X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsiebling
    • Jan 2006

B&W MPA-1 Monoblocks

Despite the fact that this is a forum for B&W speakers, I thought I would check to see if any of you have any experience with the B&W MPA-1 Monoblock amps. There is scarcely any information on the net regarding these beasts, but they did seem to get a favorable review from Stereophile. I believe they are rated class B.

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of these at a very reasonable price. They would initially be powering a pair of B&W 602s3 speakers until I am able to upgrade to the 805s. This is a 5.1 system that I will also be using for 2 channel stereo. My current setup uses Rotel equipment. Is this too much amp for the speakers involved? Or is it old and outdated technology? Did B&W actually produce these amps, or were they manufactured by another company with a B&W logo slapped on? What are the advantages and disadvantages of such a setup?

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's help!
  • Ryx
    • Oct 2005

I have had intrest in those amps myself. I have noticed that the B&W MPA-1 amps look exacly like the rotel RMB-100 amps. I would not be surprised if they were one in the same, just with different lettering on them. Maybe one of the forum members here will be able to verify this.

If they are one in the same, here is some information on the RMB-100,

I hope this may help you find the info you are looking for.

Comment

• drsiebling
      • Jan 2006

Very interesting... think these bad boys are worth $700 for the pair?

Comment

• Ryx
        • Oct 2005

unfortunetly I have never had the chance to audition these amps so I can't say if they would be worth the $700 or not. On paper it would seem that they would be a capable pair of amps, but we all know that whats on paper only tells us so much.

I was really hoping that someone who may own a set of these amps would have poped in and gave there 2cents, but it seems these units really are quite rare. sorry I couldn't have helped you out more.

has anyone on here heard a pair of these amps before? (or the RMB 100 as I am fairly certain it is the same amp)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Those have been for sale for $700 for quite some time, thought about it myself, but figured my money was better off being spent elsewhere.
          Im sure their decent amps though!
          B&W

Comment

• bagmanindy
            • Aug 2007

I have a pair of these. Thinking of getting rid of them if anyone is interested: bagman46234@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"