 Monday.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

I bought 802Ns and decided to upgrade to 800Ds. I've moved the 802Ns to the rear. The 800Ds are incredible. I didn't go from 802Ds so I am not sure how big a change you will get. For AMPs, I use CAM/350 Monos.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by caleb

So who here is selling their 802's? Anyone in the USA? Please email me as I am interested in picking a pair up.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

• caleb
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                    So who here is selling their 802's? Anyone in the USA? Please email me as I am interested in picking a pair up.

Thanks,

Chris
                    You can have mine if you wish - I an getting R48500 for them (that's about $7000) as a trade in - just match it and come pick them up.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Finally convinced? :roll:
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        Finally convinced? :roll:

YES - between you and Geoff you have just releived me of $15,000.

You dont get commission from B&W do you ? :W

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

YES - between you and Geoff you have just releived me of $15,000.

You dont get commission from B&W do you ? :W
                          LOL, I wish. Then my job would be more entertaining than the one I have now. :lol:

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Gostan and I compared the 800D to the 802d yesterday on a pair of CAM-400 classe's. the general opinion is that they are better, but require a fairly large room to truely get the benefits of them.
                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Dan could you elaborate please? Could you describe the characteristics of room they were both in and how big it was? Were higher volumes (dial settings) needed to produce the same level of musicallity with the 800D's as you discovered with the 802D's? How big of a room would you suspect is necessary? What sort of front end were you using? How much better would you say the 800D's are and in what ways?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                Dan could you elaborate please? Could you describe the characteristics of room they were both in and how big it was?

We used the same system to a/b/c the 803d's, the 802d's and the 800d's.

This is only approxomations of room size, as I am out of town and it is a dealer i've never been to.

I would guess-timate that the room size was approx 25 ft wide by 20 ft deep. The room was setup on different sides to show different systems. It had bass traps, and different krell/b&w speakers lined up along the back wall behind the b&w's as well as a full classe 2 channel system. The opposite wall had brick. the wall to the left had a sliding glass door and the wall to the right had a big plasma and some big krell speakers.

Were higher volumes (dial settings) needed to produce the same level of musicallity with the 800D's as you discovered with the 802D's?How big of a room would you suspect is necessary?

I would say higher volumes on the 800d's were more unlistenable than with the 802d's. you could tell that sound was really bouncing around with the 800d's. I would say that the 800d's could handle a room twice as deep without any problem, while the 802d's filled the room nicely.

I understand that the room relatively untreated; however, same room, same system different speakers. You can really tell how each speaker is designed for a different room size.

I would say that between the 802d's and 800d's, there was the same soundstage level, but the 800d's had a higher level of detail. in contrast, the 803d's did not have the same openness and soundstage that the 802d's had. it was a very noticeable difference.

I didnt do a direct comparison, but I know my N802 system and will speak briefly on my oponion of the N802 vs. the 803d. I believe that the 803d has a greater level of detail, but still lacks the soundstage of the N802. This is where one would say they prefer one over the other. Me, I like the ability my N802's have of embracing me with music that the 803d's just dont do.

anyways, back on topic...

What sort of front end were you using? How much better would you say the 800D's are and in what ways?
                                im not 100% familiar with the classe line, but he said it was a $7k 2 channel preamp so I'd guess it was the CP-700 with the CD-102 and a pair of CAM400's. they used siltech speaker cables and couldnt comment on interconnects.

My opinion of the system is that it was very easy to listen to. I guess that is laid back. It had a very high level of detail in the mid to high end and the bass guitar sounded very nice and never distorted.

My main problem with the system is the lack of bass. the kick drum never sounded quick and present, but was always in the background. this would be a real killer for me on the classe system. Stan and I wondered if it was because of the room, or was the classe sound.

I may go back later in the week and compare the cam400's to the 3200. Im interested in listening to the differences, as the 400's would not work for my front soundstage.

hope that helps.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Here is a pic of the room where we demo'd:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"