Help With Zaph's ZA5.3c crossover Assembly. (for a friend)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avddreamr
    • Aug 2005

Help With Zaph's ZA5.3c crossover Assembly. (for a friend)

Original Post below,

Actual correct and tested crossover/speaker hook up diagram .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Za35cfinalXoverHookup.webp
Views:	33
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	943958

Posts below are kept for reference. A big thank you to Zaph on designing a great speaker for those on a budget or new to diy, and to madisound for providing what is a simple kit, once properly hooked up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Post:

I Posted this on madisounds forum, but I figure I would get more of a response here.

I managed to convince my friend to build one of Zaph’s kits from madisound instead of purchasing something from a big box retailer.
    He is unfortunately in NY, where as I am in FL, and has not been able to assemble the crossover with the instructions or lack thereof as provided.
    I am not there, so it is difficult for me to guess exactly how to put it together.I have attached a picture of the crossover as shipped, the schematic from zaphs website, and "instructions" as provided.

I have made the following assumptions.
    The Tweeters terminal with a red dot, should be positive.
    On the Midrange the set of terminal with larger tabs is the positive one.

In the picture, the tweeter network is on the left, and the woofer network is on the right.
    Based on the woofer network if I’m reading the crossover schematic correctly, has two inductors, two caps, and no resistors.

The terminal labeled O in the picture, is the primary power input for the speaker. (Labeled IN+).
    The positive terminals on both woofers should be wired into a single tab to connect at terminal labeled K (marked with +).

The terminal labeled J is the positive input for the tweeter.

Completely not sure about the following
    Is the return for the main power terminal at the point where its labeled M?
    Where is the return for the Tweeters, and woofers, in the area of H and I, or is the return for the woofers N?

I of course maybe wrong on everything, any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Name:	zaphprelimanry.webp
Views:	28
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	943959

Name:	speaker_diagram.webp
Views:	27
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	943960

I've labeled the respective parts on the crossover, although I may have gotten r3 and R4 in mixed up.

P.S. I haven't put a speaker together in about 7 years, and honestly the kit I got from madisound (thor), was basically plug and play, except for the stuffing of the TL.

I'm assuming that to wire this properly, and again this is only by the pictures he sent me,
    There are 6 connections:
    P(power), (T) Tweeter, (W) Woofer/Midrange.
    P+ is Input Labeled O
    P - is unknown (M?)
    T+ is J
    T - unknown ( G or H ?)
    W+ is K
    W- is unknown

This is assuming of course that the red wire on the back goes from L9 to C8

How I wish I had it in my hands, and I would figure it out. However, there are 6 needed connections, but 9 available plugs from the picture.
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:41 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • avddreamr
    • Aug 2005

Ok sorry for the noobish post, I'm pretty sure I figured it out, the crossover is different from the one that is on the instructions, and I'm not physically there to see it. My friend pointed out that some tabs, weren't tabs at all, once you removed those two out of the equation, you are only left with on extra tab, which is probably an additional grounding point.

Name:	Za35cfinalXoverHookup.webp
Views:	34
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	943961

I'm pretty sure that's correct, and have instructed my friend as such.
    Let me know if I'm wrong. This is of course assuming that large tabs on the woofer are +, and the tweeter is labeled correctly.

Thanks, and I hope this helps someone.

Or should I switch W-, and P-, I figure that that since it's all ground it shouldn't matter, but I could be wrong. My friend hooked it up this morning according to some help he received on the madisound board, and it's currently not making any noise, so something is up. I'll update if this seems to work.

And Yes I feel like a complete noob.
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:42 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• oneplustwo
      • Jan 2010

Large tabs are typically + although you can use the 9V battery method to test to make sure. Red mark on the tweeter also should indicate red.

Once he figures out the primary issue and gets sound, then switching the polarity should be an easy thing to try if something sounds wrong. Might get some funky cancellation or otherwise "far away" sounding behavior.
      Zaph SR-71
      Zaph ZDT 3.5
      Sunflower Redux
      12" Dayton HF sub
      CJD RS 150 MT
      Revelator bookshelf
      2x12 Guitar cab
      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• avddreamr
        • Aug 2005

oneplustwo: Wow, you've built some nice designs... I'm definitely going to look at your webpage.

I sent him the diagram above, he has sound... and he's using it in mT mode.. just to test the drivers, but even in that state he's impressed.
        He says he can hear some static/noise coming out of the tweeter. I'll see if that remains once he has everything playing, it could be that his receiver pioneer vsx-1020k is just above the noise floor. Not sure.

Comment

• oneplustwo
          • Jan 2010

Thanks... my builds are amateur hour compared to the real talent around here. It is fun though!

Static doesn't sound good... doubt it's noise from the amp. I would guess it's a bad/cold solder joint. Wouldn't be a bad idea to reflow the joints.

Good luck!
          Zaph SR-71
          Zaph ZDT 3.5
          Sunflower Redux
          12" Dayton HF sub
          CJD RS 150 MT
          Revelator bookshelf
          2x12 Guitar cab
          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• avddreamr
            • Aug 2005

Ok guys, the above crossover is correct, so use this as a guide.
            The static in the tweeter ended up being a noise floor issue with his source (ipod) and amplification (pioneer & teac receivers). Basically, the ipod could not properly drive the input on either, and he had to turn the volume up beyond the noise floor of either system. He's quite satisfied, I'll post pics of his setup once he sends them to me.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"