X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ruben1
    • Feb 2006

Any B&W Speaker You Would Not Recomend

I have posted several times as a newcomer to B&W speaker trying to determine some facts about this brand. So let me now ask this; is there a model made within the last 10-15 years that for one reason or another you would not recommend a particular model either because it was just not designed well, not manufactured well, etc. or the particular model is generally viewed by the B&W connoisseurs as just not the best effort from B&W and as such you stay away from the line. Your help is appreciated in norowing down the speaker. I am mainly looking for floor standing for music listening. Thanks.
  • Ultrasonic
    • Feb 2006

B&Ws make fine speakers, but then i think you'll find most people will say the same on this forum...

They haven't really made crap speakers but there are some that are less special than others. I have owned many different speakers from different brands in the past, mission, tannoy, focal jm lab etc and am now on my 2nd pair of B&W's.

The ones that didn't really do it for me were:

DM 602 s3 (treble got harsh and bright quite easily) but plenty of authority for a standmount though they were quite huge 8O

Cdm 7NT ( Bass was neither as deep as it should have been and lacked the agility of the Cdm 1NTs The 1 and 9nt's are the pic of the range)

CM1 I found the 601 s3 outperformed these with a less strile sound but they didn't look quite as nice....

Cheers
    Ultra

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I don't think B&W has gotten where they are by letting any inferior products hit the marketplace. That said, I DO think there are other companies that have models that compete favorably at the various price points.

I particularly did not like the original N804 model. I felt that for the money, there were plenty of other speakers out there that sounded better. At the time, I ended up purchasing some Martin Logans but later came back and bought N802s, each descision was based on my budget at the time and auditioning.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer to this question is supposed to accomplish. Are you just making sure no one picks the speaker you already like as one they don't?
      Danish

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

The Leisure Monitor Series are kind of poopy I think.

The FPM Series looks nice, but they sound kind of flat.

The 800 Diamonds suck for the money. You can get other stuff for half the price that sounds just as good.

:twisted:

Comment

• Ruben1
          • Feb 2006

Thank you for the answers. Please keep them coming.
          To answer your question Dyazdani, I don't have a particular speaker in mind. I have always heard that B&W are a great brand and now that I am seriously getting into audio want to purchase a set of floor speakers dedicated just for music listening (I have a whole separate home theater with other equipment). I can afford many of the used speakers which show up in ebay, audiogon, etc but since these are typically older models I can't just go to a store and audition them so I am looking for "expert" opinion form users of these speakers in an effor to norow down the field by discarding the speakers from B&W that are generally accepted by many as poor efforts by B&W.
          Thanks.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ruben1
            Thank you for the answers. Please keep them coming.
            To answer your question Dyazdani, I don't have a particular speaker in mind. I have always heard that B&W are a great brand and now that I am seriously getting into audio want to purchase a set of floor speakers dedicated just for music listening (I have a whole separate home theater with other equipment). I can afford many of the used speakers which show up in ebay, audiogon, etc but since these are typically older models I can't just go to a store and audition them so I am looking for "expert" opinion form users of these speakers in an effor to norow down the field by discarding the speakers from B&W that are generally accepted by many as poor efforts by B&W.
            Thanks.
            OK, that makes better sense to me now... :T
            Danish

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

This is a horrible way to buy speakers.

Basically what you are resigning yourself to is letting us pick your speakers for you, regardless of what you might think actually sounds good or bad. Then again, some cultures have arranged marriages.

"I heard B&W is a great brand" is just as bad as "I heard Bose makes the best speakers" because it is based on ignorance.

Don't settle on B&W or any other speaker or brand until you are informed. Although certain people might like B&W, and they are popular and well-reviewed, you have no idea if you like them or not. Get to a dealer and bring your own CDs with you. Listen to systems above, below, and at your price range and try several brands. Find what you like. Decide if it is worth your money. It's not worth it to buy a speaker that you have never heard. Stop relying on the internet to make your decisions for you. I can't tell if you are lazy or just don't care.

Sorry if this sounds mean. Just trying to help.

