X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

New 803S' or used N802 when both cost the same

Here's a question: If both cost the same and the 802 is a superior speaker to the 803, then why buy new 803S' for the same price you can pick up perfect condition used N802's ?

I went with the new technology 803S' but as I look at the 802D's which are twice the price I ponder.
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

I didn't, bought a used pair of N802's over 803S or 803D. The N802's were actually cheaper...than the 803D's that I was auditioning.

Comment

• Amarkus1
      • Jun 2005

Same. I just bought a pair of demo N802's for a good price. Now I just need to sell my N803's.
      Last edited by Amarkus1; 21 June 2005, 10:13 Tuesday.

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

Used N802's should be just fine. The N802's I purchased were also demo's and there great. I like the fact I didn't need to break them in and they were much cheaper than new.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Well, I've already ordered the 803S' new so there's not much I can do unless I upgrade and pay full price for a new pair of 802D's which is not likely at all. In Europe the discounted price is $11340 believe it or not and thats' with a good 23% off the price. I paid $5400 for the 803S' (thats -23%)

Doesn't the requirements of an 802D mean you need to step up in power as well. I have Krell Kav's and that might be underpowering anyhow.

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

Enjoy the speakers you have and don't question it or ask for opinions about other speakers...otherwise it will eat you alive!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

My Brain hears what you're saying, but my heart trying to figure it out.

Comment

• RNKC
                • Jun 2005

The N802 is a big speaker that needs a big room to truly breathe and do its thing properly. It will sound nice in a small room but it will sound so much better in a larger one. You also need a pretty serious amp to drive it well. These are 2 very important reasons to consider an 803 variant over an 802.

IMHO of course.

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

Well, you will never reach audio nirvana...there will ALWAYS be something better, bigger, cleaner...etc...and of course more costly!

So, to solicit opinions after you made the decision to buy it is non-sense. Not to say, I haven't done it myself...

There's no need to rack your brain for reassurance from other club members wheter you made the right choice or not. You have an excellent speaker. I understand there are sublte differences between the two....so just enjoy the music!

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I second junior's sentiments. The 803S's are nice speakers and you got a great discount for them to boot!
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Went with the 802D's couldn't resist

Well, contrary to everything, like being pulled in by a tractor beam, the 802D's could not be resisted. My accountant figured out a way to buy them and save big $$ so it now was very do-able indeed. I've ordered the 802D's today.

So I'll have the 802D's as fronts, Htm3S center, and 804S' as the surrounds with the ASW825 picking up sub duty at only under 40hz for special effects in HT probably. I'll now play stereo in 2 speaker mode and I'm not sure how it will work out with SACD, but I've go the feeling its gonna be OK.
                      Last edited by misterdoggy; 23 June 2005, 06:42 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"