slightly OT: can SMPS chips have a personality, let alone two?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

slightly OT: can SMPS chips have a personality, let alone two?

I have long suspected some electronics to have a mind of their own, especially other people's hifi components that I fix occasionally, or my own amp and DAC designs. They will usually start to misbehave only after I have put the last screw of the lid back on.

But this morning, I nearly had a fit when opening my emails.

From a National Semiconductor product update:

Multiple-Output Switching Regulators, featuring the LM5115
    "Dual Personality Controller"

8O
    Last edited by capslock; 13 May 2005, 04:38 Friday.
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Gives a new meaning to Moore's law (shrinking components), doesn't it?

I wonder if a SMPS shrink makes good money...

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by capslock
      I wonder if a SMPS shrink makes good money...
      All hail Susan Calvin.

I took a look at that e-mail and promptly realized it was *way* over my head. I couldn't even make out the contrails.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yeah, this is a part with a secondary side synchronous buck controller designed to work off the pulse waveform from the primary regulated output, and by controlling the duty cycle on the control (high side) FET in the buck regulator, regulate another output indepedent of the primary output, while still maintaining high efficiency (unlike what a linear regulator would do), and hopefull with a more compact and faster regulated solution than an older mag amp regulator would provide.

Uh, BTW, this IS my day job kind of stuff, in case you're curious- semiconductor solutions for switch mode power supplies. But I think Eric knows that...

They have some nice control IC designers over at National, and there's a couple of parts of their's I've been playing with, such as designed for current fed push-pull or current fed buck converters.

It's a dual personality part because it's capable of operating as a secondary output post regulator, synchronized to the primary regulator, OR as a standalone buck regulator. Buck PWM converters are step down voltage regulators with out galvanic isolation. They're used in DC/DC conversion applications where the regulated voltage is somewhere in the range of 2:1 to 10:1 step down from the source voltage. Motherboard CPU power supplies are multiple phase buck regulators... there's at least one in every PC. Some of the cool motherboards, like my favorite Gigabyte models, use two 3 phase regulators in parallel to make a high performance six phase regulator for an AMD64 processor.

Hmmm, this is kind of like "Zorro Unmasked", I guess, as you've now discovered my Clark Kent normal identity....

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"