X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasbwfan
    • Sep 2005

800 Series Subs - New Models?

I've seen mention of an 865 and 875 possibly to be released later this year by B&W. From what I've seen and read, it appears as though B&W will be adding room correction functionality to the existing subwoofer offerings and will be badging them under new names. Does anyone have any additonal information on whether or not there is any truth to these rumors? Is B&W in fact coming out with 2 new subs to add to the 800 series? If so, is it worth the wait for someone who is considering an 825 purchase in the next couple of weeks? Thank you all in advance,
    texasbwfan
  • texasbwfan
    • Sep 2005

I sent a similar inquiry to B&W direct Saturday morning...ironically enough, I received a response from B&W minutes after posting the question to the forum. B&W's response as follows:

Thank you for purchasing B&W! At this time, B&W is still developing the room correction technologies that will be used in the next generation of 800 series subwoofers, however at this time no release date has been set for the model ASW 865. However, apart from the room correction software, the model ASW 825 is in all other ways identical in design to the ASW 865 and as such, I do think it will be an excellent match for the 805S in a system. While no pricing has been set for the ASW 865, I would imagine due to the cost and complexity of room correction modules that the price difference between the two models will be significant.
    texasbwfan

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I recieved the same sort of answer, that's why I ordered an ASW-855.I was waiting from august last year for thz ASW-875 to be released, I can tell you I'm very happy with the ASW-855

Comment

• texasbwfan
        • Sep 2005

Jericho,

Did you by chance audition the 825 before buying the 855? If so, how significant is the difference between the two subs? Which speakers do you have your 855 paired with? The 855 must be a monster!
        texasbwfan

Comment

• jericho
          • Dec 2004

I didn't audition the ASW-825, but I can tell you the sub is a great difference once you ad him to the system.I own a pair of 800D as front, a HTM-1D as center and for the moment a pair of 805 as rear but I intend to buy the 802D as rear as I'm listening a lot to SACD

Comment

• Kobus
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jericho
            I own a pair of 800D as front, a HTM-1D as center and for the moment a pair of 805 as rear but I intend to buy the 802D as rear as I'm listening a lot to SACD
            I see you are a police officer, or THE police officer. Any jobs out there?

You have a great system enjoy.

Kobus

Comment

• jericho
              • Dec 2004

I'm an instructor at the police academy in Brussels.

Comment

• akhter
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by texasbwfan
                I sent a similar inquiry to B&W direct Saturday morning...ironically enough, I received a response from B&W minutes after posting the question to the forum. B&W's response as follows:

Thank you for purchasing B&W! At this time, B&W is still developing the room correction technologies that will be used in the next generation of 800 series subwoofers, however at this time no release date has been set for the model ASW 865. However, apart from the room correction software, the model ASW 825 is in all other ways identical in design to the ASW 865 and as such, I do think it will be an excellent match for the 805S in a system. While no pricing has been set for the ASW 865, I would imagine due to the cost and complexity of room correction modules that the price difference between the two models will be significant.
                Buy a 855 and add a Velodyne SMS-1 to calibrate it. I doubt the 865 will be much better than that combo, and will surely cost much more than that. I have the Velodyne DD12 paired with my N804, and the integration is fantastic. I feel with a sub, the single most important factor is integration with the speakers, and unless you have been integrating for years, its a very difficult process. In that regard, the Velodyne Digital Drive v2.0 software (both in DD series and SMS-1) makes it somewhat accessible to most of us.

Comment

• texasbwfan
                  • Sep 2005

Akhter,

Are you currently using the Velodyne SMS-1 with an 855? Can you comment on the set-up / ease of use? I now own the asw675 paired with my 805S and did not have any major issues in properly integrating. When I first read that B&W was doing R&D on room calibration for their 800 series subs, I thought it best to inquire prior to making a purchase I may soon regret. B&W's room calibration sounds interesting but it's not a must for me. A remote would be nice but I don't see any mention of that in the near future. I've been considering an upgrade to either the 825 or 855...just want to make sure I've done my research before pulling the trigger.
                  texasbwfan

Comment

• perato
                    • Jan 2005

I have ASW650 and a Velodyne SMS-1. The SMS-1 does make a difference. It is relatively easy to use. The auto EQ may or may not work well, it depends on your room. For me, the auto EQ did not work well. The SMS-1 is VERY customizable, so you can manually adjust the settings to your prefrence. Except for one analog interconnect cable, everything you need to setup and use the SMS-1 comes in the box.

If you "did not have any major issues in properly integrating" and already have a flat frequency response, then you do not need any EQ.

You can find out about the SMS-1 at Velodyne's website. The SMS-1's MSRP is US$700, but many places sell it for US$599, or less.
                    In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"