Comment

• JimTW
                • Apr 2005

Aphexist,

I think Ruben's question is more like "I want to buy a Mercedes, but is there
                a model and model year of the CLK that I should avoid due to problems and
                production recalls?" Something like that.

Ruben,

I'm with Aphexist though, I think you should listen to a range of B&W speakers
                and decide what sounds the best to you, and then go from there until you are
                satisfied with the price you pay for what you hear.

Good luck!

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
                  The Leisure Monitor Series are kind of poopy I think.

The FPM Series looks nice, but they sound kind of flat.

The 800 Diamonds suck for the money. You can get other stuff for half the price that sounds just as good.

:twisted:
                  I beg ya differ on the FPM series. Properly powered and coupled with the right sub they sound amazing. I have done quite a few AB comparisons with other wall mounts and non wall mounts and they perform very well.

Comment

• Ruben1
                    • Feb 2006

Well, to answer Aphexis, I am neither lazy nor do I not care. If I did not I would not be posting here trying to get educated. I am not taking it personally and yes, I will audition whichever model/series speaker I descide on prior to purchasing but I think you missed my entire point. To compare this with cars Renault makes great cars but if you know anything about the Alliance you know that this was a piece of crap you would not reccomend your enemies let alone someone whom is seeking your advise.
                    So what I was looking for is to simply know if B&W made any product in the last 10-15 years that is generally accepted by those who know the brand as a poor product not worth pursuing.This is all I need to know.. Again, thanks for the replies. They are helpfull.

Comment

• aphexist
                      • Jan 2004

Perhaps you can outline some of your specifications and we can be more pro-active about finding you a good match. For example:

1) What electronics and speakers do you have now, if anything?
                      2) What is your listening room like? Dimensions? Much Furniture? Carpeting?
                      3) Is this for home theater or stereo only?
                      4) Do you want floor-standers or stand-mounted speakers?
                      5) What is your budget?
                      6) What kind of music do you listen to? For home theater, what kind of movies do you enjoy?
                      7) Do you plan on getting a subwoofer?

Comment

• Ruben1
                        • Feb 2006

[QUOTE=aphexist]Perhaps you can outline some of your specifications and we can be more pro-active about finding you a good match. For example:

1) What electronics and speakers do you have now, if anything?
                        I currently have Klipsh Synergy 5.1 system (2 floor towers, center channel, 2 surround speakers, and a 150w RMS subwoofer. Electronics is a Denon 3806, DVD player is Pioneer Elite 45A. This equipment is used/will be used for movies only.

2) What is your listening room like? Dimensions? Much Furniture? Carpeting?
                        I have a dedicated home theater room with 65" rear projection wide screen TV, couch, love seat, 3 large posters on the wall, and drapes. The room is 12.5 X 12.5 feet and it is carpeted.

3) Is this for home theater or stereo only?
                        What I am seeking advise for is for the purchase of a dedicated 2 channel music listening only system. The above mentioned equipment will be used only for watching movies.

4) Do you want floor-standers or stand-mounted speakers?
                        floor standing towers are preffered.

5) What is your budget?
                        for speakers up to $2000 and used is perfectly acceptable

6) What kind of music do you listen to? For home theater, what kind of movies do you enjoy?
                        Led Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and of course Black Sabbath

7) Do you plan on getting a subwoofer?
                        Yes. I plan on getting a separate one to hook up to the stereo system.

Thank you for your advise.

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

Hey Ruben,

To answer your question: no, B&W has never had a poor quality product, to the best of my knowledge.

As for what'll work for you? Just something to consider: you can't skimp on subwoofer for music. I always thought the sub could be a less expensive part. I partnered my 703's ($3000) with a $500 Velodyne sub, and OH BOY, did it sound like CRAP. The matching B&W ASW700 sub, OTOH, sounds beautiful. What I really found out was that I'd rather have a better amplifier and run music in 2-ch bypass mode. I found that I prefer the bass when it's coming from the loud speakers. You're mileage may vary, of course.

So, when you're looking/testing, try considering your budget with a sub and without a sub (and putting that extra money into a better amp). Always worth a try, just to see.

Good luck, and let us know what ya end up with.

BTW - Those 703's used might be a bit high for your budget, but they are a great speaker. Totally different class than the 704's.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"