• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Experience with Krell FPB300c + B&W's

I'm on a FPB 300C Krell 300 watts pure "A" per channel

Its not new but I think it may be the one for me. Anyone know it ?
  • krellfan
    • Jul 2005

Mr. Doggy,

What would you like to know about the Krell FPB 300C? It will have plenty of power to drive the 802D. I have had the FPB 200, 250M monoblocks and now the 350 MCX driving 802D and it sounds pretty decent sonding combination. The 300C will probably put out about 400 -450W into 8 Ohms. I don't remember what processor you have but Krell amps tend to sound best using the balanced input. The CAST input is suppose to better but the Krell HTS 7.1 and Showcase processors don't have CAST outputs. The new Krell EVO processor has CAST outputs but it's $18K.
    Most of the FPB series are very reliable and should last many years.

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Krellfan,

I did some research and learned that the 400CX is an upgraded 300C. Also you can upgrade the 300C for around $2k.

I'm only looking for a 240V version and I found 2. One is a 400CX for $7500 and the onther is a 300C for $5500. I don't think neither price is a gift. The 400CX is an hour away from me and the 300C has to come overseas. The 400CX is perfect like new, but I really didn't want to spend more than $5k so I might have to 'settle' for a 300C.

Got any feel on what I should be paying for either ?

thanks
      Doggy

Comment

• krellfan
        • Jul 2005

Mr. Doggy,

If you get the 300C, make sure it's converted for 230V/ 50 Hz since the amp has a chip that detects the line frequency and it won't turn on if the frequency doesn't match.
        The 300 and 400 has the same power supply but the bias circuit was changed to pump out another 100W. The CX series is slightly better than the C series but it's not significanly better so it might not be worth the $$$.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Krellfan,

It is original 240V. and supposedly in great condition. I'm glad I gotr this advice from you as I think Im gonna go for the 300C. Later down the line maybe do an upgrade, but at least I have the option.

I am biwiring the 802D's with Nordost Red Dawn $1400 for the 2m pair. The FPB 300c has possibility for bi-amp to speaker. The wires are banana's now on both sides one side is 2 going to 4 banana's on the other side.

I will have to send this pair of wires to nordost to have them terminated in 4 shovels on the Amp side. Then I'll have 4 shovels on one side and 4 banana's on the other OR have them do 8 Shovels.

Temporarily I can hook up regular heavy gauge speaker wire bi-amped (not true bi-amped but bi-poled)

Or do you think I wouldn't hear a difference. Obviously its there for a reason and I should profit using it. I know the answer already

Comment

• johan
            • Dec 2004

I have a 300cx driving n802's and I dont see how it can be much better.
            Good luck!

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

The 300c is now looking like less probable as it has to be shipped $450 then duties $400 so it would come in costing $6400 there abouts. When I can buy a 400cx like brand new for $7500. Remember its in 240V so its never the same pricing as in the US.

Its always a tuff one when you're spending more than you originally thought about. I mean I was thinking 2x Classe CAM 350's for only $3400 for the pair and somehow I've arrived at $7500 more than double for the Krell 400CX.

Then in the back of your mind, your thinking, do I really need this ? Or Am I just obsessing.......

By the way in case anyone is interested the 3 x 350 classe cams are on ebay

Comment

• kurtholz
                • Feb 2005

go for the 400cx, it's only money, just make more, no shipping,more power, you can get it easy, and it will last forever,it's a no brainer

well, if your sick like me it is at least

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• krellfan
                  • Jul 2005

Mr. doggy,

Since the price between the 300C and 400Cx is about $1K difference, I would get the 400CX since it's new.
                  Many years ago, I almost bought a Classe CA 400 because it was less expensive than the Krell and it was also a pretty good amp but my wife knew that was not what I really wanted. My wife told me to get what I really want and she encouraged me to get the Krells. I ended up spending about $3.5K more and bought a pair of Krell FPB 250M monoblocks. Seven years later, we have six Krell monoblocks. I never regretted the decision and I know that I am very lucky to have a wife that understands my hobby.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

krellfan

The wires I have are biwire nordost 2 on one side and 4 on the other all banana's I will have to send them back to the manufacturer to change for 4 x 4 don't you agree ?

