Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Dayton WTMW center channel as LCR revisited 10yrs later

So, i've moved twice in the last ten years, had to store my stuff (HT gear), and im finally getting back to rebuilding a new room in a new house, with a lovely new spouse. It will be 13'x19'x vaulted ceiling.

I built some HUGE bass traps called super chunks, they are 2'x2'x108", i build three, for the three corners of the room, fourth corner has a door.

I just setup the subs with very good bass decay plots, and a very flat FR, i positioned my LCR and the other four surrounds and started listening and making sure everything was at least turning on, no buzzing, i fixed that, no humming, i fixed that, plenty of power (4 dedicated 12/2 20a breakers).

My LCR are the WTMW center channel speakers, from the mission accomplished thread section. All Dayton drivers, CurtCampbells XO, nothing changed, other than replacing all the damaged drivers from the hands of an Ex Spouse ( Yikes !!!)

Sooooooooo, ten years later and these three main WTMW still sound so good! They image so well, they are as musical as could be, an upright bass sounds so much like an upright bass should, i do XO at 80hz, so some of the bass is reproduced from my sealed subs, but TEN years later and they sound GREAT! I threw in BR Oblivian, which is an OK movie with really cool effects. At -10MV on my Denon the soundtrack was sultry, smooth, and lacked nothing in my opinion, the punch from the mains was unstoppable ( i watched that movie too ). Im still driving them with Outlaw Audio M-200 mono's (4ohms) 300 watts each......i use 7 mono's...

All i can say is this design is still state of the Art. To use three center channel speakers still translates the soundtrack perfect. If you were thinking about a build, dont hesitate !!!!!!

Thank you HT Guide !!!!!!

KG Peace!!!!
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • scottvalentin
    • May 2015

I actually read your thread not too long ago - I just randomly selected show posts from all time and hit like page 60 or something. I have a mild-but-worsening obsession with speakers...well mild might be an understatement...

I really liked the finish on your speakers and the DIY diffusor panels that you did in your room. You also did the RS225-RS28 two ways as surrounds if I recall - is that right? Mark K's design is no longer accessible, but was curious on the 8" two way after reading about Dan (P or N) on TechTalk's Boxer speakers with waveguide. Which got me reading about the Modula XT, and that moved on nicely to SDL2112's SSG project that is nearing completion. Anyways - great to know you still get all that satisfaction out of your project!

Comment

• chrisn
      • Sep 2007

Any pictures of the new room?

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by scottvalentin
        I actually read your thread not too long ago - I just randomly selected show posts from all time and hit like page 60 or something. I have a mild-but-worsening obsession with speakers...well mild might be an understatement...

I really liked the finish on your speakers and the DIY diffusor panels that you did in your room. You also did the RS225-RS28 two ways as surrounds if I recall - is that right? Mark K's design is no longer accessible, but was curious on the 8" two way after reading about Dan (P or N) on TechTalk's Boxer speakers with waveguide. Which got me reading about the Modula XT, and that moved on nicely to SDL2112's SSG project that is nearing completion. Anyways - great to know you still get all that satisfaction out of your project!
        Yes, during my hiatus from HT, i had a chance to put together a twoway sub system for pandora and i pod music. Much to my suprise, the 225/28 was an impressive speaker. I did have to use a sub because i use them onwall and cut out a bunch of cabinet space. I think they have a natural 65hz rolloff, but that damn tweeter is so darn good, i can listen for hours without fatigue. I suggested to a friend to build seven for a complete 7.0 til he got a sub, he did and i lost touch with him, but remember listening to some soundtracks before he moved away. I found that system with all the same tweeters and woofers to be cohesive, literally better than mine as to imaging and steering, sounds flowed with no change from speaker to speaker...........i believe he was using a Denon 3808ci, real nice capable reciever, like i use to have.

It is nice to move all my old gear and it lights up the room, hopefully be finished by spring of next year

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

It pretty rough, but I'm getting there

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_59.webp
Views:	91
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	944591
          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:56 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Has it been 10 years? I remember when you were building them like it was a month ago.

