Yesterday my 804s came home and now I’m in (music) heaven!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrissB
    • Jul 2005

Yesterday my 804s came home and now I’m in (music) heaven!

Thanks to many nice readings in this forum I traveled to Athens 10 days ago and had a listen to 804s …That was it! Love at first……listen! I’m a happy owner now….but still need your input…..regarding amplification.
    What do you think about the following options?
    Accuphase Integrated Stereo Amplifier E-308 (100w/8ohms, 140w/4ohms)
    Perreaux R 200i
    AVI Ls
    Musical Fidelity A5
    Any input will be much appreciated!

P.s. U’ll notice classe is not on the list as here in Europe prices are crazy…
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

How about Rotel? Here in USA, B&W are often sold at the same dealer, as they seem to match each-other well. Musical Fidelity looks nice on the pictures I've seen. I wonder if it sounds just as good.

Comment

• radim
      • Feb 2004

My secret choice is Musical Fidelity A5.
      Self I am thinking about purchase this unit.
      A5 is in two versions: integrated and separate (pre/power amp)...
      See you later.

radim

Comment

• ChrissB
        • Jul 2005

Thanx for the replies ppl! :-)

I will audition both rotel and MF....the come in good prices 2!

Comment

• george_k
          • Jan 2004

Hey Chris,

I've never heard of the other 3 choice you mentioned sorry for my ignorance ;-) but I did notice that atleast on spec the Musical Fidelity integrated amp offered more power both in 8 and 4 ohm loads. Considering that the 800 series are considered to be harder to drive I think you will benefit from the added power.

The local B&W dealer I goto carries Musical unfortunately I couldn't tell you my opinion on them cause they are a bit out of my price range.

PS: Nice to see another greek on the forum

Comment

• ChrissB
            • Jul 2005

hello George,
            Thanx for your input... your are more than right that power (and quality not only quantity) is much needed so to make 804s really sing (i can only imagine what'll happen with a proper amp ...as they are allready very sweet driven by an AZ1 yamaha).
            All amps I have mentioned are of high quallity, 200 w/8ohms with Perraux having the nicest specs...
            Prices are quite different tho: Perraux about 4000 euros, avi ls 2000 euros and MF about 2500 euros.
            I guess I'll have to go and audition them in Athens as I live in a small town and local shops dont have them on display.

PS nice 2 see you 2! :-)

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

I use the MF integrated A5 with my Nautilus 804s and the combination is excellent. Very wide and deep soundstage and my two-channel system can go to ridiculous volume levels. The A5 really allows the 804s to reach their potential.

Comment

• ChrissB
                • Jul 2005

Thanx for your input Mark. :-)
                Looks like MF is a great match for 804s.
                BTW are you happy with its operation? I mean are there any heat issues, humming etc...?

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

Chris:

No. No heat or hum issues at all. Completely quiet. In fact, I feel I have hardly tapped the A5's potential because I don't get too many opportunities to really let her rip. By the way, I have the 804s matched with a Rel Storm III sub. I highly recommend a sub to give the 804s a boost.

Comment

• ChrissB
                    • Jul 2005

Good 2 know that! thanx again Mark :-)

MF is a strong Candidate :-)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"