X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

FedEx and B&W's do not mix.

A gentleman from Ebay sent me a picture of what Fedex likes to do to B&W speakers. :E

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

I can definitely attest to the fact that UPS is also an equal opportunity B&W hater!

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Ouch, that musta hurt.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
        I can definitely attest to the fact that UPS is also an equal opportunity B&W hater!
        Ill second that!!
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Kevlar "post-mortum". a heartache.
          Eliav :nonod:
          :T Socrat

Comment

• Miroku
            • Jul 2004

Yeah, I had a pair of CDM1 NTs mailed to me. Ended up having to replace both tweeters because they got smushed. It was FedEx iirc.

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

i dont get it, whats wrong with it, that's what mine look like?

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• mike c
                • Dec 2005

doesnt that look intentional?

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                  Yeah, I don't buy it either. I can't imagine how that kind of damage could have occurred by shipping damage. Maybe that ebay guy has it in for the shippers and is planting propaganda. I've known people who would do things like that.

Sparky

Comment

• Wizard-of-Odd
                    • Jun 2005

I know first hand how brutal UPS can be with speakers. Last summer I bought a pair of P5's off ebay - only one speaker arrived. When I checked UPS package tracking, the entry for the missing speaker was "Package destroyed, contents discarded." Speakers were insured so I ended up ok, but neither I nor the seller ever got an explaination of what happened.

Kevin
                    It's fun being the only grownup in the house.

Comment

• cjrivera
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Wizard-of-Odd
                      I know first hand how brutal UPS can be with speakers. Last summer I bought a pair of P5's off ebay - only one speaker arrived. When I checked UPS package tracking, the entry for the missing speaker was "Package destroyed, contents discarded." Speakers were insured so I ended up ok, but neither I nor the seller ever got an explaination of what happened.

Kevin
                      Same thing just happened to me. Won an auction on ebay for SCM-1s and they were sent by UPS. Didn't arrive for 2-3 weeks, despite package tracking saying that it was in their warehouse. An investigation was started and the result is that "Package either lost or destroyed". The shipper had $1000 of insurance, but I paid $1200+ for them. I'm waiting to see what happens...

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                        • May 2004

I think that too many people are too focussed on how a speaker looks. How does it sound, that is what is important.
                        Steel

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Karma
                          HI,
                          Yeah, I don't buy it either. I can't imagine how that kind of damage could have occurred by shipping damage. Maybe that ebay guy has it in for the shippers and is planting propaganda. I've known people who would do things like that.

Sparky
                          Trust me Sparky, I have seen worse than that, I purchased a pair of CDM7's for my daughters room awhile back, when Fedex dropped them off the packages looked fine, but when I opened them up I noticed one of the phase plugs was missing, upon further inspection I found that they magnet had sheered off the back plate and fell into the cabinet! Fedex dropped them so hard that this happened to four of the drivers in the set.
                          My Fedex driver said that she is not suprised at all by the force that is put on packages, her son works in one of the centers and says that they have conveyers that will drop the packages from 15ft above the ground down to someone who is supposed to catch them, if he/she gets backed up they just fall on the floor. Terrible way to handle customers packages. :cry:
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                            My Fedex driver said that she is not suprised at all by the force that is put on packages, her son works in one of the centers and says that they have conveyers that will drop the packages from 15ft above the ground down to someone who is supposed to catch them, if he/she gets backed up they just fall on the floor. Terrible way to handle customers packages. :cry:
                            Man, I'd hate to be the guy that had to catch my old Levinson amp that shipped FedEx. :E
                            Danish

Comment

• jlr_1304
                              • Aug 2005

At least we can see that B&W doesnt use cheap wires.

Comment

• Jeff
                                • Dec 2004

A 15 foot drop? From the damage to the package/contents to the work comp issues. I just can't believe that. It would be GREAT fodder from the news show 60 Minutes where they go behind the scenes and capture this method of handling. You would think FedEx would clean up their act if this were to happen.