Looks like you're prioritizing sound quality over the video side. :lol:

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Name:	image_54.webp
Views:	90
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	944592

Here's the decay plot, all under 500 m/s....... It'll change once the room is sealed up and contained

Name:	image_53.webp
Views:	85
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	944593

This is an un-smoothed response from the LP. It wasn't until i moved two subs to one side and two subs to the other side, that the response really came together. I had all four front and center, which was a nightmare. Amazing what positioning can do

I had budgeted money for new mains, i was going to do an SEOS15/DNA360-JBL2666H, not now :0)........ Maybe some other time
              Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:57 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BobEllis
                Has it been 10 years? I remember when you were building them like it was a month ago.
                No Doubt!

KG,
                Good to see you back!
                While not my design, it is a close cousin to some that CJD and I did, and it feels great to hear that they are still holding up well for you.

... You should build the Seos15/DNA360-JBL2666H ! I've been tempted by these and others myself. Would love to hear some real world feedback.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                  No Doubt!

KG,
                  Good to see you back!
                  While not my design, it is a close cousin to some that CJD and I did, and it feels great to hear that they are still holding up well for you.

... You should build the Seos15/DNA360-JBL2666H ! I've been tempted by these and others myself. Would love to hear some real world feedback.
                  My only fear is fatique, my old ears get tired easy Lol. I have to stay on track and look at the big picture, which as you know, is not easy, i get distracted very very easily.

Im designing and building a barndoor, which is now 8" deep, like a rolling fortrice. Cant wait to be done talking about the damn door and just get it done, i have a million pencil drawings, my kitchen table looks like a crazy man took over, a Beautiful Mind Lol........

Yeah, 10 freakin years ago !!!!

Comment

• kgveteran
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chrisn
                    That is such a solid design ! They would make any music lover very very happy, add a sub ( with discretion ) and happier yet.....

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

great stuff, David!

every once in a while, even i, the supreme curmudgeon, enjoys a happy ending! 8)
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
                        • Oct 2005

Cant wait to hear some analog, i wanna build a nice stand for a turntable too.... I miss vinyl

Not sure how it stacks up now, but i had a Denon DP62L with a Shure V15 cart. That was 1986, its been awhile. They fetch $6-$700 on ebay, i sold mine for $125 :0(

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

yep.....the old direct drive Denon was a top notch table in its day.
                          as can be verified by its current used market price.

so Dave, do you have a TT now, or are you still searching/deciding?

Image not available
                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:58 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
                            • Oct 2005

My room is still midway through renovations, !!!!! Thats my old Table !!!!! Awwwwwww.

I also had a Thorens TD-165 belt drive beauty with a Grado cart. So, to answer your question, i will have one, but not yet. I love used gear, what would you suggest ?

I've been listening to music in my room with digital sources and can just imagine a nice analog frontend. My two Go-To albums are Beck/Morning Phase and RayLaMontagne Ouroboros, then NottingHillbillies..........

Comment

• BobEllis
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Odd coincidence, I had the same two turntables and the Shure V15, too. Had an Ortofon MC20 until the ex dusted the table and destroyed it. A year or so later she did the same with the V15. One of many faults. I still have the Denon, maybe I'll pull it out this fall and get a decent cartridge.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                Odd coincidence, I had the same two turntables and the Shure V15, too. Had an Ortofon MC20 until the ex dusted the table and destroyed it. A year or so later she did the same with the V15. One of many faults. I still have the Denon, maybe I'll pull it out this fall and get a decent cartridge.
                                Ouch ...... my lovely wife leaves the dusting of my stereo up to me ...... works out well for all concerned that way.
                                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• kgveteran
                                  • Oct 2005

My guess is once im ready i'll repost on this topic and see whats for sale at that time. I never had an issue with direct drive tables, never heard a diff between the two tables, time will tell

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

imho, one of the best places for used tt's is Audio Asylum Trader

afa belt vs direct vs rim drive.........

the debate is, still to this day, as volitile as the one between 'analog' & 'digital' source......
                                    (some things never change)

it all bassically comes down what 'you' like, & that is all that really matters.
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
                                      • Oct 2005

Wow, last post 2016, 6yrs later, still rocking! But, im itching for a project, any chance i can get to where jon marsh made a xo for my WTMW’s
                                      im not sure where it would be here

Comment

• 1Michael
                                        • Sep 2006

@kgveteran
                                        Try here https://www.htguide.com/forum/forum/...ter-tmww-mains
                                        Last edited by 1Michael; 27 December 2022, 07:34 Tuesday.
                                        Michael
                                        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"