X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddmorr
    • Sep 2005

B&W 703 vs. KEF iQ9

Well, I was about to pull the trigger on a new system consisting of a Rotel 1080/1070 plus RCD1072 with the B&W 703 and then I heard the new KEF iQ9. Very smooth, soft, very impressive. Plus, here in Japan they happen to sell for around $1800 a pair, compared to the B&W at $2600. I can afford the extra $ for the B&W but thats a significant difference. I like the clarity of the 703 but am a bit worried that it might get tiresome.
    Anybody have an opinion on the KEF? note the iQ9 is very similar to the Q11 sold everywhere else in the world.

Todd Morris
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Welcome Todd. Let us know what you decide.

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

FWIW, I have some older kef uni-Q series bookshelf speakers, and the 703 is vastly superior even where the bookshelf should have been OK, upper-mids and highs. The smoothness you describe, I would translate into less clarity. Soft is not a quality for a speaker, imo, unless you just want to relax and not be disturbed by hearing all the details. The 703 has been described as bright, which to me means that it can playback crisp notes when required. The bass performance is great, probably similar to the iQ9.

However, the mid and tweeter is where the difference is. The iQ9 crossover is 2.8khz, the 703 is 4khz. The iQ9 has an Titanium plated mid held by a soft Butyl compound on the outside, which is very different than the kevlar held by a stiff compound in the 703. You should be able to hear that difference.

But my concern is that, placing the tweeter inside the mid, inevitably leads to compromises in designs, and interference, with the potential advantage that, up-close, the listener doesn't hear 2 separate sources... I never sit closer than 2m from the speakers, and the integration of sound sources from mid and tweeter on the 703 is perfect.

Finally, the iQ9 is quite light, only 16 kg, less than 703 at 27kg, which helps with deep bass.

To be fair, I haven't listened to the iQ9, but I can argue why I think the 703 is a better choice.

PS. Thanks peacock for your feedback, have you compared this kef to the b&w ? I didnt say "iQ9 will have a smaller sweet spot because the tweeter is in the middle", but the sweet spot will be smaller because of the stiffer mid-range than the kevlar. And I bought my Uni-Q speakers after believing the kef marketing material that the integrated mid + tweeter would help focus the sound ("a single point source of sound"), but I dont find this better than the 703 at a reasonable listening distance.
      Last edited by csuzor; 07 October 2005, 00:39 Friday.

Comment

• peacock
        • Oct 2005

Sad inaccuracies!

Czusor said "However, the mid and tweeter is where the difference is. The iQ9 crossover is 2.8khz, the 703 is 4khz. The iQ9 has an aluminium mid, which is known to "project" sound, so the sweet spot for the listener will be smaller than with the softer kevlar used in 703." - this is NOT true. iQ9 has an aluminium tweeter, not aluminium mid. Crossover point is not an issue here.

I can go on about the factual inaccuracies made by this writer. Like saying that iQ9 will have a smaller sweet spot because the tweeter is in the middle. That is even worse. Many expert magazines agree with KEF's claim that their "Uni-Q" point source design gives a noticeably more focused sound image and less critical sweet spot.

But let us forget that- it is fundamentally wrong to recommend one against the other, especially as Czusor admits he has never even heard iQ9! By the way, these speakers are very new on the market but more good FACTUAL info can be found at www.kef.com

Todd- go with the most important thing- your ears! Don't let some misguided "expert" give you totally false "advice"!!!

If you really want some "expert" reassurance then pick up the latest copy of the UK magazine HiFi Choice- which has just covered iQ9.

Comment

• fatcat
          • Feb 2005

Hi Todd,

I just sent you a private message. But just to add, I have used the 703s with McIntosh amplification for a year, and I find the Mac amp to be a great match. Perhaps the slightly warmer color of the McIntosh tones down the 703s a bit, but that's personal taste in the end. They are very clear indeed.

Comment

• Tim_S
            • Apr 2006

B&W 703 vs KEF iQ9

I have heard the KEF iQ9 and have previously owned KEF's with uni Q technology. And made direct comparisons to B&W speakers both at this entry level and in high end systems. ( I replaced my KEF's with the Wilson Audio Sophia, due to a similar tonal balance to the KEF's that I enjoyed so much)
            The B&W's do have a forward presentation which would be compounded by the crisp presentation of Rotel amplification - adding up to a potentially fatiguing or overly bright sound. However, the KEF's 'slightly' warm presentation would compliment the Rotel to give a more neutral or balanced sound.
            These are both very highly regarded speakers; system synergy will come from carefully partnering them with amplification and sources that suit YOUR ears.

One final caveat, try hard to audition these speakes with your or very similar setup.

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fatcat
              But just to add, I have used the 703s with McIntosh amplification for a year, and I find the Mac amp to be a great match. Perhaps the slightly warmer color of the McIntosh tones down the 703s a bit, but that's personal taste in the end. They are very clear indeed.
              That's also my setup, and it's so sweet :T

Which model do you have exactly?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"