X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ogduncan
    • Oct 2005

which sub for 6 series

Okay i have 5 piece 6 series set as of now( soon to be 7 piece) and was wondering what sub under $1200 i should get. I listen to rock and rap. And i want to impress my friends with the bad ass rumble of the jets flying in Top Gun. So another words i want alot of bass.
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

My personal choice...

If you are in the states: SVS
    If you are in Canada: Energy

Comment

• akhter
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ogduncan
      Okay i have 5 piece 6 series set as of now( soon to be 7 piece) and was wondering what sub under $1200 i should get. I listen to rock and rap. And i want to impress my friends with the bad ass rumble of the jets flying in Top Gun. So another words i want alot of bass.
      A friend of mine has the ASW 675 with DM604S4, and with out any tweaking, the sub just dissappeared instantly in 2ch music. This sort of perfect integration is what we always want so I highly recommend it. Its no slouch with movies either.

Comment

• ogduncan
        • Oct 2005

arnt the BW subs a little sloppy

Comment

• texasbwfan
          • Sep 2005

I currently own a pair of 805s, an HTM3s, and an asw675 sub. In my opinion, the B&W sub is far from 'sloppy'. In fact, the performance of this sub amazes me every time I listen to it. Despite the fact that my fronts, center, and sub are from different B&W lines. I find the sound to be very well integrated. Just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.
          texasbwfan

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Well you have to decide whether you want a quick sealed bass for listening to music or a open ported one for those deep deep rumbling effects in movies...

To me you should look at SVS for movies/music and REL for Music/movies. The SVS to me has been the most impressive subs I've listened to, but with their open ported design they aren't "as quick" for music, so a lot of people don't think that they are "as good" for music. However, they are near impossible to beat (performance vs. price) for movie viewing.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

For movie viewing, SVS stands far and away ahead of the crowd. Compare Top Gun on both an SVS system and the B&W, you will make the same decision many others did(SVS). I felt the B&W was a slouch for movies. Popping in Titan AE instantly told me that.

If you are in Canada, then HSU is another good value. If you are outside the US, SVS has a distributor in Europe.

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

texasbwfan,

I know the 675 offer great punchy bass for music but how do they handle the often rumbling bass notes found in movies u know those low frequency brrrrrrrr notes that makes paintings and ornaments rattle.

Comment

• texasbwfan
                  • Sep 2005

To be honest, I haven't watched enough movies to give you an opinion on the rumble factor. I recently watched the movie Troy and remember being quite impressed by the opening battle scene. Outside of Troy, haven't really seen a movie that puts the sub to the test. I'm new to B&W...speakers are only a few months old.
                  texasbwfan

Comment

• ogduncan
                    • Oct 2005

How do M&K, and Velodyne subs performe. Also what are the important things to look for. rms watts, how low of a frequency it can hit, anything else? Also I heard that the ear could not hear past 20hz if this is true wouldnt anything pass that be useless.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

You *feel* bass below 20hz and it's far from useless!

M&K, Velodyne and B&W all make good subs but they tend to cost more for no added performance over an SVS IMO. In other words, while they are good subs you'll get as good or better for less money at SVS
                      Jason

Comment

• Kirium
                        • Sep 2005

What about a sub to match a 600 series setup in Australia?? (Check my sig for the setup)

I've had a look at the SVS website, and they seem to be getting very good reviews, but shipping to Australia is massive, about $270 USD.

I've kinda got my eye on the Velodyne SPL-1000R, at $2200AUD RRP if i can get a decent discount off that $2.2k, but not sure if it's worth bringing in one of these SVS subs, at a bit of an unknown cost with shipping. What are my options for subs in the price range of the Velodyne?? Well... under the price of that, not over.

Comment

• mikej
                          • Oct 2005

bob carver sunfire jr

Here is an excellent sub under your price with just the right amt bass for everytnig.

Comment

• brendon
                            • Aug 2004

Subs in Australia

Hi Kirium,
                            HSU has a distributer in Australia and will supply for in home trial with a $50 restocking fee if you send it back.Stick HSU into google and tick Aust only and you will find their site.I am considering giving them a go in the new year when the VTF2 or 3 with supercharger (sounds silly I know!) is available.
                            Also looking at the B&W and baulked at the cost of getting a SVS Sub from the US without being able to hear it first.
                            I also have a B&W 602s3 based system
                            Brendon

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

That is one tough thing, shipping costs. At least SVS gives you a 45 day trial to return it (so all you would loose is shipping),but that's still a lot. I would say if you had put the money into the SVS, I doubt you'd ever return it (unless you upgraded)... They are a great subwoofer for the price.

