X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

htm4 or htm7 for 703?

hi all,

i have been following the threads on the group and have noted that the htm7 is not the perfect perfect match that b&w would have us believe for the 703's

i have a friend that is currently in the market for 703's but cannot afford the htm3's. should he buy a htm4 or stick with the htm7? are there any limitations of the 3's over the 7 if he went that way?

thanks,

julie
    Last edited by alpina; 19 March 2006, 08:04 Sunday.
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Eh, personally, if HT is a 50% or better priority, I'd match the front 3 speakers as close as possible. In his case, I'd even consider going with 704's and the htm7. Otherwise, I'd honestly suggest the 805's and htm4s. If money is the problem, I'd plan for an upgrade and go with just 804's now, and add the htm3s later.

If stereo is 50% or more, I'd VERY much lean toward getting the best from 2-ch speakers he can and just add a center/surrounds later. Good 2-ch can be very rewarding. The shortcomings are VERY forgiveable in HT too.

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

thanks grit,

yes, system will be predominantly HT

any more comments? guess he can afford the htm4 and wonders if he should go that way rather than the htm7?

cheers,

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I don't see the advantage of going for the Htm4. The "problem" with the HTM7 is that it lacks the FST midrange. I guess B&W figured that your average 700 series customer would not want to spend the money for a proper match with the 703 drivers.

In terms of getting a seamless front sound stage 805 Htm4 has to be the way to go, and its a few hundred bucks cheaper as well which could go towards the bigger 750 sub.
        Last edited by Briz vegas; 21 March 2006, 05:35 Tuesday.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

center

Hy,

I have 703 with the HTM7, (cdm 7NT rear).
          The HTM4s a good product but for the price is the "same" at the HTM7"
          for the 703 ist the HTM7 very good contructed, HTM4s don't have FST (same
          the HTM7) an i think is really better for 7 serie's.
          With the rest rmoney the you kann buy good kabel or ?

Bey,
          Omar

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by alpina
            hi all,

i have been following the threads on the group and have noted that the htm7 is not the perfect perfect match that b&w would have us believe for the 703's

i have a friend that is currently in the market for 703's but cannot afford the htm3's. should he buy a htm4 or stick with the htm7? are there any limitations of the 3's over the 7 if he went that way?

thanks,

julie
            I gotta say that I'm quite disappointed with the HTM7 with my 703s - I find it most noticable wit action movies and Music DVDs. It's just missing something - the FST driver, I suppose. I don't know if this is the correct thing to do or not, but I find it performs a bit better when it's speaker size is set to small on the reciever.

It's probably a better match for the 704. I'm going to evaluate the HTM4 someday soon, even tho' that speaker is also missing the FST driver, I'll try it out anyway. The HTM3 is probably overkill for the 703s but it theoreticly could be the best match, although the price is probably too high.

In hindsight, I would not have bought the HTM7, but it was part and parcel of the package deal I got at the time and if never dawned on me to go with the HTM4 :roll: Note : I'm also using the ASW750 sub and the DS7s in my HT setup.
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
              In terms of getting a seamless front sound stage 805 Htm3 has to be the way to go, and its a few hundred bucks cheaper as well which could go towards the bigger 750 sub.
              Reason for looking at the 703 over the 805 is once you add the stand to the 805s they are almost identically priced. also, once on the stand, you basically have a bookshelf that takes up floorstanding mass.

regards,

julie

Comment

• Ryx
                • Oct 2005

In my opinion a used Nautilus HTM1 would likely be your best bet for a center channel to pair with the 703s, posably a dealer demo if there are any left around. The N HTM1 uses paper/kevlar woofers, fst mid, and aluminum tweeter just like the 703s do. I think the only thing you could use that would match better then the N HTM1 would be another 703!

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alpina
                  Reason for looking at the 703 over the 805 is once you add the stand to the 805s they are almost identically priced. also, once on the stand, you basically have a bookshelf that takes up floorstanding mass.

regards,

julie

Good point, and you need very good electronics to get the best out of the 800 series (although similar could be said of 703). Room size also comes into the equation. The 703 will push more air and may be a better option in a large room. I would still compare the 805 v 703 options before buying, particularly if they are in the same shop. Sometimes preconceptions about sound can be challenged. I should admit that I have always owned standmounts. Maybe next time I will buy towers..........but nothing less than 804s. .......(hey that kinda rhymes)
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"