X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

HTM2D review ???? Please Anyone ?

Anyone with this unit care to give us an overview however brief .... will be much appreciated.

Rgds Steve.
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

Good Afternoon,

My friend has installed the 802D and HTM@ combination about a month ago.

I will ask him his opinion, and revert to you.

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

Thanks Caleb.

Comment

• xk8boy
        • Jul 2005

Hi Stevebez, would like to help you out. want kind of information are you looking for. From my own limited judgement, I can say the HTM2D intergrates with the 802D well. Human voices sound natural. I have heard some centre sound quite harsh. I dont listen to multichannel music, so cant say how well it sound musically but for movies, its the bees knees.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

The HTM2D is great. It is a step above the HTM3S. There is more mid tones and bass than the HTM3S. I think this might be do to the fact that the rear of the unit is "vented" so there is a slight more "kick" the speakers are 1/2" larger than the HTM3S but I don't think that makes as much a difference as the case of the speaker. Not to mention that the tweeter is the diamond which matches well with the 802D's. I would recommend this speaker for 802D down to the 800D if space doesn't eprmit the HTM1D which is huge. Great speaker and lots of detail as it is THE most important speaker in a HT

Comment

• Stevebez
            • Oct 2003

Thanks guys will try and get an audition at home from my dealer ...

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

Hi Steve,
              I took my HTM1 centre (the old model) to my friends at the weekend and we spend a few hours doing an A/B test with both is music and my own.

The new HTM2 is most definately a step above my "old" HTM1 - the vopices are far clearer and natural and the bigger bass speakers also give more punch.

Would I buy the new HTM2 over my old HTM1?

Yes probably when my new 800s arrive in October as I feel that it will be a better match.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

Stevebez; I have the HTM2D with 800D fronts and N802 rears. The HTM2D does an excellent job integrating with the fronts. voices are very clear. I would highly reccomend this speaker.

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

Many thanks guys - very helpfull - just need to get around the "wife-factor" and its done.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Gort
                    • Aug 2005

Hi,

I've just upgraded my fronts from Nautilus 800/HTM1 to 800D/HTM2D. My HTM2D is about 1 foot away from the wall under a plasma screen. The 800D's are over 6 feet out from the wall.

Due to the rear firing ports on the HTM2D I'm now getting bass boom (reflections) which the HTM1 didn't suffer from in the same position. I've had to change the centre speaker setting from large to small and cross over at 80Hz to remove this effect.

Can other owners please let me know how far their HTM2D is from the rear wall and the processor settings.

Thanks

Gort

Comment

• xk8boy
                      • Jul 2005

Gort mine is about 1.5 foot away from the back wall. try that. and the processor setting? large.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I've got a new HTM3S in the box if anybody in Europe is interested. I bought the HTM2D and used the 3S for a couple of weeks and that's it.

Comment

• Indytown
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by xk8boy
                          Gort mine is about 1.5 foot away from the back wall. try that. and the processor setting? large.
                          Why not try putting in the foam plug that are supplied; should fix some of the rear boom.

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

Ah... good point - I was quite worried about this since the placement for me of the HTM2D would have to be almost right up against the front wall.

The bung should help to considerbly reduce the booming.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Gort
                              • Aug 2005

Thanks for the replies. :T

I didn't get any foam plugs in the box so I will email B&W to get a set.

Comment

• Indytown
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Gort
                                Thanks for the replies. :T

I didn't get any foam plugs in the box so I will email B&W to get a set.
                                I would think that once you place the foam plugs you should be able to lower your cross over to the mininum allowed by the HTM2D taking into consideration the roll off. The HTM goes to 41hz +/- 3db. I would say you should be safe at about 50hz roll off playing full range. You need to listen playing music to tweak it.

I would play around with how deep you insert the plugs; fully inserted less bass, less insertion some flow.

A second opinion would be appreciated.

It is a large speaker comparable to the 803S in size with a diamond tweeter on top. HTM2D 33inch wide 803 42 inch; when you take away the space above and below the drivers on the 803 and add several inches to the height and depth off the HTM the volume starts to equalize.

It should sound very good in your application.

Indy

Comment

• xk8boy
                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Indytown
                                  Why not try putting in the foam plug that are supplied; should fix some of the rear boom.
                                  I have never used the those plugs, and would only ever touch them as a last resort. To me, those plugs are altering the designed flow of the air and that must effect sounds in more ways than one.

IMHO, location, location, location is your best bet. afterall you just brought top of the range center and now you're going to use some cheap foam plugs infront of it.??

Comment

• Indytown
                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by xk8boy
                                    I have never used the those plugs, and would only ever touch them as a last resort. To me, those plugs are altering the designed flow of the air and that must effect sounds in more ways than one.

IMHO, location, location, location is your best bet. afterall you just brought top of the range center and now you're going to use some cheap foam plugs infront of it.??
                                    Your right it will effect the bass that is lost in the cabinet and routed through the rear. I would imagine that the cabinet and flow ports are tuned to minimize turbulance as they say. I would think the only time that you would have any type of meaningfull air presure would be at very very high volumes, volumes where you can not talk in the room.

If this is his only solution it shouldn't be bad.

I have to agree will you though, the idea behind the Roachell bass woofer material with is a thicker material, lightness, etc is to have less refected sound from within the cabinets penatrate back through the driver and colour the bass frequencies.

I would not think the plugs would relect but would asorb and pass through some of the sound depending on the thickness and insertion of the plug.

Indy

Comment

• Gort
                                      • Aug 2005

I tried moving the HTM2D out to 2 feet away from the wall and still got reflections at modest listening levels. I will wait for the bungs to arrive, they will obviously stop the boom.

I'm thinking about placing some Auralex behind the speaker if the bungs have any noticable side effects.

Comment

• xk8boy
                                        • Jul 2005

I tried moving the HTM2D out to 2 feet away from the wall and still got reflections at modest listening levels. I will wait for the bungs to arrive, they will obviously stop the boom.

I'm thinking about placing some Auralex behind the speaker if the bungs have any noticable side effects.

Gort, I am a bit suprised to hear that you're still getting bass boom. Are the HTM2D enclosed in a cabinet or is free standing? Are they on spikes?

Comment

• Gort
                                          • Aug 2005

xk8boy

It normally sits on a wall shelf which has spikes that sit on some kind of decoupling mechanism. Obviously this only leaves about a foot of space behind the speaker.

So I put it on the old HNE granite HTM1 stand I used a couple of years ago and moved it further into the room.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                            • Mar 2005

Gort;

I have my HTM2D on a shelf above the TV about 4 inches from the wall. I don't have the bungs installed and don't have a problem with bass boom.

Comment

• xk8boy
                                              • Jul 2005

xk8boy

It normally sits on a wall shelf which has spikes that sit on some kind of decoupling mechanism. Obviously this only leaves about a foot of space behind the speaker.

So I put it on the old HNE granite HTM1 stand I used a couple of years ago and moved it further into the room.

Ummm. how very odd. Well, one last thing before you get your plugs, I'm going to asumme you're bywiring your center if not do so. Have you checked that you have wired them correctly? check all connection points, speaker and amp. I would go as far as pulling them out, give them a good wipe to remove any oxidation and reconnecting. again make sure they're correctly reconnected.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

Gort,

I've got my htm2d about 3ft from the rear wall on an angle placed on a glass shelf see below. No Boom what so ever. Sounds sweet. Matched with 802D's. No problem. Are you in phase. Can you put up a foto of your position of the speaker ? Ii was also interested to see how your spike setup looks as I am just using rubber feet as its on glass.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"