X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smjc99
    • Mar 2006

B&w Nautilus and Others

Listened to 803 d's and 802 D's and liked the 802's. I am no audiophile but for me acoustic memory is short and when I listened to Thiel CS2.4, I liked them too. I know the price range is different but I guess 802 and 803 d's will sound better with more music than Thiel CS 2.4. Does anyone feel Thiels are good too or is it just me. I am confused about spkr selection when I have to make a final decision about 803D/802 D and get more confused when I listen to more brands like Thiel, JM labs etc
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

Get over the B&W factor. They are great speakers, but Thiel's are too. Listen to your ears. Equipment, room size, speakers and acoustics all come into play.
    Jay

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI 99,
      Thiel and I have a troubled relationship. Technically they interest me. The company has made advances in driver design and instrumentation. Their crossovers are some of the most complex in the industry. The cabinets feel and sound like they are made from solid marble. They try very hard to build a great speaker. Some folks think they do.

So why do I not like Thiel? It's hard to put my finger on. I really don't know. Somehow they sound sterile and lack a personality. Also, I think their sonic personality, such as it is, favors the upper midrange and treble. Audiophiles may say that I just don't like the accurate sound that Thiel's provide. Maybe so. Perhaps my not liking Theil means that my personal quest for the finest sound is all BS. Maybe so. But even if those things are true it makes no difference. I still feel very ambivalent towards the Theil sound. So be it!!

Sparky

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Karma
        So why do I not like Thiel? It's hard to put my finger on. I really don't know. Somehow they sound sterile and lack a personality. Also, I think their sonic personality, such as it is, favors the upper midrange and treble. Audiophiles may say that I just don't like the accurate sound that Thiel's provide. Maybe so. Perhaps my not liking Theil means that my personal quest for the finest sound is all BS. Maybe so. But even if those things are true it makes no difference. I still feel very ambivalent towards the Theil sound. So be it!!

Sparky
        I agree with your explanation of the "Thiel" sound. I had a pair of 2.3s in college and really like them - fed with a Sonic Frontiers SFCD1 through a Line 2 and powered by an ARC D130.

When I graduated, I bought N802s in my main system and moved the 2.3s to the bedroom (before) I sold them. The B&Ws are much more laid back, the Thiels tend to "favor the upper midrange and treble" like you said. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, it just depends on your tastes.

Trust your ears and get what sounds best to you, don't worry about the brand name - both are great speakers.
        Danish

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

I really enjoyed the Thiel's I listened to, and really do believe they are very accurate. Unfortunately, they are very power hungry AND very particular about room placement and listener placement. If you miss the sweet spot, you'll not be getting all they have to offer. And that is why I did not choose them. I wanted a more flexable speaker, not one that just sounds great in the best position. B&W's are far more flexable.

Comment

• smjc99
            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the replies. i am going to audition once more to see if it is worth ggoin to 802D instead of getting much cheaper Thiels cs 2.4 . I am no audiophile but I am tryin to assess the extra performance I will get when I chose 802D's over Thiel CS 2.4

Thiels clarity is amazing and when i adution again the 802d's I wanna see if the clarity is better , may be I am not very good at figuring out the deffernces but I will try

Any suggestions on what sound qualities to look for in Thiel 2.4 and 802D

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

I didn't audition the B&W 802D's, but did the 803S's vs the Aerials (which I think are comparable to the Thiel's). Best way I can describe it is to give someone else's opinion. She said the B&W's made the music sound like it was coming from an amazing music hall. The Aerial's made the music sound like it was being perfomed live, right in front of you. I found the Aerial's to be more 'nautural', but that was vs the 803S.

Let us know what you think. Also, make sure you have a good 200 wpc amp on those Thiel's.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"