X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregoree
    • Feb 2005

Subwoofers - B&W or ..........

What is everyone's thoughts on subwoofers. Do you run a B&W subwoofer (when used) with your B&W speakers or do you use an alternative brand and if so what and why. Any thoughts/comments on this would be appreciated.
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

I have 601's. Do I run a B&W sub with them? No. Why? Simply stated, performance vs. $. I run an SVS PB10-ISD. For $429, I get a sub with 300 continuous watts and frequency response down to 20hz. I can't get that low with a B&W until I spend $1600 (ASW750). There is no need to match a sub with your set up. However, if you like the idea of going all B&W, so be it. Their subs are no slouches. But if you're looking to get serious performance without spending a boatload of dough, you'll have to look at manufacturers other than B&W. That's no knock on B&W. They do make some great (higher up) subs...you're just going to pay through the nose for them. Pound for pound (or I guess dollar for dollar), they can't touch SVS, Hsu, Rocket, Adire and some others, IMO.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

gregoree,

I have an ASW750 sub which I use with a pair of B&W CDM9NTs and Rotel gear for 2.1 music only. The 9NTs were the previous model to the 703s and sound very similar. The 750 has added so much to my system.

I live down in Christchurch and I have some suggestions about where to buy B&W gear in NZ. If you like I can send you a PM about it.

Comment

• gregoree
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by corysmith01
        I have 601's. Do I run a B&W sub with them? No. Why? Simply stated, performance vs. $. I run an SVS PB10-ISD. For $429, I get a sub with 300 continuous watts and frequency response down to 20hz. I can't get that low with a B&W until I spend $1600 (ASW750). There is no need to match a sub with your set up. However, if you like the idea of going all B&W, so be it. Their subs are no slouches. But if you're looking to get serious performance without spending a boatload of dough, you'll have to look at manufacturers other than B&W. That's no knock on B&W. They do make some great (higher up) subs...you're just going to pay through the nose for them. Pound for pound (or I guess dollar for dollar), they can't touch SVS, Hsu, Rocket, Adire and some others, IMO.
        Cory just starting to realise this. Have you any thoughts/comments on Velodyne subwoofers? These (CHT-R, SPL-II and Digital Drive) are available in NZ and I have read some good reports on them.
        Greg

Comment

• gregoree
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
          gregoree,

I have an ASW750 sub which I use with a pair of B&W CDM9NTs and Rotel gear for 2.1 music only. The 9NTs were the previous model to the 703s and sound very similar. The 750 has added so much to my system.

I live down in Christchurch and I have some suggestions about where to buy B&W gear in NZ. If you like I can send you a PM about it.
          Thanks bigburner. I have a retailer in Hamilton who has looked after me over the years and is a B&W dealer. Did you consider any other subwoofer prior to getting the ASW750?? Would you have got the ASW750 if you had a HT setup or would you consider an alternative brand? Looking/trying to help a friend decide what to buy and at some stage I will be wanting to do the same thing - thus my interest in selecting a subwoofer. My friend is looking at an ASW675 to match his 600 series speakers and when the time comes I would consider the ASW750 but would like to know how they stack up against subwoofers from other (dedicated) manufacturers. Cheers

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

There is no need to match a sub with your set up.
            :huh:

I have to say that this statement is not true. Each speaker company has its own "sound" to its product and are designed to be so. So for example matching a subwoofer that has a boosted slower bass from one brand to a main speaker from another that has a faster more flat response will not match well. or vice versa.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• scottielee
              • Apr 2005

for music playback, subwoofers are notoriously difficult to integrate with main speakers for seamless response. to make things easier and to get the best performance out of any subwoofer, i would look into a room eq device to go with a b&w sub if you must choose b&w. i took the easy way out and ordered a velodyne dd-12 (still waiting to arrive).

Comment

• gregoree
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by scottielee
                for music playback, subwoofers are notoriously difficult to integrate with main speakers for seamless response. to make things easier and to get the best performance out of any subwoofer, i would look into a room eq device to go with a b&w sub if you must choose b&w. i took the easy way out and ordered a velodyne dd-12 (still waiting to arrive).
                Scottielee the Velodyne is one alternative I was suggesting to my friend to consider. Have you heard this subwoofer in operation and will it be used for HT and/or music? What do you mean by "taking the easy way out"? Are you saying the Velodyne is easier to integrate into a system? What made you decide on the DD-12? Please excuse all the questions but subwoofers are something I do NOT know a lot about (just that they produce BASS). Thanks

Comment

• scottielee
                  • Apr 2005

sorry, i don't mean to turn this into a velodyne thread but here is a good description/review of the dd-12 with room eq:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

a good room eq system with on-screen display capabilities will help integrating a sub tremendously. without such a system, one has to figure out the volume of the sub's output at varies frequencies, then adjust the volume where it is needed to smooth out the response across and matching the output of other speakers. unfortunately, not all subs come with separate volume controls at different frequencies. without proper tools, finding the best sub placement and adding room treatments become your only hope.

note that proper setup is more crucial for music, and less so for movies.

i have never heard a sub in my system (including the dd-12), so i am by no means an expert. i am just aware that integration of any driver into a speaker system can be very difficult, and i need all the tools i can get.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

gregoree,

I agree with scottielee that having volume control on the sub would be a wonderful feature as the bass on music varies so much from album to album, and even from track to track on the same album. Unfortunately only high-end B&W subs come with a remote volume control. That would be such an easy feature for B&W to add to their lower models at minimal cost.

I selected the 750 because it was the closest 'fit' for my CDM9NTs, and the fit is important as I only use my system for music. I have located the sub right next to one of the 9NTs to maximise the integration, and fortunately the volume knob is reasonably accessible. I have set the low pass filter on the sub to 80Hz to ensure that the sub doesn't replicate any of the frequencies being played on the 9NTs. I believe that this improves the stereo imaging.

The other reason I bought the 750 was because I was offered an exceptionally good price.

The only other sub I auditioned was the 850 which was more than I wanted to spend.

Comment

• RjS805
                      • Jun 2005

I am using an Outlaw LFM-1 with my 602.5's and this things is a butt kicker!!! For only $579 and a 30 money back guarantee you can't go wrong. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1.html

Comment

• Stevebez
                        • Oct 2003

I have 803D's and Velodyne DD-12 ... fabulous combo. 803's loosening up nicely now, and DD12 is just awesome in controlled, loud, tight bass.

Bass / subs are so subjective though ... depends on your music taste and personal preferences...

Great software as well with DD12 makes integration setup with 803's and av processor seamless and accurate.

Recommended.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"