HSU subs are equally as good, maybe even a slight bit better at music, but the SVS subs will get those low frequencies that the HSU just doesn't get to. Course that's not talking about the new HSU as I've never heard them.

I thought I had read that SVS has a site in Europe now... or maybe they can ship from Europe to help with the costs of outside the US?!?!? Or maybe I made that up, you'd have to ask them.
                              -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                That is one tough thing, shipping costs. At least SVS gives you a 45 day trial to return it (so all you would loose is shipping),but that's still a lot. I would say if you had put the money into the SVS, I doubt you'd ever return it (unless you upgraded)... They are a great subwoofer for the price.
                                $130 lost. I purchased their PSB-10 and didn't like it, and returned it. Found out that they charged me for the shipping it back as well. So I paid for the shipment to me and from me. I found the SVS had way too much port bass for my taste. To me, it doesn't take much for a movie's LFE to sound good, but for music... that's another thing. And I don't think the SVS did good with music.
                                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Hee hee, I'm one that thinks Subs don't belong in 2ch anyways...so I never used my 20-39PC+ or so to be PB12-Ultra/2 to listen to music.

But I agree with you, ported subs aren't as good with music as sealed (and vice versa).
                                  -Dan

Comment

• RobP
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

You gyts should have a listen to the B&W ASW850. Awsome for both movies and music. Sealed cabinet, 1000w................... Bliss
                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Kirium
                                      • Sep 2005

Yeah, because the 850 would be the perfect match for the 600 series and very easy on the wallet... :roll:

Comment

• Kirium
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by brendon
                                        Hi Kirium,
                                        HSU has a distributer in Australia and will supply for in home trial with a $50 restocking fee if you send it back.Stick HSU into google and tick Aust only and you will find their site.I am considering giving them a go in the new year when the VTF2 or 3 with supercharger (sounds silly I know!) is available.
                                        Also looking at the B&W and baulked at the cost of getting a SVS Sub from the US without being able to hear it first.
                                        I also have a B&W 602s3 based system
                                        Brendon
                                        Yeah, I've seen the HSU aus site... looks a bit... ermm... amaturish.
                                        I'm kinda leaning to the Velodyne SPL1000R. with remote, room eq with mic, small, sealed but with 1000w on tap. i'd like to see if i can find one for $1800ish. i'm pretty confident i can get a price like that, possibly better, from the place i got some of my B&W's in sydney, where i got about 25% off...

Comment

• RobP
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kirium
                                          Yeah, because the 850 would be the perfect match for the 600 series and very easy on the wallet... :roll:
                                          I was replying to PewterTa's comment about the performance between ported and sealed subwoofers, dont be a jerk.
                                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2001

You gyts should have a listen to the B&W ASW850. Awsome for both movies and music. Sealed cabinet, 1000w................... Bliss
                                            AV Talk recently reviewed it. Measurements don't bear this out unless you llike distortion.
                                            Here is the link
                                            Look especially at the harmonic distortion graph. Also look at what frequency these harmonics are happening at. Now if you don't listen at reference level or very loud, this may not be an issue. The PC Ultra from SVS dominates it though for far less(50% less if my math is correct).
                                            But I agree with you, ported subs aren't as good with music as sealed (and vice versa).
                                            I don't know that is true. It's all in the design IMHO and the Ultra is a different beast compared to the others in their line. The measurements tend to bear that out.

I know I know, we use our ears and have different room but tests like these were done outdoors where no boundary issues were in play nor the room was causing any issues either(it's eliminated).

Comment

• george_k
                                              • Jan 2004

ogduncan,

I'm in a similar situation, 600-series setup looking to add a sub. I was thinking of adding an ASW-675 but that won't cut it, I've decided that I'm going to save my money for a ASW-750 and an EQ.

Comment

• RobP
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                                                AV Talk recently reviewed it. Measurements don't bear this out unless you llike distortion.
                                                Shane, those type of tests that are conducted in parking lots in my opinion are a complete farse, they say that they test like that to get an accurate reading because there is no interference from your room, but what about ambient noise from outside influences. These test need to be conducted in anechoic chambers not parking lots.
                                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2001

Shane, those type of tests that are conducted in parking lots in my opinion are a complete farse, they say that they test like that to get an accurate reading because there is no interference from your room, but what about ambient noise from outside influences. These test need to be conducted in anechoic chambers not parking lots.
                                                  If so this would affect every sub:

If you look at the Velodyne DD 15 for instance it doesn't show these same issues. So you are saying that these outside interferences are only affecting the B&W? It's rather convienent that they are a farce when they don't go with what you are hearing though

Now if you wish to take the servo out of the mix The SVS PC Ultra doesn't have that issue either If the tube doesn't cut it for you then they make a box with a wood finish for a shade more.