Jeff

Comment

• RobP
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Fedex strikes again!! :evil:
                                  I sold a set of large format JBL theater horns to a customer last week, they insisted on using Fedex because they were cheaper than UPS. Well the theater manager called me today,and Fedex apparently broke open a box and just delivered a bare horn with no box , mounting hardware, driver or throat adapter, they just slapped a label on the front of the horn and delivered it that way. Of course is cracked and scratched. :M This crap is unbelievable!!!! What happened to good customer service??? :huh:
                                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• george_k
                                    • Jan 2004

This is exactly the reason I decided not to ship my 100+lb servo-15 from my parents house to where I live now (across the country).

Sure there may be thousand's of success stories but the associated headache in dealing with this crap if it were to happen to you is just not worth the risk IMO...so I'm going to drive down in the summer and pick it up myself.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                                      I'm not denying that s**t happens. It does. I was really commenting on the actual nature of the damage. It looks like the cone was ripped out by hand. I can't imagine how that can happen except by human hands.

As for the 15 foot drop, I flat don't belive it. If it's true, well what can I say? I'm left speechless (rare 8) ).

I used to run a high end hi fi repair shop. I placed orders every day that were delivered by both Fed Ex and UPS. I never had a single problem either with damage or misdelivery. Additionally, I do many internet personal purchases, hundreds, without any damage and only two misdeliveries that were quickly corrected.

I'm not trying to pander to the shipping companies and I believe you are being truthful about your personal experiences. I feel for you. But, my expereince tells me that they do a good job in the vast majority of cases. It could always be better, of course. I don't want to over react by not using such a useful service.

Sparky

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Now Fedex express is a different story all together, plus a different company They are great in handling packages,all of my Xenon bulbs are shipped by them. You have to remember Fedex ground used to be RPS and is still run the same way. Every Fedex ground package that I have had has been lost or damaged in some way. The process which they use are high speed conveyor belts with the high drops, I have been told this by more than one person at Fedex.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Karma
                                          HI All,
                                          I'm not denying that s**t happens. It does. I was really commenting on the actual nature of the damage. It looks like the cone was ripped out by hand. I can't imagine how that can happen except by human hands.
                                          Sparky
                                          If you take a close look at the picture you can tell that the speaker was puched inward, the frame of the speaker has broken away from the mounting ring, thats why the cone looks like it does. If someone did that by hand, I sure as hell wouldnt want to meet him in a dark alley. That would be one tough s.o.b.
                                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
                                            • Nov 2005

Wasn't someone saying that you can jump on those with two people and not break them? How is that kind of damage possible without intentionally trying to do it?

Comment

• Ryx
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                                              Wasn't someone saying that you can jump on those with two people and not break them? How is that kind of damage possible without intentionally trying to do it?
                                              I belive those were the Rohacell cones they were talking about, and even so, they could still be damaged with say, a forklift fork. there was a subwoofer on ebay awhile ago which had a forklift fork put through it 8O

Comment

• RobP
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Honestly B&W drivers are not built that well, they are designed to perform very well but the mechanics and strength of the frames are average. The magnets are glued on with no mechanical fasteners at all. Now the Kevlar used is VERY strong, but I cannot think of many drivers that would withstand someone standing on them without breaking.
                                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Ryx
                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                                  Honestly B&W drivers are not built that well, they are designed to perform very well but the mechanics and strength of the frames are average. The magnets are glued on with no mechanical fasteners at all. Now the Kevlar used is VERY strong, but I cannot think of many drivers that would withstand someone standing on them without breaking.
                                                  as far as I can remember, when B&W brought out there new 800 series, they did a dementration of how strong the new Rohacell was by standing on one of there new cones (just the cone itself no basket or magnet, just the cone) to me it was just an attention grabbing thing more then anything else.

Comment

• CP-Mike
                                                    • Nov 2005

Yup, I sold a set of computer speakers to some guy a few years back who insisted I use FedEx ground to ship it. After they tried to deliver it 3 times and nobody signed for it (I shipped it to what was allegedly his "work" address) he had to go pick it up himself. The box was mostly gone, along with all the packaging supplies I put in there, a huge chunk of MDF was missing from the subwoofer, the speaker grills were torn (these were metal) and the whole thing was held together by lots and lots of tape. FedEx refused to honor the insurance that I PAID EXTRA FOR because they didn't do the actual packing of the items..... Plus the buyer made me refund 50% of his money because I "didn't take enough care to properly insure the package"....

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"