X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

room that's wider than long?

question: would a room that's 5 meters wide by 4 meters long (2.8 meters high) work ok in respect to sound quality (standing waves and stuff)? The reason I need the width to be 5 meters is a 3 meter wide screen I want for watching movies.
    A square room of 5 meters wide and long is to be avoided?

The reason I ask this is I'm making plans for a new house, but a dedicated HT/music room of 6 by 5 will make the house pretty big, and bigger means more expensive, so I'm considering all options.

PS: speakers are N802 and HTM-1 (and 6 series for surround)
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

How much 2ch listening do you plan on doing? The room dimensions aren't too bad, but you may have other issues (non-audio).

What kind of seating and placement do you anticipate? Seems like 4m is a bit short for that screen size. You might have issues with the "screen door effect" depending on which equipment you buy, even seated against the rear wall. If you want two rows of seating, there will likely be big problems.

Can you look at any set-ups with your screen size and projector type and see how it looks from say 3.5m or so?
    Danish

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      Without knowing more of the details I can't offer much advise. One thing is for sure true. Bass will be a problem as it is in any relatively small room. With care and proper room treatment you can get adequate results. But the bass will always suffer. Most of us can not provide a room big enough for powerful, low bass. It's not just your situation. You belong to a large club wishing for a bigger space. Still, your system can can be very satisfying despite the limitations of your room.

Sparky

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Avoid a square room at all costs. The 2.8x4x5 ratio looks good.

My room is alot wider than long at it's ok for sound. The back wall can be to close (back sound reflection) and I'm also too close for a 100" projection.

But if you can put something to kill rear reflections and you have a good display, things should be just fine

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jim777
          Avoid a square room at all costs. The 2.8x4x5 ratio looks good.

But if you can put something to kill rear reflections and you have a good display, things should be just fine
          Yes, sorry I forgot to finish my comment on acoustics. The ratio of dimensions should be OK. Given the width of your screen, if you plan to place your 802s on either side, you might have an issue with the center image on 2ch listening.

Other than that, like the other posts said, some room treatments - especially on the back wall will get you in good shape.
          Danish

Comment

• aphexist
            • Jan 2004

Why did you post this in the B&W forum? You'd get better responses if you asked a larger audience than the fanboys here. I would try the "Spaced Out" forum.

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
              Why did you post this in the B&W forum? You'd get better responses if you asked a larger audience than the fanboys here. I would try the "Spaced Out" forum.
              I'm a proud fanboy of B&W! 8)

Comment

• tmt
                • Jan 2005

oops, you're right aphexist ops: , I intended to post this in the "Spaced Out" section, but it has become a habbit to post in the B&W forum

anyway, I'll go with the 5 by 6 meters room then. The plans aren't drawn yet so I can "choose" the room size.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"