• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Classe Amps with B&W speakers

Hello Everybody!

Does anyone here use the older Classe CA series to power their B&W speakers? I am looking at upgrading power to my N803's and HTM1. I checked out the new Classe CA3200 at my dealer which is a 3 channel amp.Its nice, but $6000 plus tax is a little more than I want to spend right now. So I thought of maybe going with a pre-owned CA201 and a CA101. Anyone use these models before? If so how was the performance? I am hoping to tame the high frequency on these speakers a bit, Rotel seems to be a tiny bit harsh on the upper end and the newr Classe seems to be smoother.

THX,
    Robert P.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I sent you a PM.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• joeb
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
      Hello Everybody!

Does anyone here use the older Classe CA series to power their B&W speakers?

Robert P.
      Robert, about 4 years ago, Classe had just switched over to the " new line" of CA 201, 301 and 401 series amps. I did a little research and found that there was little difference between that line and the previos line of CA 200, 300 and 400 amps. I picked up a fairly new CA 300 then and am currently using it with matching Classe pre-amp and CDP and the BW N 803. I seriously doubt if the newest line: CA 3200 etc. is significantly better than the old line, except for some "bells and whistles". mayber more ins/outs for HT etc. Classe' is a quality line and you can't beat the BW/Classe synergy. However, I would go with at least the 300 watt amp for the BW N803, they are power hungry. I think you would be disappointed with the 201 and the 101 would be
      seriously underpowered and my guess is you'd experience some clipping.
      good luck
      joeb

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Soundgravy
        Hello Everybody!

Does anyone here use the older Classe CA series to power their B&W speakers? I am looking at upgrading power to my N803's and HTM1. I checked out the new Classe CA3200 at my dealer which is a 3 channel amp.Its nice, but $6000 plus tax is a little more than I want to spend right now. So I thought of maybe going with a pre-owned CA201 and a CA101. Anyone use these models before? If so how was the performance? I am hoping to tame the high frequency on these speakers a bit, Rotel seems to be a tiny bit harsh on the upper end and the newr Classe seems to be smoother.

THX,
        Robert P.
        Avoid the 101, 201 is great. N803 is very efficient so I don't think you will experience clipping unless you listen very very loud. That being said, I have recently upgraded from CAM-200 to CAM-350 and having the extra power is nice because the CAM-350 at 200W is much cleaner than the CAM-200 at 200W. I was on the edge of pushing the CAM-200 because I do listen loud, but my room is HEAVILY damped (on purpose of course).

I don't think the CA-301 is worth the extra money for HT/stereo setup, but you be the judge. I may have a CAM-200 for sale shortly once I get my CAM-350 for the center installed. That may go nicely with your CA-201 if you get it.

Older series is a much better value than new. No way I am paying those crazy prices for the new stuff. They are about 20% overpriced. You can tell because already on Audiogon, they are being sold for much more of a loss than a typical new product that is priced "right."

Comment

• Jonathannk
          • Mar 2005

I use a Classe CA300 to power my N802s with great results. You won't be dissapointed in any of the older line stuff. They retain their value quite well too in my opinion.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
            • Mar 2005

I have the CAM350s powering my 800Ds... Great match. If you can find a pair for sale, these are great amps with lots of clean power.

Comment

• K.K.
              • Jul 2005

My dealer is giving me a decent discount on the 301 (new and boxed). Is this worth considering versus the new CA-2200 to drive my pair of 803S ?

Thanks

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                • Jan 2005

I am using the CA-5200 to power 803S and HTM3 center. I like it very much.

Comment

• K.K.
                  • Jul 2005

Thanks! I had the impression that more Watts = More Bass on the B&Ws but this does not appear to be the case. ;x(

Comment

• jgoraieb
                    • Aug 2005

I use a CA301 (CP 65 Pre) with B&W N802 ...get the right source and you have reached musical nirvana

Comment

• Kobus
                      • Aug 2005

as you say, more watts is not the issue, I am currently having to go through a costly upgrade due to being misinformed about the "watt" issue. Not directed at you, but how many people out there are being misinformed by WATT's.

Comment

• stewfoo
                        • Jul 2005

Jetflyguy,
                        are you biambing the 5200 with the three front speakers? What did you have before the 5200 and how does it compare?
                        Stewfoo
                        Stew

Comment

• stewfoo
                          • Jul 2005

Today I just bought a Classe SSP-300 Pre-proc and classe 3200 for my 803s and htm3s fronts. This should be a little improvement over my Rotel 1068 and 1095 combo. Also, I bought the Velodyne DD18 to replace my REL Stentor III. I was looking for a little more HT slam with the Velodyne. I got a SMOKIN' deal on everything. I went in for a power conditioner and I walked out with a bunch of classe and velodyne stuff. WOOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

But now, 5 months after my purchase, I am replacing everything and dumping the REL and Rotel stuff.... I guess it is time to hit up ebay or audiogon

Stew
                          Stew

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                            • Jan 2005

I have the 803s Bi-Wired, but not Bi-Amped. I am running the DS7 surrounds off of the CA-5200 in addition to the front stage. Prior to this configuration, I was using Rotel electronics and B&W 700 series speakers. I was not happy with the tonal quality of the B&Ws, as I felt they were rather harsh. The acoustic treatments (RPG) are a huge benefit, but I never got to hear what the Rotel/700 gear sounded like in the softer environment.

Comment

• stewfoo
                              • Jul 2005

Jet fly guy,
                              How do you like the classe piece? How does it sound with the 803s
                              Which processor are you using?
                              Stewfoo
                              Stew

Comment

• Eliav
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kobus
                                as you say, more watts is not the issue, I am currently having to go through a costly upgrade due to being misinformed about the "watt" issue. Not directed at you, but how many people out there are being misinformed by WATT's.
                                Hi Kobus
                                What exactly do you mean by being misinformed about watts ?
                                Eliav
                                :T Socrat

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"