It's no coincidence these are 2 of the most popular subs at the moment in the enthusiast market.

Comment

• RobP
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

If so this would affect every sub:

If you look at the Velodyne DD 15 for instance it doesn't show these same issues. So you are saying that these outside interferences are only affecting the B&W? It's rather convienent that they are a farce when they don't go with what you are hearing though

Shane,

I dont think its a matter of convienance for me to say that. Even if the B&W tested better than the other two, I still wouldnt believe in this type of testing, there is no control in this type of testing enviroment and the ambient enviroment is constantly changing. It is in no way fair to test ANY speaker this way. If this was a good way for testing, then why would top audio engineers waste money on building specialzed testing facilities when they could just go out into the parking lot at lunch and set up shop???

I purchased my subwoofer based on what I trust most, my ears, and from what I auditioned at the time, the ASW850 was my choice. I found it to be acurate and detailed with a smooth roll off at the lower frequencies. That is what I listen for when I audition speakers.
                                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

It's no coincidence these are 2 of the most popular subs at the moment in the enthusiast market.
                                                      Perhaps it is just coincidence.

Comments made from the same testing group have said the following about the REL Stampede:

"We couldn't get a huge amount out of this one, its only 100W after all. The bass rolloff is quite smooth and gentle so it should have tolerable extension in-room despite the fact the rolloff starts a bit early. The striking thing is the enormous amount of distortion being generated - below 50Hz it really takes off. Group delay is quite low and linear in nature. This characteristic is shared by several of the subs that are considered 'musical'. Perhaps this is more important than low distortion? The ETF Spectrogram is pretty clean, mirroring the Group Delay behaviour."

and the B&W ASW850:

"The grandaddy of the family. It goes louder than the 825. In-room this should give the DD15/18 a run for their money although the lack of servo will still give higher distortion."

I own a B&W subwoofer too and while quantitative measurements assist in my decision making process, it is my ears that makes the qualitative ones.

BTW, sealed enclosures are preferred over ported ones by knowledgeable enthusiasts and design engineers, however, a well designed ported cabinet can perform as well as a sealed one and is often necessary to achieve desired results within the given constraints.
                                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kirium
                                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                                        I was replying to PewterTa's comment about the performance between ported and sealed subwoofers, dont be a jerk.
                                                        By the way you said "you guys should try the 850", it sounded more like an OTT elitist response to 2 requests from myself and ogduncan for a cheapish ($1200) sub to match 600 series speakers. B&W's near top of the range ASW sub doesn't even begin to enter the picture of what we are seeking... That's how it came across. No need to resort to name-calling either. It's juvenile...

Comment

• perato
                                                          • Jan 2005

Subwoofers from HSU, SVS, Velodyne, in previous posts some even say REL, are favorably rated on various forums. If you're looking for cheap, the Onix Rocket ULW-10 Subwoofer was well reviewed by Audioholics. It doesn't necessarily go down to 20 Hz, but it has some equalization features and if you still cannot integrate it into your system you can always try a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or better yet the Velodyne SMS-1
                                                          In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• RobP
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kirium
                                                            By the way you said "you guys should try the 850", it sounded more like an OTT elitist response to 2 requests from myself and ogduncan for a cheapish ($1200) sub to match 600 series speakers. B&W's near top of the range ASW sub doesn't even begin to enter the picture of what we are seeking... That's how it came across. No need to resort to name-calling either. It's juvenile...

Kirium,
                                                            Let me start of by saying that I am not an Elitist, I am a regular guy who works his butt off just like everyone else here to get what I have, just because I own the top of the line B&W subwoofer doesnt mean that I am some rich fat cat. I am sorry that you took it that way, as for the name calling I apologize, but maybe you should have responded in a different way as well.

I suggested the ASW850 because if you are willing to spend $1200 on a new mid level sub, why not work a few extra hours overtime and save a few more weeks and find a deal on the top of the line stuff??
                                                            I have seen ASW800's sell for $1400, I purchased my ASW850 for $1700, it was a slightly used demo, so if you did a little work and hunting it could be in the picture for you. Is that such a bad thing??
                                                            If you can have steak at a hamburger price then why not!
                                                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Linmuse
                                                              • Nov 2004

Soundgravy, Kirium is in Australia & probably quoting Aussie dollars. Where the 825 retails for $4500 & the 855 is $6000. $1200A is equivalent to $900US.
                                                              Hope this helps with any confussion.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"