X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Old B&w - Dump Or Fix

In the late eighties a best friend and myself both acquired our first B&W speakers.

DM110i.

Mine are still used today for rear duties. (not coping so well)

My friend, on a very tight budget still uses his in a stereo system, which he still loves.

One of his tweeters blew/broke (does not work).

As there are no spare parts, what does one do ?
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

This is a tough call. One which I can't answer. Just to say that my first set of Bee an Dubbs were the DM110i's too (in the pic taken in 1987). Great speakers they were & I still miss them. (Yup, I turfed them out some years ago - and now I wish I had kept them - could've used them for another room).

And idea: Get hold of Paul at Sound & Cinema in Cavendish ... He might know of someone who could re-wire/fix the tweet.
    Attached Files

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

If he decides to dump them, just drop them outside my place please. :lol:

seriously though, surely someone can do a repair or replacement.

I have fixed tweeters myself and I know next to nothing about them.

It may be something simple, in my case it was a broken wire, not sure what it is called exactly, but a quick home soldering job did the trick and they have been working just fine out there on my patio.(not B&W's)

I would talk with a professional speaker repairer and if he cannot fix it he would most likely be able to offer an alternative tweeter that is considered equal or dare I say it, even better than the B&W.

Only problem is you would most likely have to do both tweeters.

Maybe this is a ploy to upgrade by your friend?

Its hard to deny that the newer models do have a good look.

One more thing, I would check the woofer surrounds for perishing, yes rubber perishes too. In which case I would guess its best to dump them at my place. :lol:

Pete

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

coincidentally, I just saw a pair on ebay that did not sell at $230 Australian dollars, I guess that would be about $170 US.

Comment

• drsiebling
          • Jan 2006

I have an old pair of DM110s that suffered a tweeter failure about 6 years ago. A local speaker repair shop was able to scavenge some parts and replace the ferrous fluid that had leaked from the tweeter. All in all, the repair cost me about $20 and the speaker has worked flawlessly since.

So, see if you have a local repair dude who is up to the challenge. You might be surprised.

-Ben

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
            This is a tough call. One which I can't answer. Just to say that my first set of Bee an Dubbs were the DM110i's too (in the pic taken in 1987). Great speakers they were & I still miss them. (Yup, I turfed them out some years ago - and now I wish I had kept them - could've used them for another room).
            Ahhh, another previous DM110i first time B&W owner. I wished I would have kept mine too if for no other reason then nestalgia. Nice picture. Brings back fond memories!

Kobus, have you tried asking the guys at B&W for their advice. Maybe they can give you a few more leads. Many times in the computer industry a product which has seen it's life cycle expire will often subout legacy support to third party providers. Not sure if B&W does the same thing but it might be worth your while to check with them and see.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
              Ahhh, another previous DM110i first time B&W owner. I wished I would have kept mine too if for no other reason then nestalgia. Nice picture. Brings back fond memories!
              You betcha, RebelMan!

I remember living in an apartment block back then and the neighbours banging on the wall for me to quieten down. Yup, great pair of speakers they were.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Any reconing service can put new surrounds on the woofers.

The tweeter, well it depends on what's wrong. If the VC is burned out then it's time for a new dome assembly, if those are available. If not get someone to measure the T/S parameters of one of the good tweeters. Then look around for a replacement unit that has similar T/S parameters (try Vifa and Seas). That way you don't need to redesign and rebuilt the crossovers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"