How to stop people from damging 800 series tweeter thinking they are Karoke Mics

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

How to stop people from damging 800 series tweeter thinking they are Karoke Mics

Anyone know how one can protect or stop anyone from touching or damaging Nautilus tweeters of the 800 series thinking they are Karoke microphones?
    Are there any protection covers etc.. or gadgets that can protect these delicate tweeters from children pulling on them or when guest come in and think they are Karoke microphones especially ,if they had a couple to drink. I find it so embarassing to remind everyone that comes to my house not to touch the tweeters, or remind people that these are not Karoke microphones (THANK GOD..I hate Karoke). There must be something one can do to play music when one has lots of guest at home and at the same protect the tweeters without having to be always looking over your shoulder ,or especially when kids come over to watch HT etc.. Any solutions here. They would cost an arm and a leg if they were yanked!! Ouch I dread that day ,and I see that day around the corner if I don't find a solution such as a cover for the speaker or some sort of protection device?? I'm all ears.
    Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

what about just... sticking up a sign *DO NOT TOUCH*

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

*laugh* I agree, a sign is about the best you are going to do besides not having anyone other than your spouse or yourself allowed in that area --> *!!!DO NOT TOUCH!!!* should do it and maybe add * - THESE ARE FLUX CAPACITORS, RISK OF EXCRUCIATING FATAL ELECTRIC SHOCK - *
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Ash
        • Dec 2004

chinet,

I have the same fears! I'm really tired of watching out and asking people not to touch those speakers. I don't understand why do they think that they are microphones. Why would someone have so many microphones?

I also can see the day they will be damaged soon? I know that someone will touch the grill and will push the tweeter in.

I wonder why did they design the tweeter grills this way. Why aren't they twisted on.

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I'll have to put notices on my speaker. Better to be safe than sorry. It will look cheap to do that but it won't be cheap to fix if they got yaked or something..right!!!!! Why couldn't B&W have had an accessory that actually covers the tweeter microphone part with an inverted box that does not touch the tweeter but sort of exposes the mouth of the tweeter with a hole so that you can hear the tweeter but not touch it when guests are around etc ( The 700 series have it well designed Is that why they discontinued the Nautilus series???)... I should actually ask a carpenter to manufacture and customize such a box that fits on top of the speaker with two holes from the front and back so you can actually use the speaker and let the tweeters sing. How about that?? I will do one first and try it out then send pictures to this forum and see what all you Nautilus owners think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have a musical day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• caleb
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ti33er
            *laugh* I agree, a sign is about the best you are going to do besides not having anyone other than your spouse or yourself allowed in that area --> *!!!DO NOT TOUCH!!!* should do it and maybe add * - THESE ARE FLUX CAPACITORS, RISK OF EXCRUCIATING FATAL ELECTRIC SHOCK - *
            ;x( I had to laugh at this one Paul, but in retrospect - why not put a couple on the top and then you can have the last laug when they touch them? :rofl:

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

I just took mine off. They are just for show, right?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                • Mar 2005

Simple. I put all my guests on notice that if they yank on them, they will be getting a bill. I will also explain to them how much they will be out of pocket if they need to satisfy their curiosity. Fortunately, everyone I invite over to my place has had the common sense and manners not to mess with any of my stuff (anything) unless they ask me first. I don't go into people's houses grabbing at stuff without asking I expect the same courtesy.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                  • Jan 2005

We would all get along so well if we ever met... Just think, you wouldn't have to tell me not to touch the screen, I wouldn't try to rip the tweeter off in order to sing in it, I wouldn't ask how much it costs, and then offer up a number that is way too low, and I wouldn't even comment that the sub should be cranked up more!

Comment

• Jesse111
                    • Jul 2005

I can't imagine my friends treating my equipment like that. How old are your friends? 10?

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

No Jesse 111 ,many people have a curious side to them and can't keep themselves from touching and wanting to sing with them as they do look like microphones, don't they??? If it looks like a microphone and quacks like a microphone then it is probably a microphone..that should answer the curious minds. Obviously most people do not have the refinement in them or the knowledge that upscale speakers can look different, and most people would think a speaker is a box and don't have mics on the top...get the drift. I love your set up just like mine and I hope nobody messes with your tweeters, you'll be surprised. Just read what Mr. Jetflyguy said earlier...he has the correct point and the right frame of mind. I wish there were more people like us that can aprreciate the good things in life without having to worry about ignorant people who have curious little minds..Right!!!!??????

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

Preventative measures

Take a strap of inch wide spring steel and pass this over the top of the tweeters.

You then screw it into the Marlan head on either side.

I'll bet no-one can remove the tweeters now! ! ! ! :rofl:

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
                          I just took mine off. They are just for show, right?
                          NO! They are for lip-synching into just like a microphone.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"