X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jca31
    • Nov 2007

Distortion from my 801s

I purchased 801 series II that have been upgraded to series III. I am driving these with a Hafler Dh-500. I was in heaven for about two months and I now have a distortion on the left channel. in the woofer and is extreme. does this mean the driver or cone needs to be replaced? any input here is welcome.
  • angelface
    • Oct 2007

Only a dealer can tell you what is wrong but it doesn't sound good (sorry for the pun!)
    Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI jca,
      You need to isolate the the problem to the speakers or the electronics assuming you are hearing the problem in only one channel. Reverse, left for right, the speaker leads at the amplifier. If the problem moves to the other speaker the problem is with the amp. If the problem stays in the same speaker the problem is the speaker.

Betcha the problem is the electronics, probably the power amp. B&W speakers are tough.

Of course, we have no idea how you use the system. Some people really abuse their speakers.

Sparky

Comment

• jca31
        • Nov 2007

801 series II parts

can anyone tell me what the P/N is for the woofer on the 801 a
        matrix. thanks.
        J.C.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

I agree with Karma.

You need to isolate the problem to that speaker. Switch speaker leads on the amplifier and even the sends from the Pre-Amp to make sure it is the speaker.

If it still makes the noise, call your dealership or the closest dealership and they should be able to help you. If you really need to know the part number of the driver, B&W labels the back of their drivers. So you might have to break out the screw driver and some patience...
          Last edited by joetama; 20 November 2007, 12:43 Tuesday. Reason: Spelling > Me
          -Joe

Comment

• jca31
            • Nov 2007

time for some tools

I did change the wiring and it stayed with the speaker. looking at the front of the 801, it looks pretty straight forward to take out the screws and pull the driver. am I over simplifying? i have a tendency to do that.

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

If it is from the Bass Driver than I don't think you are over simplifying it.

The midrange is a different story...
              -Joe

Comment

• aquaanox
                • Feb 2007

Could even be a problem with the crossover.. i would take it to the dealer and see what they say.. I had a faint noise coming from one of the woofers on a XT4. Dealer replaced the complete speaker without even taking the one i brought in out of the box.

Comment

• jca31
                  • Nov 2007

cool, I will tear it up and let you know how I make out. I there a check I can perform on the driver itself. I say a picture on audiogon of a driver for sale. the picture had an Ohm meter hooked to both leads. If I remember correctly it read 5.6 ohms I guess. could not make out if it was reading impedance or resistance, or are they the same?

Comment

• jca31
                    • Nov 2007

aquaanox,

I guess I could, but these things weigh a ton and are in my basement. If I can take the driver out and check it or have it checked, it would make life a whole lot easier.

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by jca31
                      cool, I will tear it up and let you know how I make out. I there a check I can perform on the driver itself. I say a picture on audiogon of a driver for sale. the picture had an Ohm meter hooked to both leads. If I remember correctly it read 5.6 ohms I guess. could not make out if it was reading impedance or resistance, or are they the same?
                      Move it around and see if anything rubs.

Look for damage on the Voice Coil, Spider, or anything else.

To be honest DCR really won't tell you too much...
                      -Joe

Comment

• jca31
                        • Nov 2007

thanks, i did move the woofer and it does not feel or sound as if it is rubbing on anything. What would I be looking for in the way of damage from the back side of the driver?

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Tears in the spider, places where glue isn't sticking any more. Loose tinsel leads.
                          -Joe

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"