X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beehive
    • May 2005

denon for 602s3

may i have your suggestion on what's the best denon for my 602 s3?
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

I am going to give a really dumb answer and explain why:

Buy as much power as you can afford.

I have a home theatre with 603s3 LCR600, 600s3 and a 10" Energy Sub and a 75 watt denon (1705 if you really care) which is really great for HT but when you get to music on the more complex part of the song (rock guitars, plus drums, plus piano, plus etc...) the sound starts to sound compressed (even with the sub handling everything under 80 Hz).

When I mean compressed I mean on the more simple sections of the song every instrument sound descrete, clear and has dimension... On the complex part of the song the instuments start to blend together and does not have as much "impact".

I know the reciever is now the "weakest link" in the system and am planning to upgrade it to a Rotel RSX 1056 which is rated at 75W but really puts out more like 100W but I was expecting this when I started because I just wanted to buy something to get it up and started.

If you are not planning to upgrade your system I would buy as mush amplifier as you budget will afford because your 602s3 will be able to handle it.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

What is your budget? It may lead to some other options...

Also, I'm assuming you are going with a theater setup thus the Denon, but what other equipment and speakers do you have in addition to the 602?
      Danish

Comment

• LeeDempsey
        • Sep 2005

beehive, I am currently driving a pair of DM603 S3's with a Denon AVR-2805 (100 watts x 7.1; more like 125+ in 2-channel mode), with no problems, although I do have to crank my volume up into the -15dB range to fill up my room in 2-channel mode.

The 2805 is a great bargain these days if you don't need an HDMI interface; with the "06" series on the way, Denon has authorized their retailers to close the 2805 out at over $200 off of MSRP (Tweeter has them for $688), and you can probably get the price down even more if you negotiate.

LD

Comment

• LeeDempsey
          • Sep 2005

Not sure why "six hundred and eighty-eight dollars" showed up as "six-eight-smiley face" above!

LD

Comment

• beehive
            • May 2005

my budget is not more than $700, i think the 2805 is great!!!
            thanks LD,.... hey sim thanks too...im not planning any upgrade,
            im happy with my 602 ( driving it with an old sony STR though ).

Comment

• Somphon
              • Aug 2005

I'm also driving my speakers with 2805. 15dB is about right for good listening. To me it sounds better than its priced, more for your money. I was actually shocked when my room shooked while watching 'the Incredibles' without subs! WIth music, its not the great, but sufficient. Mind that you dont listen to other hi-end system and come home. You'll be ok. The highs are always good with denon but not sure if I would recommend it with the diamond tweeter, but who would use denon with the high range anyway!

Comment

• beehive
                • May 2005

another thing...

ahhh now that i finally decided to buy the 2805, i need your suggestions
                on what rear should i get, do i need to buy the same 602S3 sets again?
                i already have the LCR60 s3 ( last peice in the store so i have to settle
                with ashley black- i love sorrento though).
                my sub is an old kenwood which i will upgrade after a month or two.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

You can easily go with the 601S3s or 600S3s or stick with the 602S3s. Though if you are doing a lot of Multichannel music listening, match the fronts and get the 602s again.

But if it's strickly for Home Theater Usage... any will do with the 602s being the best and going do the line obviously.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                    • May 2004

If my clients are in need of a receiver, we offer Denon, Yamaha, Rotel and Lexicon. However, the Denon 2805 is our entry level for bedrooms, offices, libraries, etc..

It is extremely capable for $900 retail, and for 688$ it is surely a best buy. In order to really be able to discern a differece in detail at low-middle volumes you would be required to step up to a Rotel RSX-1056 to legitimize your purchase.

I just had Denon send me a 2805 to put in my master bedroom myself. I'm currently just using a pair of Boston Acoustics VR950's in there, but I plan on upgrading to 604s3's soon.

Comment

• beehive
                      • May 2005

I think I will get another 602s3 sets PewterTA, thanks to you,
                      i just love these speakers for their price...

IntegrateMe, please bear with me, if i get the rotel, do i still need
                      the denon? i really dont have idea about preamps...

assume that my listening room is far smaller than your master bedroom.

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                        • May 2004

Beehive-

If you get a Rotel that starts with RSX, you are ready to go. These receivers (this term is not as popular outside of the US) include the Amp, the Pre-Amp, the Surround Processing, the Tuner and the Video Switching.

If you get a Rotel that starts with RSP, then you will require additional products.

Bottom line 1. Denon 2805 $900 2. Rotel RSX-1056 $1300

2 Is better than 1, but also more expensive.
                        Good luck

Comment

• beehive
                          • May 2005

thanks IntegreMe, i will check if there is a dealer in this place.

Comment

• beehive
                            • May 2005

DENON is back in Bahrain...

So i will update this thread...
                            I went there and saw 2805 on sale ( i guess it was there for sometime
                            until they offered Denon again...is it still worth buying them at $750?
                            i told the rep it is expensive but claimed it is made in japan unlike the other models which were made in china?
                            does that make the difference?

As i mentioned in this thread i have 602 s3 on fronts, and desperately wanted to drive them with denon now....

there is no ROTEL here.

other available models are...3805, 2106 @ and 1906...
                            the manager told me new stocks are on the way now...

please help, cant afford more than a thousand bucks.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"