Comment

• xk8boy
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                      The 300c is now looking like less probable as it has to be shipped $450 then duties $400 so it would come in costing $6400 there abouts. When I can buy a 400cx like brand new for $7500. Remember its in 240V so its never the same pricing as in the US.

Its always a tuff one when you're spending more than you originally thought about. I mean I was thinking 2x Classe CAM 350's for only $3400 for the pair and somehow I've arrived at $7500 more than double for the Krell 400CX.

Then in the back of your mind, your thinking, do I really need this ? Or Am I just obsessing.......

By the way in case anyone is interested the 3 x 350 classe cams are on ebay
                      MG, if you're going to send over $7500 you might has well do it correct. For a few extra pounds, have you consider the classe M400.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by xk8boy
                        MG, if you're going to send over $7500 you might has well do it correct. For a few extra pounds, have you consider the classe M400.
                        I have heard these are very good Amps, but I have heard the Krell's are better. Its hard to jump ship off the Good Ship "krell"

Comment

• krellfan
                          • Jul 2005

Mr. Doggy,

I don't think there will be any improvement in sound by going from 2 x 4 to 4 x 4 in speaker cable connection since the two outputs of the Krell are connected in parallel internally anyway. I would leave it as is but you will need to reterminate the amp side of the cable to spade since Krell does not accept banana connectors.

So have you decided to go with the 400CX since I saw your amp in Audiogon?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Im almost there in the decision I am trying to nickel the guy down but I move a thousand for the guy to move 100. Im pretty much decided.

I called Nordost and they will change the 2 bananas to 4 spades for $100. I think it might be better for the cables to be done by them. Or there is a guy locally but he's expensive.

Or I could get out the old solder iron and some good solder and do it myself and not have any down time

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

krellfan

I found out they have banana to spade adaptors, so thats something more to think about.

I think I should run regular cable while I send the biwire to become biamp. Why stop after $60k+ for $100 spades

Comment

• Pieter
                                • Jan 2005

I found out they have banana to spade adaptors, so thats something more to think about.
                                Don't.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Pieter
                                  Don't.
                                  Pieter

I wont
                                  :T

Comment

• Pieter
                                    • Jan 2005

I wont :T
                                    Good, just another unnescary interface you don't need.

On the by, your system sure has come a long way in about a year's time. Definitely playing in the big league now.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Pieter
                                      Good, just another unnescary interface you don't need.

On the by, your system sure has come a long way in about a year's time. Definitely playing in the big league now.
                                      Trying to keep up with you guys. Well I've agreed on the price for the Fpb 400CX at 6000 Euros $7200USD and will go pick it up on Sunday.

My 17 year old son will be around to help me carry this baby in. It weighs 125 lbs !! :T

I will send the cable back to nordost to re-terminate and use ordinary top quality speaker cable (monster heavy gauge) until it comes back.

Comment

• krellfan
                                        • Jul 2005

Which processor will you be using with the 400cx? I hope it has balance outputs.
                                        Pieter is correct about using the adaptors, it's not a good idea. Do give us your opinion on the 400cx next week.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by krellfan
                                          Which processor will you be using with the 400cx? I hope it has balance outputs.
                                          Pieter is correct about using the adaptors, it's not a good idea. Do give us your opinion on the 400cx next week.
                                          Im using Parasound Halo C1. ALL balanced outputs !!

Also using the incredible Ayre D1-Xe DVD/CD player ($10k new) ;x(

IN CD mode I go Ayre CD > Goldmund DAC Digin > BYPASS XLR > Halo > DIRECT > Krell. The Halo only controls Volume. :T

I'll let you know. More important will be my wifes reaction when she see's the size of the Beast. :frypan:

Funny I just took off my Nordost $1400 a pair speaker wire and put on temporarily 'older monster speaker cable' (clear thick copper wire) and they sound pretty good. I'm not sure what the Nordost sounded like now and I wonder what will be the difference willbe when I go back.
                                          Last edited by misterdoggy; 18 January 2006, 08:04 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"