• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

N802's a tad light.

Hi folks,
    I need some thoughts.
    My 802's seem a wee light in the lower fequencies at low volumes. Once I crank up the vol a bit more, they blossom.
    I am running them with a Levinson 332.
    Q.
    Is it a lack of adequate amplification? Will I get the improved lower end at low volumes with more powerful monoblocks e.g 436's, krell 350mcx's or

They are currently on carpets and on the castors. I am getting a stand made for them and then I will be putting them on spikes which will then stand on the granite stands.

Will that help?
    Thanks,
    George.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Georgev,

Two thoughts:

The ear is less sensitive to bass and treble at low volumes (hence the old "loudness" controls on some older stereos). You need to get up at about 70-80 db for the ear to hear bass as the same level as midrange... So it depends how quiet you are talking about?

Also consider position - sometimes moving speakers like the 802s just 6 inches further away / closer to the walls or corners can make a big difference to bass - volumes at your listening position To check for this try walking around the room and seeing if there is anywhere where they bass sounds louder and more balanced...

Geoff

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

I keep my N802's away from the walls due to to much boom. I believe your Levinson has 200 wpc. That should be fine. I'm running a Proceed (kin of the Levinson) at 150 wpc.

The other way I obtained a thicker bass ( not boomy ) is bicable the 802's. I had on loan an old pair of Audioquest Crystal just for the low end. It wasn't a good cable for the mid/high side. That seemed to help with low end presence. ON a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say it's a 3+ as far as
      the improvement in low end. The Crystal is a garden hose type cable, heavy guage. I believe the lower resistance help a little.

I'm not saying buy AQ but just to try a low gauge cable in a dual cable per speaker configuration. That might be what your looking for.

Jeff

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

I am using the AQ pikes peak biwire.
        I suppose from you bothare saying, I really should not look at changing my amp. but try the room acoustics as well as positioning and placement on sth. more solid.
        George.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"