What's the story with theNew B&W CT800 line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

What's the story with theNew B&W CT800 line?

Any news on the new CT800 line from B&W??? Schnell also makes an in-cabinet design. Is that what these are? I see that there is an active crossover/eq.. Any thoughts on this line? Price?
    Stew
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

WOW!!!! $15k per speaker/crossover........... OK Forget it. This is crazy now. Please, B&W, stop making more expensive stuff........I hate this damn hobby. Once my Classe ssp-300 and 3200 &2100... and Velodyne DD-18 show up on tuesday I hope to never talk to you guys again. I feel like a drug addict at a NA meeting listening to a bunch of guys telling me how good the "new stuff" is..... Now that I am checking this forum once an hour I realize that I have an addiction problem..... I am gonna give up hi-end audio for booze. Maybe Andrew Ward some extra for me....
    Stew

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
      WOW!!!! $15k per speaker/crossover........... OK Forget it. This is crazy now. Please, B&W, stop making more expensive stuff........I hate this damn hobby. Once my Classe ssp-300 and 3200 &2100... and Velodyne DD-18 show up on tuesday I hope to never talk to you guys again. I feel like a drug addict at a NA meeting listening to a bunch of guys telling me how good the "new stuff" is..... Now that I am checking this forum once an hour I realize that I have an addiction problem..... I am gonna give up hi-end audio for booze. Maybe Andrew Ward some extra for me....
      You got it right there. Nothing else to do but obsess !! :conveyer:

Grown men and their toys. Whose fire engine is bigger. :driver:

At least if you take up drinking you'll get out of the house ;x(

Comment

• worldys
        • Dec 2005

as folks learn more about this new CT line, i wonder how they compare in sound to the new 800 diamond series, i checked the website and it sounds like they tried to adapt the 800 series technology into speakers logistically suited for custom installation, so if they use similar technology (although the adjustable combined tweeter/midrange is novel) but have very different cabinet design, my question is this:

did b&w compromise sound for aesthetics with the 800 diamond series

or did they comprosie sound for installation logistics with the CT800 series

it might not be a real issue for most people, including myself, because when i start paying 20-30k for my home theater speakers, i am going to want to admire them, not hide them behind a wall, so even if the 800D don't sound as good, i would likely still go that route

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

"Once my Classe ssp-300 and 3200 &2100... and Velodyne DD-18 show up on tuesday I hope to never talk to you guys again. "
          Oh really ? Once your new system is up and running , we ARE going to here more from you.. : :rofl: !
          Eliav
          :T Socrat

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I was thinking about getting the ssp300. I sent them an email. They have no plans for hdmi or upgrading that product, nor PLIIx. There will be an ssp-900 coming out at the end of 2nd quarter that will support hdmi.

I am going to go with the bryston sp2 because of their upgrade policy and the balanced outs. did you compare the ssp300 to the bryston 1.7 by chance? if so, what were your thoughts? i dont have a classe dealer for 300 miles...
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
              I was thinking about getting the ssp300. I sent them an email. They have no plans for hdmi or upgrading that product, nor PLIIx. There will be an ssp-900 coming out at the end of 2nd quarter that will support hdmi.

I am going to go with the bryston sp2 because of their upgrade policy and the balanced outs. did you compare the ssp300 to the bryston 1.7 by chance? if so, what were your thoughts? i dont have a classe dealer for 300 miles...
              Just FYI, the Bryston does not have balanced inputs, only balanced outs. I thought I'd tell you in case that was important to you. It sort of annoyed me recently when I bought that Ayre universal stereo player and realized I couldn't use the balanced outs on it with the Bryston SP1.7...

Comment

• stewfoo
                • Jul 2005

If my memory serves me correctly the sp-900 is going to sell in the $15k range. Hdmi is not important to me now because I do not switch through my pre-proc. I am the king at remote macros.
                uhhhh back to CT800 series please.
                Stew

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
                  If my memory serves me correctly the sp-900 is going to sell in the $15k range.
                  Have you seen it? Its price is equally matched by its size... SSP-900

I am curious to know just how many dealers are going to even stock those things. As the name implies "Custom" they are really intended for just that, custom installations. From what I understand B&W dealers must pay for the speakers they have on display. They are not loaned to them. Probably why not too many carry the original Nautilus at $40K a pop. Even at dealer cost I am sure they will be expensive to outfit a whole room with.
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                    I am going to go with the bryston sp2 because of their upgrade policy and the balanced outs.
                    Have you changed your mind about the AV9? I found the SP2 to pair very nicely with the B&W's acoustically. The ARCAM was a little too laid back for my tastes but don't let that discourge you.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"